Moffett Mocks DirecTV's HDTV Claims

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why does no one else have them then? Oh thats right cause they stink !!
No, just half of them. My personal favorites are Equator, FilmFest, Monsters, Gallery and WorldSport. I'll watch any of those over A&E-HD.

Some people (not me) say football stinks, and they don't count any Sunday Ticket or RSN HD channels. That's the beauty of this discussion. You can make your own criteria for what is a national HD channel, and nobody can talk you out of it.

First of all, as we even see today with the HBO announcement - WE don't know yet what the 12/31/07 result will be. To say TODAY what was or was NOT a bad thing is premature IMO. I am of the belief that DirecTV did not make that number up - or pull it out of a hat - but rather said it as a result of conversation and negotiation with content providers.

I still think they will be very close + or - to the 100 number.

I hope they make or exceed these numbers. This is really going to light a fire under all the other providers butts. Then we will really be in the HD generation and all of my investments will really be worth it.

Why does no one else have them then? Oh thats right cause they stink !! I guess thats a good reason for VOOM going belly up!

Not even the company that owns them has found room for even 1 VOOM channel on its system.

But seriously, I think the main reason is the lack of bandwidth and the fact that so many 'mainstream' HD channels are about to launch. I can't see any company committing so much bandwidth to VOOM - not now, not when they are going to have to figure out how to get as many of the other new HD offerings on to their systems in the next 6 months or so.

Once the bandwidth issues are addressed, then I think you will see some if not all of the VOOM offering on more systems.

Why does no one else have them then? Oh thats right cause they stink !! I guess thats a good reason for VOOM going belly up!

Have you even watched Voom for any length of time?

No, just half of them. My personal favorites are Equator, FilmFest, Monsters, Gallery and WorldSport. I'll watch any of those over A&E-HD.

I would have to add Rave to that list. But you have it 100% correct that only half of them are crap.

Have you even watched Voom for any length of time?

I don't voice my opinion on something I know nothing about. I know how to stay quiet if I'm in the dark. And don't take this conversation personal,because its not! I just believe from my personal info that no provider is much better then any other.

I don't voice my opinion on something I know nothing about. I know how to stay quiet if I'm in the dark. And don't take this conversation personal,because its not!

Not taking anything personal. Everything is just an opinion on this subject. I was just curious because there are many that bash Voom without ever watching any of it.

I just believe from my personal info that no provider is much better then any other.

I would agree with this to a point. I do think that D* is better than any other provider if you need an out of market sports team.

I hope they make or exceed these numbers. This is really going to light a fire under all the other providers butts. Then we will really be in the HD generation and all of my investments will really be worth it.

I too hope they pass the 100 number, but to me I'll take 60 if they are all good high resolution broadcasts.

Thats the next thing after D* gets them up and running, they will come out of the woodwork again, complaining about HD LITE and that nothing on is a quality channel.

Someone mentioned that they would rather watch Voom over A&E HD, doesn't DISH have A&E HD ?

D* subs can never win this, because there will always be something that the DISH subs have to complain about with D*... IF they conntinue to complain about what D* has, why don't they join if they want it so bad ???

Jimbo

Last edited:
I think if D* was smart (and if they had a way to do it) they would slip out a few HD channels REAL SOON (like tomorrow) so people could see some action from them, and if nothing else it might make people see that they are serious.

Plus it would put smile on the faces of those who want to rub it in to the competition! :D

I think if D* was smart (and if they had a way to do it) they would slip out a few HD channels REAL SOON (like tomorrow) so people could see some action from them, and if nothing else it might make people see that they are serious.

Plus it would put smile on the faces of those who want to rub it in to the competition! :D

While it would be nice they can't. No bandwidth. Thus why the 2 new sats. ;)

I love these type of threads. It seems you can always tell how much a certain plan will put one business ahead of another by how loud and persistently the naysayers are braying.

Lack of HD content, lack of bandwith, lack of picture quality, lack of national channels, and such have now turned to arguments over the difference between carrying 150 HD channels and having the capacity to carry that many channels.

E*, cable, OTA, UVerse, and FIOS all have their place and their markets. The problem is that one is not the end all to be all for everyone. That's one of the best things about our marketplace. You don't like what you're getting, go to their competitor.

I've had E*, cable, and OTA. UVerse & FIOS are not available in my area, and there are no plans to add them (we can't even get DSL internet). For me, D* has been a better provider in all aspects than the others. YMMV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)