More DRM Coming?

It just a matter of time...

The Hauppauge uses component input though so unless E* clamps the component resolution, they will still record as always since there is no HDCP on component.

It's just a matter of time until the movie studios force the content providers to do this (downres component). Bluray will do this if the proper flag is set on the disc. The current crop upscaling DVD players won't output HD over compoenent even though it is just upscaled SD.

Just a heads up that this could also effect a sling box plugged into the component port.

I wonder if the 622/722 can put full resolution out the HDMI port while downgrading the component. Probably not gonna happen. The component will likely be shut off if the HDMI is active with HDCP protected content.

Probably will be able to move the sling back to the s-video.

I'm not a PPV or On-Demand user either, but I suppose sooner or later they'll hit the premiums.

There goes that extra buck profit E* charges for HD PPV. If you can't watch it in HD, what would be the point?:confused:

Especially since you can get the HD versions through a PS3 or XBox360 instead. I thought the goal of a company was to be more convenient than your competition.

What is considered older hdtv sets? I bought mine in Jan 2006, so I assume its a 2005 model. I am using the hdmi but have never used PPV up to now. I guess this will not affect me right now but I already using all my component inputs. I rather not get a switch,but may need to if I ever want to use any of the affected features.

Related to above...................

I dont have a bluray but do they require HDMI/HDCP for HD?

I have never ordered PPV nor do I have a premium but my HDTV only has one HDMI port. Currently that is how my 622 is connected. So if I want both the bluray and the 622 (for PPV or whatever) does that mean at the minimum I will need a switcher? If so that would suck and just adds to the cost I was hoping to save for later this year.

Bull

The content owners will probably require Dish to auto switch to 480p if no HDCP is present on the HDMI. They will probably have to turn off the component outputs in the protected mode.

Of course there probably is a large set of people using the HD receivers on HD sets with Svideo or composit...

Most people probably will never know if anything changes unless they put a pop up saying that it was downresed. Most have trouble seeing the difference between 480p and 1080i unless they are looking for it.

That's a load of BS.

Related to above...................

I dont have a bluray but do they require HDMI/HDCP for HD?

I have never ordered PPV nor do I have a premium but my HDTV only has one HDMI port. Currently that is how my 622 is connected. So if I want both the bluray and the 622 (for PPV or whatever) does that mean at the minimum I will need a switcher? If so that would suck and just adds to the cost I was hoping to save for later this year.

An HDMI switcher is rather cheap.

Best thing, ignoring cost: Get an AV receiver with multiple HDMI inputs, such as the Onkyo 607 (there are cheaper, and more expensive, options out there). Then you connect your satellite receiver, Blu-ray and any other devices (such as xbox 360) to the AV receiver, and the receiver to the TV. Plus, you get surround sound (the opportunity to spring for more speakers).

I have yet to have anyone give me any explanation of why carriers didn't band together against these consumer-unfriendly content providers and refuse to carry their programming under such ridiculous terms.

That's a load of BS.

In what way? Your comment is not clear as to what you are complaining about.

Dish has said they have the ability to force HDCP when they want to and turn off the component when they want to.

Dish has also sent out memos to installers because they are hooking the HD receivers up through S-Video or composit.

As far as how many would notice they were downresed to 480p unless they were told, is speculation on my part. These people are probably the ones that do not notice they are getting HD through Svideo. I still stand by the premise that 1080i downconverted to 480p would fool a lot of people considering it would still look 10x better than the SD channels. Dish does not do real HD anyways, it is downresed to 1440x1080i, so you are really looking at 50% less horizontal resolution (720 vs 1440) and some vertical resolution (i vs p is not 2x). This combined with how much of the 1920x1080i original picture has been lost through the recompression via MPEG-4, downresing and Sat Mux bit starving. Yes a lot of people would notice, especially people with 50"+ screens, but a lot would not notice either.

I still stand by the premise that 1080i downconverted to 480p would fool a lot of people considering it would still look 10x better than the SD channels.
I'm with you. This is not BS, though it is rather sad. Most people equate HD with widescreen, and anything DVD-quality or above will look pretty decent, even though it's not true HD.

Pop quiz for all: is a standard DVD video 480p or 480i ? What's actually recorded on the disk?

The eye/brain is better equipped to see vertical granularity than horizonal granularity, so vertical resolution is more important than horizonal, that is why most people cannot tell the difference between 1080X1920 and 1080X1440, but can see a difference between 1080i and 480p.

Pop quiz for all: is a standard DVD video 480p or 480i ? What's actually recorded on the disk?
480i is what is actually recorded on a DVD disk, but it is done so in such a way that it can be interlaced into a true 480p signal. What do I win? :)

Last edited:
480i is what is actually recorded on a DVD disk, but it is done so in such a way that it can be deinterlaced into a true 480p signal. What do I win? :)
I thought DVDs were a progressive recording, and they need to be interlaced for SD TVs. A little web research shows that you do indeed win, as everything I can find indicates DVD Video is interlaced (progressive source material flags the decoder for different handling for movies).

Also, the Hauppauge device claims to be the first of its kind. I disagree. Blackmagic Design has had a PCIe card for a couple of years that would record full 1080 HD in real time. It was $350 and worked on both Mac and Windows. Now, the current generation Intensity Pro is down to $199.

Finally, hasn't Dish been enforcing DRM on the Movie channels like HBO & Shotime?

I guess I finally need to replace my Mitsubishi RPTV once and for all... :D

Last edited:
Yes but

Also, the Hauppauge device claims to be the first of its kind. I disagree. Blackmagic Design has had a PCIe card for a couple of years that would record full 1080 HD in real time. It was $350 and worked on both Mac and Windows. Now, the current generation Intensity Pro is down to $199.
I guess I finally need to replace my Mitsubishi RPTV once and for all... :D

Black magic may have been 1st but If there is DRM it won't work. It has copy protection built in.
For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP.
It's made for editors using Apple Final Cut Pro™ internal effects on Mac OS X™.
Adobe® Premiere Pro® internal effects in DV, MJPEG and uncompressed edit formats.
It's built to dump primarily vid from camera/camcorder into the editor.
And yes I think it's time for you get rid of the Mits. IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts