More bad press for Direct TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep, very bad press indeed in this country these days to try to hold people accountable for contracts they agree/sign into (regardless of what company). The press wields a mighty poison pen, especially for those that rule by emotion versus their head. Press blackmail is KING! The press will be this country's demise. I should have got the press involved when my parents died to absolve all their debt for which they had no death insurance coverages.

Last edited:
Yep. When I got ticketed for speeding I knew the reason.
Same here. It called accountability!!

I'm on Directv side. I know about the 24 commitment. I tell people who are interested in getting or up grading Directv or Dish Network, about the 24 month commitment. People are too lazy to read the contract. In the contract it states they have an ETF if they cancel their service before the 24 month commitment is over. Then they get mad when they cancel their service when they haven't met the 24 month requirement.

It's getting to the point where Directv and Dish will have to send out paper work with all the ETF and TOS info, agreeing or disagreeing to the commitment, signed by the customer and returned before a tech is sent out. And when the tech shows up, the tech will have to explain to the customer about the ETF and TOS before any work is done.

Sent from my HTC EVO using SatelliteGuys

bad press? Person signs contract....Family wants person taken out of contract and with good reason...End result is Contract is canceled without fee...Sounds good, way to go D* thanks for taking a look at this persons situation and making it right!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I side with directv on this one. A connect is a contract. Honor what you sign.

Wow Scott... I hope someone doesn't pass after they sign a contract... With ur reasoning they would still be liable for the ETF! Sometimes to get results... The press has to he involved !

J_slimz said:
Wow Scott... I hope someone doesn't pass after they sign a contract... With ur reasoning they would still be liable for the ETF! Sometimes to get results... The press has to he involved !

Death is one thing... But this wasn't death.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

I don't think it was that bad after all. How many things of this nature really get settled to satisfaction the first time around? In the end it worked out.

Time for my two cents which as sorely been missing around here while I recover.

1. I understand both sides, problem with DTV on this matter is our reference system that I will call FIDO (DTV insiders will get the joke) is kinda not 100 percent clear on the issue and for some agents in the cya environment will error on the side of caution vs sticking out there neck. As there is no page in the policy book that says if customer going to nursing home waive contract but it implied on other pages. It is hard to explain the inner workings of dtv sometimes.

me personally Id rather see this "bad news" where a customer is whining about a contract they signed and now want out then what the other side sees

"Dish Network drops ___________________ due to a dispute"

Agree with you I am shocked that other feel for Direct.If he signed contract and has no other person at his home using Direct and was permanently removed form that home and cant move direct cant be at nursing home.Then of course he should be let out of his contract.

I don't think DirecTV should waive the contract. It takes them over a year just to get back the costs of the system, marketing, sales... They did you a favor by spreading out the cost of equipment and install + your actual subscription.

As a retailer I would have to eat it! $100 for the sale $100+ for install, I'm left w $100 profit but loose $300 if they cancel within 12 months!?!!'

Sorry you got sick, but you promised to pay that bill and here is your signature... I would be banging on the front door!

I used to work at a DSL company where the customer got an initial rate for a year in which we hardly made a dime. It had a $250 ETF. Customer Service reps were empowered with making exceptions, and they often did, especially under the circumstances given. But if the customer wanted out for no real good reason we stuck to the contract terms. And his getting nasty or making threats didn't improve his bargaining position. Of course the flip side: if we waived the ETF they couldn't ever come back. Many would jump yearly from one provider to another to keep on the teaser rates.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Or why don't they buy thier own recievers from radioshack or any other business then they don't have to worry about contracts. I look at it this way I wish I would of bought my recievers from radioshack or anyother business then leasing them from directv.

Dan Rose

If you pick up receivers from a "retail store" you are still subject to the contracts.

Or why don't they buy thier own recievers from radioshack or any other business then they don't have to worry about contracts. I look at it this way I wish I would of bought my recievers from radioshack or anyother business then leasing them from directv.

Dan Rose

Scott Greczkowski said:
Death is one thing... But this wasn't death.

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

But u said.. A connect is a contract... Just going by ur words. I believe there are mitigating circumstances that should allow u out of a contract without ETF.

Dan Rose

You can't buy D* recvrs at Radio Shack, or any other retail store for that matter.
Best Buy use to sell them and before that Circuit City, but that went away awhile ago.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)