modifying existing dish 500+722 setup

db130

Nov 7, 2008
MA
i signed up for the turbo hd silver+locals+dvr advantage package back in october. here is setup installed by the dish tech:

a single wire is coming from the 500 dish on the roof onto the grounding block by the side of the house. another wire then enters the house from the grounding block and goes to a basement diplexer. the satelite feed from the diplexer then goes to the livingroom where the 722 is. the 722's TV2 RF output is then carried back on the TV1 input wire via a diplexer back to the diplxer back in the basement. the basement diplexer's TV feed then goes to a bedroom SD CRT tv.

all worked well for 2 months. i was as happy as a clam. then i decided to buy a HDTV for the bedroom. the SD signal from the TV2 output is acceptable but obviously not HD quality. i bought a working 221k for the bedroom. i got rid of all of the diplexers and was hoping to run a multiswitch where the basement diplexer used to be.

would my proposed setup work? if not, would i need to run a 2nd wire from the grounding block all the way out to where the bedroom tv is? OR would i need run a 2nd wire all the way from the LNBF? thank you in advance.

Voyager6

*Cancelled*
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
Wokeville
would i need to run a 2nd wire from the grounding block all the way out to where the bedroom tv is? OR would i need run a 2nd wire all the way from the LNBF? thank you in advance.
You will need to run a second line from the LNB to the grounding block and then from the grounding block to the bedroom.

db130

Nov 7, 2008
MA
Thank you for responding.. The Dish promo for a 612 dvr installed for $25 sounds like a much easier alternative at this point.

db130

Nov 7, 2008
MA
I was misinformed.. I actually have a 1000.4 dish and a
DP Plus 1000.4 LNBF. The previously described wiring is the same though. I seem to have ONE wire from the LNB running to the grounding block, then one wire coming from the grounding block entering the house where it goes to a 722. The 1000.4 LNBF doesn't seem to have the necessary coax jack to run a 2nd wire to the grounding block. What would I need to run a 2nd receiver(a 211k)?

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
Along the bottom of the LNB head on the 1000.4 there are 3 connections for RG-6 coax out to receivers and one input (see attached picture).

Each of these three can support one dual tuner receiver.

You will have to open up the LNB head and string another RG-6 to port 2 inside the LNB, run it to the grounding block and then run it to the new receiver's seperator.

This is a link to the installation manual for the 1000.4 - might be helpful:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/images/Eastern_Arc_Antenna_Instructions.pdf

NOTE: I believe the satellite connection labels on the bottom of the LNB are incorrect because the internal switch makes each of these three ports available to all three LNB's.

Attachments

• 1000.4 LNB.jpg
    1000.4 LNB.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

db130

Nov 7, 2008
MA
that makes sense now... one last thing, if i hook up an OTA antenna to the LNB's input jack, would the OTA signal be carried down to the grounding block onto the existing single wire that is entering the house? would a diplexer then be able to separate the OTA and dish signal appropriately?

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
EKB Annex
No. The LNB In jack only accepts a DishPro LNB.

Unfortunately, Dish does not have a switch with an integrated diplexer. You will have to add a diplexer to the receiver output to combine the signals, then another inside to break them out. If both/all receivers need OTA, you need to split it outside to feed a diplexer on each receiver output, or diplex on just one line as before then split and distribute it after the inside diplexer, whichever way is more practical given the available wiring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)