Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dish has had DRM on some of its PPV movies for awhile but it looks like things will be expanding and will be including HDCP...

Dish posted the following to it's retailer website earlier...

Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a method of controlling access to copyrighted material, such as movies. Industry standards require DISH Network to apply specific copy protection to Pay-Per-View, Video On Demand, and DishONLINE movies. DRM affects all Pay TV subscribers industry wide.

Due to the DRM requirements that movie studios have mandated, a small number of customers with older HDTVs will not be able to watch movies with their current set up. This type of copy protection is called HDCP (High Bandwidth Copy Protection).

The customers that are affected have an older HDTV, an HD receiver, and a digital cable connecting their HDTV to their HD receiver (HDMI or DVI cable) and will not be able to order or watch the movie.

If customers get pop up 890 or 894 and want to be able to watch Pay-Per-View, Video On Demand or DishONLINE movies, advise the customer that they will need to switch out their HDMI or DVI cable with a component cable (red, green, blue connectors).

For additional information of DRM and HDCP, you can refer your customers to: DISH Network

Well they will lose money because the people that are affected are not going to go out and buy new cables just to watch ppv. They will get that error message and give up.

Could have been worse.

Frankly I'm shocked and amazed that HDCP has not already been imposed on all our HDMI connections already, 100% of the time for 100% of the channels.

I read the press release or whatever twice and it sounds like you need to swap your HDMI for a component cable, but component does not carry DRM.

Did they mis-word it or did I mis-read it?

It sounds like some older HDMI/DVI displays are not DRM compliant and they must use component to view the programming (probably at 480p).

Well, I don't do PPV or that other nonsense, but my Sony D50Q should be OK with the HD Fury accepting HDMI from my 211 and feeding component to the projector.

If customers get pop up 890 or 894 and want to be able to watch Pay-Per-View, Video On Demand or DishONLINE movies, advise the customer that they will need to switch out their HDMI or DVI cable with a component cable (red, green, blue connectors).

:eek:
That is just ANOTHER step backwards.

Mr. Customer, you need to take out the latest technology from your home theater in order to be compatible.....:mad:

I see a lawsuit in the making!

I read the press release or whatever twice and it sounds like you need to swap your HDMI for a component cable, but component does not carry DRM.

Did they mis-word it or did I mis-read it?

It sounds like some older HDMI/DVI displays are not DRM compliant and they must use component to view the programming (probably at 480p).
That's the part that wasn't mentioned. Most HDCP DRM stuff stipulates that an analog connection must be limited to standard def. So if HDCP gets in your way, you won't be able to watch HD programs in HD.

E.F.F.

Do you think that E.F.F. would be willing to tke this on. It means any early adopter will lose their HD because they can only use component. I used to be this way ans still have a component only HDTV as well as my new panny plasma. This means that if I want to watch it on the older set in bedroom I will only get an SD or ED picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts