Most people don't know what FTA satellite TV is

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dishman Dan

I like your style, it sounds right on the money. You may want to diverse your favicons choice from extra Message Menu. ;)

I'll play Devils advocate for a bit. As FTA becomes more and more popular won't the programmers be more inclined to scramble their signals as quickly as possible? Just say'n.:)

Well what the heck is still out there that programmers don't advertise as FTA fodder (besides History and Bio, which we couldn't possibly advertise in any sort of campaign)?

BYU TV and the Pentagon Channel post their coordinates on their website.
When I asked ONN how I could receive their channel from Washington, they told me to get an FTA dish.
All of the religious channels try to get their message out to as many people as possible, so they aren't going anywhere either.

If you look at the content out there, there is quite a lot. English content not as much. There is certainly a market for the channels of other languages understood by others. We can't control what is being broadcast but, that is where the real market is, for now!
So keeping in with this thread, the focus should be with what is available, to who is really intersted and attracted to such programming that sat. providers don't offer. Follow the programming market.
It would also help keep installers working if the customer can't install but will save in the end!!
Tracker.

Yep!
being able to understand 4 languages makes this hobby much more fun! :D

All of the religious channels try to get their message out to as many people as possible, so they aren't going anywhere either.

All of the ethnic channels want people to watch it on FTA. They even list the TP data on their screens and websites once in while.

What about all the publicly funded national and local channels (i.e community channels, etc)? Those could be on FTA just like PBS is.

Do you guys remember UONTV (You On TV) FTA channel on Telstar 5 a few years ago?

A lot on C-band as well that most of rural America and the Hispanic population can benefit from.

The one thing not being mentioned here is feeds. Feeds constitute a large portion of my interest in FTA, and in my opinion, are FTA's greatest asset. However, if feed viewing were to become common practice among the general public, those feeds would disappear quite quickly. The reason that we, as FTAers, are still receiving some of "the good stuff" is that the uplinkers consider us a non-factor. I'm not sure I want to see that change...

There are a few big hurdles to a larger acceptance of FTA:

1) While people are accepting of a Pizza Dish on their property (and HOAs allow them through gritted teeth), putting up a 30-36" dish is going to cause a little more hesitation. Telling people that they need a minimum 6' dish to get C-Band is probably going to be a deal breaker.

2) Promoting programming is a tight rope, even with us on this site. Sure, there's PBS and a few Government Access channels in English, but anything else is a little suspect. Want the big networks? Yes, they're out there, but they're not meant for public consumption. Promote to the masses that you can watch NBC in HD on Ku (timeshifted at that), FOX and their football games on C-Band, or MSNBC without getting cable and we'll be dealing with more sources getting encrypted.

3) What is out there is pretty niche right now for the casual viewer. Other than PBS and a few utility channels (i.e. The AMC6 NBC Mux, KLOVE audio) you'd have to either want a specific ethnic channel or a set of extremely similar religious channels. Other channels, like Bio or History, are not there for us either and might go the way of E! or ESPNNews at a moment's notice.

I'm all for people knowing more about FTA -- everything from G25's news channels to announcer-free pro-football games. But I'd also want them to know about the erratic nature of FTA -- and that part is going to be a hard sell.

I agree with what everyone else has pretty much said. Well I have people at work that think I'm nuts doing all I do with my little dish farm. They really do like being spoon fed. My folks are well into their retirement years and complain that the pizza guys are too expensive. They've cut back a little but can't "live" without certain channels. When I grew up some 50 years ago I was tickled that we had three or four channels to watch. We were happy with what we had and enjoyed it. Now people are addicted to certain channels. I can live without the major channels that they "have" to have. I guess I just don't see FTA ever being mainstream. The whole mentality of the way people think about what they watch and, how much they are willing to pay would have to change. Maybe we can start a support group for those who can't afford $100-150 a month for tv....Maybe we already have. Blind

"NAFTA was to eliminate barriers of trade and investment between the USA, Canada and Mexico." To bad the FTA part had nothing to do with Free To Air TV in rural parts of North America. We need to have lobbyist to push FTA in Washington or Ottawa for a start.

While flipping through the TV channels yesterday, I saw on a news channel that there is currently a movement that would eliminate free OTA TV signals. I guess too many are installing outdoor antennas rather than buying local channels elsewhere. I certainly hope this doesn't happen and will do anything I can to stop it.

The satellite TV enthusiast is willing to tinker and point and tweak dishes, spend hours looking for new feeds etc.

The typical consumer wants to sit back and watch TV, browse the EPG and COMPLAIN at the first opportunity something isn't 100% to their satisfaction.

Read some of the endless repetitive daily rants in the Dish and DirecTv forums here. Until that mentality changes and people learn to get their hands dirty, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

People ask me all the time if I can get them free TV. When I explain what it's all about, what's up there and what's involved, the interest fades.

The satellite TV enthusiast is willing to tinker and point and tweak dishes, spend hours looking for new feeds etc.

The typical consumer wants to sit back and watch TV, browse the EPG and COMPLAIN at the first opportunity something isn't 100% to their satisfaction.

Read some of the endless repetitive daily rants in the Dish and DirecTv forums here. Until that mentality changes and people learn to get their hands dirty, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

People ask me all the time if I can get them free TV. When I explain what it's all about, what's up there and what's involved, the interest fades.

I agree 100% and experience the same thing myself.

Most people want the easy, no hassle TV setup. That is understandable for the majority of the society.

On the other hand, I feel there are a lot of people (i.e. the mechanically and electronically inclined, the hobbyists, the DIYs, the multi-cultural, the immigrants, the religiously devoted, etc) in the USA who cherish freedom of choice, don't care about MSM, don't mind getting their hands dirty, and would love to get involved in this hobby. That is if, they become aware of its existance.

How do we raise awareness?

...Read some of the endless repetitive daily rants in the Dish and DirecTv forums here. .

Boy oh boy, that strikes a nerve with me. Much of that whining keeps me out of there...

...People ask me all the time if I can get them free TV. When I explain what it's all about, what's up there and what's involved, the interest fades.

Yep. It's like, "What do you mean you can't get channel X?" Otherwise, why bother...

How do we raise awareness?

Suppose we did. Such as it is, I say they would still reject it. The FTA paradigm is not acceptable.

I hate the use of the term "true" FTA. Unfortunately FTA has received a bad name and "true" has to be used.

I think the best way to explain FTA to someone that has no idea, it to just simply explain that there are hundreds of "unique" and/or foreign channels available in the sky for free. Explain that it is not the same as pay TV such as Dish or DirecTV. You can let them know that if they are looking a hobby, fun with satellite exploration, background noise type channels etc. then FTA is the way to go.

Or let them know they can supplement it with their paid service. If they are looking for more world news, culture etc.

I have been showing my inlaws what FTA is at my other location, there I don't have internet or Direct TV other than FTA and OTA. One question I got was the need for so many dishes. I told them that unlike Direct Tv or Dish, different channels are spread out on different satellites. Some satellites only have one channel of interest, they kind of understand it. At least they don't think I "collect" satellite dishes because they look nice...lol

As I mentioned in another thread, my interest for FTA initially was to get the alternative talk radio networks on 97W at my other location because I do not have a internet connection there. And being a occasional FM and TV DXer....FTA is just a extension of my radio, electronic and ham hobbies anyway.

The alternative radio talk networks on 97W are a huge draw with people who listen to Alex Jones,The Power Hour , RBN, The Micro Effect, Brother Stair, James Lloyd and others. The people who listen to those networks and shows are really not into FTA per se. It is a matter of not having a internet connection or a local station nearby, that gives them a incentive to get a FTA system.

Ricks Satellite has a special web page on "Patriot radio" on Satellite and even sells receivers already premapped with the 97W alternative talk radio networks. That is where I bought my first system from, because I heard Rick's was mentioned on "the Power Hour" on Genesis Communications Network...on internet at home.

Glory Star was mentioned as a reason for some people getting into FTA , and the alternative talk radio networks on 97W like I mentioned are yet another reason for others to get into FTA. A friend back East says one of his customers in NJ has a FTA setup to get the ethnic FTA TV programs on 97W.

I am concerned (like others) that if FTA did take off in a big way, some of the channels that we get now could be gone tomorrow. I do see a good potential for domestic FTA service like Europe has, but I think the broadcast/cable networks and the NAB is firmly against it. And it comes down to money, as it is I been reading reports that Time Warner cable and others had major issues with the price increases Fox was asking from those systems.

