More on Dish HDCP

Check the settings on your TV if you have your 622/722 connected with DVI or HDMI and the test says you are not compliant. I checked my two HDTVs that are connected with both component and DVI. One set said it was compliant the other said not compliant. I discovered that my Panasonic tuner switches automatically to digital and the Sony doesn't. The Sony was set to analog mode. I switched it to digital and re-ran the test and then the 722 said it was HDCP compliant. So do some checking of settings.

Charles, What software version do you have? Press Menu twice.

I thought they had not implemented this test in the current software yet but you may have L4.48 already in your receivers.

Charles, What software version do you have? Press Menu twice.

I thought they had not implemented this test in the current software yet but you may have L4.48 already in your receivers.

Two of the 722s are L448RJKD-N and the third 722 says L447RJKD-N. The L447 is connected to the Sony HDTV and it has the HDCP in the menu just like the other 722s.

Man I'm pissed about this. My Tv only has one DVI input, which I have my Sony upconverting DVD changer hooked up to. My 622 is hooked up through component, so is my HD A2. There's is nothing wrong with the tv, probably several years of use left, don't want to replace it. Is there anyone we can contact to complain?

OK, here is a question. The 622/722 have both HDMI and component video outputs. If the HDMI is hooked up to a HDCP compliant receiver, it sets the flag to "Yes". Does this mean now that BOTH the HDMI and component outputs are set to 1080i?

When does the receiver check for HDCP? At install or boot? Would it be possible to hook it to an HDMI receiver, then disconnect it and only use component?

This might solve the problem for some who have only a single HDMI input. This move begs the question - what good are the component outputs once HDCP is turned on?

And what about all the SD stuff that the 622/722 DVRs now up-res and pass out at 1080i? Even though you have the DVRs set to output 1080i, does that mean the receiver will keep switching its output format based on the flag set by each content provider? Many of you folks have been asking for native pass-through; well, bend over, here it comes!

I just called the FCC to ask them to look into this situation. You may also want to call and express your concern about HDCP being implemented without sufficient time (years) for existing HDTV consumers to transition to newer model equipment. FCC customer service: 1-888-225-5322

Let me add one more thing here...

I don't think Dish wants to do this... I think Dish Network is being FORCED by program providers to do this...

I also think the same time this is turned on for Dish Network customers, it will also be enabled at the same time for DirecTV customers.

I think they are getting ready for the future. :(

I really hope the EFF steps in on this soon.

I just can't believe that the broadcasters are being so short sighted on this, even the music industry has opened up to DRM free, this is the DRM fiasco all over again except for broadcast industry. People are going to get very upset after having paid out a lot of money on a TV a few years back only to not get the most out of it cost the industry is getting greedy. Correct me if I am wrong but the majority of folks do not trade their TV every 2-3 years they expect them to last . HDCP seems like it is the proverbial stable door being closed after the HD horse has long since bolted.

I am fortunate enough to have HDCP equipment however I am extremely upset on behalf of those who do not.

Last edited:
How does one know if their TV is HDCP compliant ? I bought my 61" Samsung about 3 years ago. It does have 1 HDMI input.

HDCP is part of the HDMI spec. The only question is for DVI. Some have it, some do not. Most of the non-compliant sets will also be "HDTV Monitors" without a tuner.

HDCP is part of the HDMI spec. The only question is for DVI. Some have it, some do not. Most of the non-compliant sets will also be "HDTV Monitors" without a tuner.

My Mitsubishi rear projection monitor has 1 DVI input, and I checked it's HDCP compliant. I wonder if those who have non-compliant HDTVs can sue Dish for breach of contract, for shutting off their HD?

HDCP Will Only Be Set For Certain Pay For View!

I just finished a long discussion with Echostar/Dish executive office folks. As Scott indicated, Dish is trying to avoid all use of HDCP. However, what it looks like for now is that sometime next year certain Pay for View providers will require the HDCP protection of their content. Dish knows of no impact on regular subscription HD services.

I will stay in contact with Dish on this. Please post any questions you would like me to follow-up on.

Bob

I just finished a long discussion with Echostar/Dish executive office folks. As Scott indicated, Dish is trying to avoid all use of HDCP. However, what it looks like for now is that sometime next year certain Pay for View providers will require the HDCP protection of their content. Dish knows of no impact on regular subscription HD services.

I will stay in contact with Dish on this. Please post any questions you would like me to follow-up on.

Bob

Good. That's a bit of a relief.

My Mitsubishi rear projection monitor has 1 DVI input, and I checked it's HDCP compliant. I wonder if those who have non-compliant HDTVs can sue Dish for breach of contract, for shutting off their HD?

Looks like you're okay then. Most of the non-HDCP sets are older models too. My Sony was one of the first HDMI models and I purchased it in 2003. I'm thinking that HDCP was first in use on the consumer level in about 2001-2002.

Bob

As I said before, they will set the "No Copy" bit and you won't be able to record these events either. Your DVR will likely have an error message.

Apparently the cablecos are playing around with this as well. Before I jumped ship, I had all sorts of problems with my TWC HDDVR related to HDCP.

Ted

Apparently the cablecos are playing around with this as well. Before I jumped ship, I had all sorts of problems with my TWC HDDVR related to HDCP.
I don't think it's related. When I had TWC and the SA 8000HD and 8300HD boxes, HDMI would work one s/w release, be broken the next, fixed... There was a constant pissing match between Pioneer/Aptiv, who wrote the software for the set-top and TV manufacturers. The software people would say the hardware isn't 100% compliant while the hardware people would say the software was wrong....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts