More HD? When?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NSaco

Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
I was one of those loyal Voom customers who finally had it with the poor customer service. I must admit it though, I was definitely influenced in switching to D* from their TV commercials. Where they promise an upgrade in HD content. With Voom, I was impressed with their HD picture quality but less impressed with the content of programming, no ppv, and no sports packages. So now I finally switched over to D* and I'm satisfied with their content. But now I have four HD tv's and I'm not using them to their full potential. When is D* gonna provide more HD as promised.

this summer, be patient.

directv doesnt jump the gun and rush in, when they turn the new birds on, you wont even remember voom

they have big things planned

dragon

That's what I like to hear!

Sorry if I sound paranoid, but I've been left scarred by Voom.

i feel your pain, i install and service it, its only about 5% of our work, happily

you have directv now, right?? and
gee, turn it on and it works, simply amazing isnt it????!!!

directv is the biggest by far for a reason, reliability..

dragon

Mr. Swann forgets about DirecTV 8 that is going up in May. There are three Ka sats going up in the next three months. Spaceway 1 (around April 26th), DirecTV 8 (May) and Spaceway 2 (June). The point is that there is going to be a huge amount of bandwidth avaliable in the coming months. I think that Spaceway 1 & 2 will only be used for LiL HD and that the Ka part of DirecTV 8 will be used for new national HD channels and NFL-ST HD games.

dragon002 said:
oh i see,

when swann flames voom, he is an idiot!

when swann flames directv, he is a great industry journalist , with impeccable views!

sorry , you cant have it both ways!!

dragon

So Swann can not be right on some issues and wrong on others? Wow I know of no other person on this planet that conforms to your logic.

vurbano said:
So Swann can not be right on some issues and wrong on others? Wow I know of no other person on this planet that conforms to your logic.

no you are wrong about voom and im right about directv

or

you are right about voom and im wrong about directv

we'll see

dragon

I would love to go with DirecTV for sports and possibly the Sports packages that might be available in HD in the future. My main conern is that I've heard reports on this very website that states that DirecTV compresses their HD Channels, whereas Voom and Comcast do not. If DirecTV want to deliever true HD, then once these new satellites are up and running, they need to deliver those HD channels to their highest resolution, whether its in 720p or 1080i.

Firstly don't take Swanny for its value because he has been biased with any providers HDTV plans at least IMO. Now its true that nothing new on the national HD side will come until later this year like the last quarter of the year. Now I can say that when the fourth quarter comes we will have a very good selection of national HDTV channels but again for now it will be dry because HD LIL will be the main focus now for D* because much has to be done such as installing new dishes and replacing hardware. Also contracts have to be done and testing has to take place. That is a pretty massive process considering what most other events require.

The last thing that I've heard and again I could be wrong because things do change or my contact was wrong but they are planning on adding all the premium channels HD feeds (East feed for sure but I don't know about the West but it has been hinted that the west feeds will be carried) and they will expand the SD Premium channel lineup with the bandwidth they would free by going MPEG4. Now SD premium channels could take longer to add because they would need time to get HD Pak subscribers upgraded to MPEG4 or I have even heard that NFL ST customers would be upgraded first for MPEG4 so they could free up bandwidth on 101 KU bird by moving all ST games onto the Spaceway Sats. Now whatever they plan most likely will be one of those things but we all will have to wait and see what they do.

But rest assured that many customers have complained about the Cinemax package and they will be increasing that packages channels. Also HBO Comedy and Starz Family and Cinema have been big requests as well.

dragon002 said:
i feel your pain, i install and service it, its only about 5% of our work, happily

you have directv now, right?? and
gee, turn it on and it works, simply amazing isnt it????!!!

directv is the biggest by far for a reason, reliability..

dragon
I hve both D* and Voom (D* for sports only and hd pckage. I am grandfathered in from 1995). Anyway, VOOM is just as reliable as D*. As fo HD, I like HDnet that i not on VOOM and I have NFL Ticket, Regional Sports + the Outdoor Chanel.

Do you think they will air anything but local HD content this year? I heard they were talking with Inhd. That would make their package a strong contented, especially if they add STARZ-HD, Cinemax-HD, TMC-HD, TNT-HD. Then if they add ESPN2-HD, OLN-HD and the Outdoor Channel-HD that woud make an impressive HD lineup. Add regional RSN's in HD and I just might switch from VOOM because I need my Regional sports network and have been loyal and patient, but they just are not moving on it. So I need Direct TV for HDnet and the other things, Cable for Regional Sports and Inhd1 & 2.

Carter said:
Kfried001, DirecTV carries all of the O&O FSN-HD channels. I just watched a Suns game in HD last week.
Fox Sports Arizona is in Hi-Def. I am looking into it then.

dragon002 said:
no you are wrong about voom and im right about directv

or

you are right about voom and im wrong about directv

we'll see

dragon

I see that you dont want to address the question.

LonghornXP said:
I have even heard that NFL ST customers would be upgraded first for MPEG4 so they could free up bandwidth on 101 KU bird by moving all ST games onto the Spaceway Sats.

I wonder how early you will have to order ST to guarantee getting the games in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.