More newbie questions??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lgb0250

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Setup for installation on 4/19. Coming back after having been with E* for the last 18 months.

Called the installation company today and asked them what model of HD DVR they were going to install. They said it wasn't up to them so they transferred me to D*. Spoke with a CSR who in turn spoke with his supervisor and he came back and told me I would be getting the HR20-700.

This is perfect for me. I really wanted the OTA without having to shell out another $60 to get one for the HR21.

My immediate question is whether this comes standard with an RF remote or should I buy one off of Ebay? Thanks for the help.

If you get a HR20 that's good but from just about everything I've seen is that the CSR's really can't guarentee that's what you'll get, it's more of what's in the truck. You might want to get D* to commit to if you get a HR21 that they will supply a free AM21 when they're available, and get that in writing.

That's the complete opposite of most experiences that I've read here. Most of the time, people ask D* and they say that they can't guarantee, because they don't know which receiver(s) the installer will have in stock.

Call the installation group directly, they can tell you what they have in stock, if they have both, you can ask them to bring a particular one, at least you'll know what to expect.
D* doesn't guarantee anything as far as models go

Jimbo

Just to clarify. I did call the installation group directly. I think their name is Mastec. They are the ones that transferred me to D*. From everything I had read on this group prior to this I fully expected the installation people to tell me what they were putting in, not D*. Oh well, I have a habit of bringing out the "first" in a lot of people and companies. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to the new setup.

A HR20 should come with a RF remote but it would probably be a refurbished unit, so there are no guarantees.

no guarantees

I hope you saying no guarantees about which on he gets and not on the possible Refurbished unit.
Refurbished or not it has a warranty period and is covered like all others if the sub has the Protection Plan.

I have been using a refurbed HR20-700 for over a year now with no problems, so don't let a refurbed unit steer you the wrong way.

Jimbo

Well as usual this board knows more that D* Got a call from the installer this morning saying there was no way they could get me installed between 8-12pm as promised. D* had overbooked them. Said they could do it this afternoon. This after having this appointment scheduled for three weeks. I said no problem but while I had them on the phone I double checked that they were bringing the HR20-700's. He said they didn't have any HR20's only HR21's. Duh!!! Called D* and gave them the date, time and name of individual I called who confirmed the HR20-700's would be installed. The only answer I kept getting from the CSR was that they don't guarantee model installed and there was nothing that could be done. She stated that if I wanted the HR20 I should have bought them from Best Buy. I told her that if they had suggested that in the first place I probably would have done it. I told her that after one missed appt and now this one being delayed and on top of that not having the correct equipment I thought I would just stick with E* Way too much trouble getting this new account set up.

Well as usual this board knows more that D* Got a call from the installer this morning saying there was no way they could get me installed between 8-12pm as promised. D* had overbooked them. Said they could do it this afternoon. This after having this appointment scheduled for three weeks. I said no problem but while I had them on the phone I double checked that they were bringing the HR20-700's. He said they didn't have any HR20's only HR21's. Duh!!! Called D* and gave them the date, time and name of individual I called who confirmed the HR20-700's would be installed. The only answer I kept getting from the CSR was that they don't guarantee model installed and there was nothing that could be done. She stated that if I wanted the HR20 I should have bought them from Best Buy. I told her that if they had suggested that in the first place I probably would have done it. I told her that after one missed appt and now this one being delayed and on top of that not having the correct equipment I thought I would just stick with E* Way too much trouble getting this new account set up.

Well a missed appointment made you $100

Tell the CSR you talked to that you would gladly buy from BB IF they compensated you the difference and still did the free install upgrade.

Jimbo

I think your right Bob, I'm pretty sure they went to the H21 series now, I know I have seen them locally.

lgb0250,
I have still seen the HR20's in the local Costco's you might want to try them.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts