Modified superdish for 97w

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mroodey

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
Would it be possible to modify a superdish to replace the lnbs with a linear lnb and to get 97w?

It might be, I believe those are 36x20 right?

At that size, I'm not positive how some of the weaker transponders will respond. If you can find a used Primestar dish or something similar (at least 30" diameter) you might have more success. Still, it never hurts to try!

I always thought you could use the Dishpro FSS lnbf that was already on there with a free to air receiver.

I would imagine those dishes would be pretty decent for G25 KU.

You can point the Ku LNB that is already on the Superdish at 97w, and you'll get most of the transponders. The dish is a bit on the small side, so some of the weaker transponders might not come in well.

The main thing to consider is that the Ku LNB on a Superdish is stacked, which means it sends down the horizontal transponders at the same time as the vertical ones by "stacking" them at a higher frequency above the verticals.

Be precise in the alignment. I found the results to be better than expected for all the channels I like to watch. Includes Al Jazeera, FTV, Russia Today. I also have a beat-up warped old Alphastar dish of about the same surface area that still works good enough for those transponders too. If anyone takes a look at that dish, they would shake their head and say no way, junk it. I'm even using one of my converted DTV LNBF's on it. Playing with the LO to drop the frequency from 11250 to 10750, and removing the circular polarizer, but not modding the bandpass area to maximize output. So the overall efficiency and performance of the Alphastar is further degraded. If I instead used a more efficient off the shelf Ku LNBF, and pressed the dish surface back into shape, it would work almost as well as the Superdish. But the point is, I'm still able to watch the channels I mentioned.

Try the Superdish and see how you like it. Accurately positioned and skewed, of course. I still would recomend using a 1 meter or larger Ku dish. Performance is superior under all conditions. A 1.2 or larger commercial dish is a fine looking and performing, serious piece of hardware.

I remember installing a superdish for my uncle back in the day when his locals were on the 105W (amc-2 then) and signal was horrible on a DP-301. signal quality on a sunny clear day was in the 50's.

olliec420,
Is your super dish a totally stock one that you used to hit 123? If so thats great news, as i have one all ready mounted on a pole!

Been looking high and low for a primestar dish as everything i had read seem to discourage the use of the Super Dish for true fta!

So if yours is bone stock thats great!

yup i did it, i works!

I was just wanting to remove all the stock lnbs and just mount a 10dollar universal or standard linear LNB off of ebay. I am not sure about the arm length though. Would it need to be cut?

I was just wanting to remove all the stock lnbs and just mount a 10dollar universal or standard linear LNB off of ebay. I am not sure about the arm length though. Would it need to be cut?

It's not necessary to cut the arm, but you will need to be creative mounting the LNBF. The 1.25-1.5" conduit clamps from the hardware store work nicely. Keep the LNBF at about the same location as the original to keep the elevation scale correct.

The original FSS LNBF will work fine, unless it was one of those that suffered from heat death.

save yourself the effort

Actually, there are several models of SuperDish, with various configurations of LNBs.
Below, I'm thinking of the model for 121º, with an FSS LNB beside a circular for 119º . . .
Post a few pictures , if you can.

The existing LNB has an oval feedhorn to match the shape of the dish.
Replacing it with a cheapie LNB probably isn't worth the effort.
The dish can be skewed if you are not motorized, so the fixed LNB mount is no drawback.

edit: added picture.
The LNB and horn to the right is 121º, the hardware to the left is 119º circular.

Attachments

• 09-24-06_121-LNBtopView.jpg
    09-24-06_121-LNBtopView.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 178
olliec420,
Is your super dish a totally stock one that you used to hit 123? If so thats great news, as i have one all ready mounted on a pole!

Been looking high and low for a primestar dish as everything i had read seem to discourage the use of the Super Dish for true fta!

So if yours is bone stock thats great!

yes mine was stock but it was a 105 which had a lil different lnb but it will still work just fine on yours

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)