Monitor Died

sonic2000

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 26, 2004
North Carolina
Last night at about midnight my 10 year old 19" DELL monitor up and died. Was watching TV and heard a pop and a few seconds later saw smoke coming from the top. Need less to say things got moving rather quickly, no fire just got hot before I unplugged it.
Today took the wife to Circuit City, and let her pick out a new monitor for me. She has the eye for color. She choose the Samsung SM 226BW from the 40 or so they had on the shelf. Brought it home hooked it up and installed the driver. Man what a difference. Have it set on 1680 x 1050 and a refresh rate of 60 hertz. Have yet to put through the paces just browsing online for now. Will post later to over all performance.
Currently its connected to a DELL Dimension 4100 with 512mgs of ram and a GeForce 2MX with 64mgs on the board. I know its old but dependable. I'm currently in the process of building a new machine (my first build) with a 6600 dual core and am going slowwwww so I get it right the first time.

Sonic,

I recently switched from a 17" flat CRT to the 20" Samsung, the 206BW. I had my sights set on 22" that you chose but I found it to be a little large and overpowering on my desk. Down the road I hope to hook up a Starchoice receiver to take advantage of the DVI connnection. Enjoy your monitor.

Keith

My 17" Gateway CRT monitor died last year after 8 years, I wasn't going to buy an LCD because I heard there not as good as CRT with games.

Went to BB and there CRTs were pitiful, so I got an LG 19" widescreen,
I have it set at 1440 x 900, now I'm saving for a new video card that supports DVI so I can utilize everything from this monitor.

LG - 19" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - L196WTQ-BF

Gotta say that I love my 17inch KDS crt monitor that I bought three years ago. The picture is clean and sharp, I havent seen an LCD that can touch its quality yet so Im sticking with it until it dies, wish I had gotten it in the 21 inch size though.

Last night at about midnight my 10 year old 19" DELL monitor up and died. Was watching TV and heard a pop and a few seconds later saw smoke coming from the top. Need less to say things got moving rather quickly, no fire just got hot before I unplugged it.
Today took the wife to Circuit City, and let her pick out a new monitor for me. She has the eye for color. She choose the Samsung SM 226BW from the 40 or so they had on the shelf. Brought it home hooked it up and installed the driver. Man what a difference. Have it set on 1680 x 1050 and a refresh rate of 60 hertz. Have yet to put through the paces just browsing online for now. Will post later to over all performance.
Currently its connected to a DELL Dimension 4100 with 512mgs of ram and a GeForce 2MX with 64mgs on the board. I know its old but dependable. I'm currently in the process of building a new machine (my first build) with a 6600 dual core and am going slowwwww so I get it right the first time.

Ok I got the new machine up and running, so far so good. Here's what I built (the first I have ever done).
Case: Antec 900
PS: Antec Truepower 650 watt
Mobo: MSI Platinum P6N SLI
Video Card: EVGA 8600 GTS
CPU: Intel 6600 2.4G-Conroe
Memory: 2 Gigs-Patriot
HD: Seagate 320 Gig Sata
DVD/CD Drives: 2-Lite-On LH 18A Burners
And of course my monitor: Samsung SM 226BW

I have a feeling this will be the last one I will build myself. It definitely tried my patience and my wife's (It did get cold around the house a few times).
Havent put any games on it yet to try it out, but just using standard apps (MS Office, etc) the performance is outstanding. My coworker (Mr. Computer Geek) came over yesterday and tweaked it for better performance.
Will keep an update on performance and any issues I run into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)