Most hittable pitchers you can ever recall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
I'd like to put a little twist on something Bill said.

I've been watching baseball since 1975, and in THAT time no pitcher was as dominant as Pedro Martinez was from 1998-2002. During that five year stretch he was virtually unhittable.

I'd like to have a little fun with that statement.

Who were the most hittable pitchers you remember?

In other words, beer-league caliber players who couldn't find the strike zone with a GPS.

Mariano Rivers looks harder to hit than Pedro Martinez. He throws one pitch and no one can zero in on it. Every hit I see him give up is hit from a defensive swing.

The most unhittable pitcher I have ever seen over one full season was the most unhittable ever: Bob Gibson in 1968.

The most hittable pitcher with a major league arm had to be Heathcliff Slocum. He had a hundred mile an hour drainpipe fastball. There is another guy whose name escapes me that Ken Harrelson used to talk about that threw at a hundred miles an hour in the minors back in the 1960s, but never made it above double A. I don't know if he was hittable or if he just never found the strike zone.

Nolan Ryan at twilight might have been the most unhittable ever. I once saw his stats for twilight starts and they were unreal. Ryan was the greatest .500 pitcher ever. When he left his team as a free agent after going 16-14, his manager was asked how he'd ever replace such a pitcher and he said, "I'll just get two guys to go eight and seven."

I have always thought that 150 year old pitcher from the Phillies...Jaime Moyer...is BEYOND hittable. I have guys in the baseball league I play on the weekends that throw harder than that guy. They use to make a big deal of how good former Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Padres and Rangers pitcher Calvin Schiraldi was....but in college, when he was at his best.... I lit him up like a Christmas tree..... I went 7-9 with 4 doubles, 7 runs and 9 RBIs...!:D

Greg Maddux NOW looks extremely hittable. And his ERA proves it....

Matt Morris, also known as the highest paid player in Pirates franchise history, where he made 10 million dollars a year to serve up hits every fifth day. Things got so bad the typically cheap Pirates bought out his contract.

For Paul O'Neill it was Don Robinson. He has a bunch of HR's off that guy.

If we're talking about successful pitchers that looked hittable, one name pops up in my head: Jimmy Key.

Key was a very good pitcher for the Blue Jays and Yankees, but to me he looked very hittable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)