Most Hated Teams in History

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Two Detroit franchises made Sports Illustrated's list of the top 25 most-hated teams in sports history.

The 1988-89 "Bad Boys" Pistons came in at No. 2, just behind the "winner," the 1986 University of Miami football team. Also, the 1909 Tigers -- led by legendary meanie Ty Cobb -- checked in at No. 24.

'Bad Boys' Pistons, 1909 Tigers make SI's list of most-hated sports teams | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Loved those Bad Boy Teams!

Amazing .....

No yankees, No Cowboys, those are the two that I would think would be right up there.
Notre Dame ?

Cowboys were 3rd and yanks were 5th, but they chose particular years, I was thinking over all ...

Here are the complete rankings:

1. 1986 University of Miami football

2. 1988-89 Detroit Pistons

3. 1992 Dallas Cowboys

4. 1974-75 Philadelphia Flyers

5. 1978 New York Yankees

6. 2007 New England Patriots

7. 1993-94 New York Knicks

8. 1976 Oakland Raiders

9. 1989-90 UNLV basketball

10. 1998-99 Manchester United

11. 1990 University of Miami football

12. 1991-92 Duke basketball

13. 1986 New York Mets

14. 1972 Soviet Union Olympic basketball

15. 2005 Southern California football

16. 1974 Oakland Athletics

17. 1993 Notre Dame football

18. 1976 East Germany women's swimming

19. 1919 Chicago White Sox

20. 2004 United States Olympic basketball

21. 2000-01 Portland Trail Blazers

22. 2001-02 Toronto Maple Leafs

23. 1983-84 Georgetown basketball

24. 1909 Detroit Tigers

25. 2010-11 Miami Heat

Miami Heat....Really come on, dont know if there "Hated"

What would be a hated list without Duke!

What would be a hated list without Duke!

JEALOUSY!! LMAO!! A team that yet to play a Single minute of the season...and the make the ALL TIME list??!!

Jealousy and envy....plain and simple!

Those two words ALSO apply to the fans that voted for these team. What is the common denominator....MOST to all of the teams, were either champions or almost champions.

I LOVE that The U had TWO teams in the list!:cool:

5. 1978 New York Yankees

There's my most hated team of all time.... Why?

Because they kicked the CRAP out of my team the last month of the 1978 season, and oh yeah, Bucky Bleepin' Dent!!! :rant::D

All kidding and bias aside, that Yankees team was in one word.............. CLUTCH!!!

Interesting that no Celtics or Lakers teams (a combined 33 championships) are on that list............

JEALOUSY!! LMAO!! A team that yet to play a Single minute of the season...and the make the ALL TIME list??!!

Page hits, plain and simple.

Why do you think polls like this are created??They have to generate traffic to their sites on slow days and nothing generates discussion more than "all time" lists...

Page hits, plain and simple.

Why do you think polls like this are created??They have to generate traffic to their sites on slow days and nothing generates discussion more than "all time" lists...

For the polls yes....for the teams....

...I mean really, hating a team that has yet to play a single minute...?

Those two words ALSO apply to the fans that voted for these team. What is the common denominator....MOST to all of the teams, were either champions or almost champions.

I LOVE that The U had TWO teams in the list!:cool:
jealous of a team that hasn't won anything. yep:rolleyes:

Right now people are just hating on the way Lebron announced his decision...one of the lamest, most obnoxious hours of 'sports television' you will hopefully ever see. Everyone outside of south Florida wants one hour of their life back.

But don't worry, if Lebron keeps up his prima donna act the current Heat team will be climbing their way up the ladder. ;)

Sandra

Last edited:
Funny how regional this list is, with people jumping in to defend their team from hatred. Embrace the hate! Nobody hated the 2009-2010 New York Rangers, because they were soft, easy to play against, you never knew if they would play hard against you or not, their GM is an idiot and their coach is borderline psychotic. Yep, nobody hated them...except me!

Hopefully the signing of Derek Boogaard will give people a reason to hate us again.

Sandra

Last edited:
Where's "McFilthy and McNasty"? Too bad Johnny Most didn't get to give us his list. All 25 would be Celtics foes.

Here are the complete rankings:...
5. 1978 New York Yankees

Bucky Dent, Reggie's hip-check of the baseball, and Mike Torrez throwing a wet blanket on the post-game victory celebration when asked if he now might reconsider and come back next year.

6. 2007 New England Patriots

I guess a lot of people think that Belichick is a dickweed.

8. 1976 Oakland Raiders

I thought they'd finish higher.

13. 1986 New York Mets

I'm surprised by this selection. Did some disgruntled Red Sox fans stuff the ballot box?

14. 1972 Soviet Union Olympic basketball

Ranks this low only because it was two generations ago, and almost no one saw it telecast live. Maybe of the team of referees for that game were eligible for inclusion on this list, they would finish higher.

16. 1974 Oakland Athletics

I had to work myself into exhaustion for a few years in the 1970s, mostly on second and third shifts, so even though I'm a lifetime baseball fan, my knowledge of the 1970s Oakland dynasty is based largely on what I learned of it after the fact. I would see daily scores in that era, but not follow the team all that closely, so I am not aware of any animosities towards this team, unless fans didn't like their mustaches or the team owner.

18. 1976 East Germany women's swimming

Should have ranked higher. I once saw an interview of a girl from the US team that year who said she was in a locker room undressed when she heard some deep voices and panicked, looking for something to cover herself with, but then saw that the voices were coming from the German female swimmers.

19. 1919 Chicago White Sox

Should be higher

20. 2004 United States Olympic basketball...

23. 1983-84 Georgetown basketball

John Thompson wins the exacta. Throw in the year they beat Princeton by one point and he wins the trifecta.

Edit: Oops. I was confusing the 1994 olympic team with the 1988 one.

24. 1909 Detroit Tigers

According to legend, Cobb used to sharpen his spkies to make them more lethal when he slid into second

25. 2010-11 Miami Heat

I don't know. I don't remember people despising the Lakers in 1968-1969 when Wilt Chamberlain joined Elgin Baylow and Jerry West.

Look for John Calipari to make the list if and when his team ever wins anythng.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts