Modify old streaming box?

rtukani

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
PA
So I have this TV box from a company that became defunt back in 2012. The model of the box is a PS340L2. It has Ethernet, AV, S-video, USB, HDMI, etc. Is there any way to flash another firmware on it or turn it into some kind of streaming box, besides being a paperweight?

Attachments

• 1423948127107-1537799582.jpg
    1423948127107-1537799582.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 511
  • 1423948192813-1996352712.jpg
    1423948192813-1996352712.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 1423948159389721950153.jpg
    1423948159389721950153.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 658
Hmmm. Looks like a Kartina TV box. Proprietary Russian service that is not defunct. Many for sale on eBay.

Well, it is the same model for the Kartina TV box. This was used for a company by the name of WatchIndia (Site: watchindia.tv). Without notice, they shut down their website and service, leaving thousands of customers, like me, with a paperweight. They were a Cyprus-based company that streamed Indian channels that this box would play. Since the box is practically useless, I was wondering if I could flash something to it since it has a USB port and stuff like WiFi, HDMI, Ethernet, etc.

I took a quick look and didn't find much. Problem is that it isn't a standard configuration like a Arduino. You need to know the hardware memory map in order to mod. The good news is that you probably only need to change the authorization code and the configuration for the IP addresses. Unfortunately, I don't see any articles on hacking these boxes. I suspect t is because they are still using them with the Russian system which would be considered piracy.

Sorry, I am stumped here. Probably not worth it when a Roku3 is well under $100.

I took a quick look and didn't find much. Problem is that it isn't a standard configuration like a Arduino. You need to know the hardware memory map in order to mod. The good news is that you probably only need to change the authorization code and the configuration for the IP addresses. Unfortunately, I don't see any articles on hacking these boxes. I suspect t is because they are still using them with the Russian system which would be considered piracy.

Sorry, I am stumped here. Probably not worth it when a Roku3 is well under $100.

Oh well. If you need any more info, don't afraid to ask! I can power the box up if you want more info. I just thought maybe if I can flash Kartina firmware and sell it, could be able to make some cash out of it. Thanks so much!

again, you are working against the Roku which has support. The ebay listings for these boxes is around $35. Not worth the hassle in my mind.

UPDATE: I found a way to get into the BOX! By it's IP I can go to the configuration page where I can change network settings, firmware, etc.. It seems the firmware is a .BIN file. Anything I can do?
jayn_j

You can update firmware from that page, but not load custom firmware, or firmware meant for something else from that page, most likely. Most device config pages can be accessed by the IP, but will only update firmware meant for the device from there. Depending on what the firmware and hardware actually is, it may or may not be illegal to mess with it.

You should try and look up the firmware on the internet, or maybe telnet into the box and see if you can determine what the firmware actually is and see if it's even something you can legally mess with. Or look up patents from the manufacturer, etc, etc. If it's something open source and not encrypted, not password protected, it might be legal to mess with, then maybe with a lot of effort you could do something, but very likely it's not worth it, you'd most likely need to build a new firmware yourself and be proficient in coding for the processor in the unit, memory, bus, etc, or do a stupendous amount of work.

If it's proprietary and closed source firmware, password protected or encrypted, walk away from it and don't mess with it. Even just using the hardware with different firmware could possibly be a issue, it may not be legal to flash different firmware into it, depending on what it is.

If you really want to pursue this, then search and read on the internet about what you want to do, without a box like yours physically in front of us there's no way to tell if it's legal to mess with it and hack stuff isn't allowed here, so it's kinda of a grey area, what you're trying to do, on here. My guess would be that it's proprietary, but that's just a guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts