Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jimmy Dean

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2006
Southern Cali
Wall Street Analyst Takes Look at DirecTV's 150-Channel Lineup

Noting that “litigation and hyperbole are running hot,” media analyst Craig Moffett Friday offered his analysis of what DirecTV’s promised 150-channel HDTV lineup may look like.

In a somewhat cheeky report, Sanford C. Bernstein’s Moffett agreed that DirecTV, the nation’s largest direct-broadcast satellite provider, is “winning the HD PR war,” citing the company’s latest TV ad with Pamela Anderson. But he suggested that there may be less there than meets the eye when DirecTV talks about 150 HD channels.

Moffett calculated that sports will make up more than 50% of DirecTV’s HD lineup. He believes the DBS providedr will count each of its 22 regional sports networks as an HDTV service, even if a subscriber has to be living in the market “of the RSN in order to receive most of these channels ... no matter. They all count.”

In his report, Moffett also suggested that DirecTV will count the MLB Extra Innings package as an additional 15 “channels.”

He added, “It’s not just sports where this liberal interpretation of a ‘channel’ is employed.” Moffett noted that in a recent announcement, the satellite provider counted Starz HD as five channels, which included Starz East and Starz West, the same programming airing three hours apart.

Moffett poked fun at DirecTV’s high-profile ad campaign, which is the subject of a pending lawsuit by Time Warner Cable.

“We know DirecTV is the best because of the panel of experts that DirecTV has assembled to weigh in on the matter,” Moffett wrote. “Authoritative figures such as Jessica Simpson, Shannon Elizabeth, the crew of the Starship Enterprise and [yes] Pamela Anderson [nice ensemble; we wonder what DTV’s target market is] have in a series of commercials over the last year been confirming what we all think to be true about HDTV.”

Moffett also took a swipe at cable and its HDTV promotion.

“No slouches themselves at obfuscation and bewilderment, Comcast recently announced a target of 800 HD ‘choices,’ clearly and meticulously counting every lame HD stream that a consumer could conceivably order up,” he wrote.

Moffett claimed that Time Warner Cable, emboldened by its switched-digital-video deployment, has “out-hyperboled everyone, promising ‘unlimited HD channels.’”

In summation, Moffett wrote, “Inflated claims aside, HD demand is going to revolve around the availability of --at most -- a few-dozen key channels for some time ... The rest is just noise -- noise with great picture clarity.”

Moffett Mocks DirecTV's HDTV Claims - 6/8/2007 2:31:00 PM - Multichannel News

I think that's why I appreciate E*'s "all action no words" approach so much.

I think that's why I appreciate E*'s "all action no words" approach so much.

Gee, how many new HD channels has E presented reciently ? and how soon till they buy another sat to throw some HD channels up there,instead of building thier own...

Outside of the VOOM package that they bought from others, just how much has E* delivered in HD in the last year... year and a half...2 yrs ?

Jimbo

If it wasn't for Voom ,Dish wouldn't have S%$# for HD channels.Half the voom channels stink anyway.And how many of the voom channels are National HD? Half them channels I've never seen on any other providers channel line up.

Sure, half the VOOM channels stink, but that half is different for everyone. No one can agree on which half. Doesn't matter, I'm usually watching NGHD anyway.

Sure, half the VOOM channels stink, but that half is different for everyone. No one can agree on which half. Doesn't matter, I'm usually watching NGHD anyway.

I think Hemi and my points were, that had it not been for Voom going under and DISH buying them, DISH would still be around the same number of HD channels as D* has at the moment .....

Jimbo

Give it up with the my **** is bigger than your **** mentality. It's really getting old and boring. The same people keep jumping into various threads here and on DBS Forum with their negative comments. No one gives a rat's arse what you think. Unless you can provide NEW information with substance, we don't want to keep hearing the same old negative crap you spew. Try being positive for a change.

I think Hemi and my points were, that had it not been for Voom going under and DISH buying them, DISH would still be around the same number of HD channels as D* has at the moment .....

Jimbo
Uh huh, like D* planned Spaceway to deliver 1500 HD locals, and not broadband internet via satellite. You take the opportunities that arise, if you're smart.
Hughes Network Systems Signs Operator Agreement With Boeing for Spaceway Satellite System | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

What did I miss? I go away for diner, spend time with family and watch Clerks 2 on HD DVD then back to lots of anger. I dont get any of it.

Uh huh, like D* planned Spaceway to deliver 1500 HD locals, and not broadband internet via satellite. You take the opportunities that arise, if you're smart.
Hughes Network Systems Signs Operator Agreement With Boeing for Spaceway Satellite System | SpaceRef - Your Space Reference

At least the Spaceway was a D* project and thier own, not something that was bought from a closing company.

MBetts,
I love the D* has done NOTHING in the last two years attitude ... have they opened thier eyes this year ? DISH has done what to add channels, borrow them from someone else

Jimbo

Give it up with the my **** is bigger than your **** mentality. It's really getting old and boring. The same people keep jumping into various threads here and on DBS Forum with their negative comments. No one gives a rat's arse what you think. Unless you can provide NEW information with substance, we don't want to keep hearing the same old negative crap you spew. Try being positive for a change.

IF this post is directed at me.

Tell me what NEW INFO you brought to the thread ???

Jimbo

Gee, how many new HD channels has E presented reciently ? and how soon till they buy another sat to throw some HD channels up there,instead of building thier own...

Outside of the VOOM package that they bought from others, just how much has E* delivered in HD in the last year... year and a half...2 yrs ?

Jimbo
E* has added Food, HGTV and Cinemax HD this year alone, along with 9 RSN's. 6 to 8 more national hd channels to be added when available this year.

Man, some of these D* guys that are so easily sold by the clear propganda of those nonsense D* TV ads should try out life in North Korea or somewhere. They seem to believe everything they hear.... and then defend it as being gospel with their last dying breath ;0 Castro... is that you?!?! What are you doing on SatGuys!!! I love your cigars!!! Keep up the good work!

-B

Last edited:
Gee, how many new HD channels has E presented reciently ?
In the last year, E* has added several HD national channels:
  • Food HD
  • A&E HD
  • HGTV HD
  • Universal HD
  • National Geographic Channel HD
  • Cinemax HD
  • Starz HD
  • Family Room HD*
  • Gameplay HD*
  • Treasure HD*
  • World Cinema HD*
  • Worldsport HD*

* VOOM channels.
and how soon till they buy another sat to throw some HD channels up there,instead of building thier own...
Does it really matter how they acquire the bandwidth? Do you own all of your receivers?
Somehow in the last three years they've gone from eight channels to 32. In that same time period, DirecTV has gone from six to nine.

What was your point?

If you subtract the VOOM content, E* would have 17 channels. That's one short of double the D* offering.

Dismissing the VOOM channels is getting a little tiresome and it clearly doesn't make up for the disparity.

Uh huh, like D* planned Spaceway to deliver 1500 HD locals, and not broadband internet via satellite.
Each Spaceway satellite apparently is capable of serving up only 250 HD channels to spotbeams.

Hughes planned the Spaceway fleet and DIRECTV took them over when Hughes decided that it wasn't in their best interests to move forward with the constellation.

Hmm...
HGTV HD
FOOD HD
Universal HD
Cinemax HD
National Geographic HD
A&E HD
ESPN2 HD
Starz HD
TNT HD

Not too bad. :)

Jimbo

HGHD, FOOD, STARZ, MAX, A&E, NFLHD, HDPPV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)