However, if the networks wanted new viewers and new networks they could do it right now on FTA Ku Band and let all the systems carry it for free if they wished. They could keep their prime stuff where it is now on Direct, Dish and Cable and develop new programs and not so prime stuff to put on FTA and throw in some network news stuff in the morning and evenings.

It really would not cost them much of anything and most of the transponders the networks have on Ku Band go unused..I see those Verizon / NBC color bars on 103w quite a lot. There is a lot of space to put up new transponders...79W being the most recent example and others like 123W.

One thing I would like to see is a joint US/Canada news service that would be FTA and could also be carried on both Canadian and U.S. systems as well. I think a North American Network Newschannel is overdue.

Most people don't know what true FTA satellite TV is or even exists.

question-mark1a.jpg

I have read and heard from people who use true FTA satellite systems that their relatives, friends, neighbors, etc. never heard about Free to air television. Or even considered it on their shopping list.

What can we (the forum members and sponsors) do to make FTA more popular amongst the masses?

Can you imagine the joy people will have from learning and using FTA satellite TV?
The educational, mechanical, and entertainment aspect is priceless. Nevermind, the overall savings on monthly access fee.

I would love to hear comments and suggestions.

No, people don't know what it is. I've been told by so many people "OH! You are stealing satellite!" when I tell them I get free satellite. My neighbours go on with it and I've been accused of it when I went to some satellite stores to look for dishes and parts and stuff.

And no amount of trying to explain it works. People just can't understand that there really is free satellite tv. :(

I haven't read all the pages in this thread, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

Promotion costs money. Newspaper space, radio spots, billboards, etc. are not cheap. There must be a return on investment. Sure, promoting FTA will help Sadoun and other vendors, but to stay in business, the ROI is a major factor.

It is the same with many other areas that don't have a deep pocketed vendor to get started. I'd love to see more people entering the ham radio hobby or the garden railroad hobby.

Another area that is hurt even more is computers. Linux and Open Source software IMHO is the only way to go. Much cheaper, more choices, more versatility and stability. An entrepreneur with large capital and able to handle a long ROI could eventually make a fortune selling computers preconfigured with Linux. They'd need a huge publicity campaign, provide top notch support, a good Internet presence, and some brick and mortar outlets. You can have a plug and play product. You make your money on support.

Promoting FTA would need the same thing. IMHO, FTA will always be a niche hobby and never succeed as a mainstream product for the masses in the US. There is too much "hands on" tweaking, etc. to appeal to Joe Citizen. There is not a vendor large enough to provide support to the level of existing DBS providers. No one is going to make enough money to make it worthwhile.

My $.0002

Another area that is hurt even more is computers. Linux and Open Source software IMHO is the only way to go. Much cheaper, more choices, more versatility and stability. An entrepreneur with large capital and able to handle a long ROI could eventually make a fortune selling computers preconfigured with Linux. They'd need a huge publicity campaign, provide top notch support, a good Internet presence, and some brick and mortar outlets. You can have a plug and play product. You make your money on support.

I don't know what most of that means but Linux, IS better and cheaper.
I was ripped off so many times with windows and had so much trouble and threw away so much money I switched to Linux. (Well, besides my Macs).

Same thing just like FTA satellite, I go to buy computer parts and they tell me I can't buy the part unless I buy a copy of windows with it. I tell them "No, I don't use windows and don't want it." and they accuse me of pirating bootleg windows.
"No ma'am, you can't run a computer without windows, you are required by law to buy a copy of windows with this part. If you're pirating windows you can go to jail!"

Idiots. So I just go to somewhere else and buy what I want.

Why are people so ignorant like that? Or are they just trying to scare me into buying something I don't want and don't need, just to cheat me out of more money?

"NAFTA was to eliminate barriers of trade and investment between the USA, Canada and Mexico." To bad the FTA part had nothing to do with Free To Air TV in rural parts of North America. We need to have lobbyist to push FTA in Washington or Ottawa for a start.
Free-Trade-Agreement has nothing to do with satellite TV. In fact,when NAFTA was negotiated, it specifically excluded cultural "goods".

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)