Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Motel 6 Selects DISH’s smartbox™ to Deliver In-Room Entertainment to 500+ Properties

Release Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:16 am MDT
Terms: Products and Services
Dateline City: ENGLEWOOD, Colo.

Solution will deliver energy savings equivalent to more than 50 million pounds of CO2 emissions

DISH service will reach all corporately owned and operated motels

World Cinema to provide ongoing customer service

DISH’s smartbox brings scalability, space reduction and remote manageability

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Motel 6, one of the nation’s largest motel chains, World Cinema, an industry leader in delivering satellite TV to hotels, and DISH Network L.L.C. have completed a multi-year agreement through which DISH and World Cinema will deliver HD satellite TV service and high speed internet access to the motel chain’s more than 500 corporately owned and operated properties.

“Motel 6 understands the importance of technology that is scalable, economical and energy-efficient,” said Robert Grosz, vice president of Commercial Sales for DISH. “Based on Motel 6’s preferences, we tailored a smartbox™ solution that features channel options and scrolling guide functionality that will enrich each guest’s stay at the motel.”

“Our goal is to deliver the best possible in-room experience, and the smartbox™ solution has provided that capability,” said Tom Lusk, vice president of Procurement at Motel 6. “After reviewing many competitive offers, we quickly determined we could get the same channels for less with DISH and World Cinema and pass that savings onto our guests. We will now be able to provide HD quality video to all guests while also lowering our environmental impact through lower energy consumption.”

“World Cinema has grown with Motel 6 through three generations of in-room technology, and we pride ourselves on delivering cutting edge technology to the hotel industry,” said Chet Dickson, President of World Cinema. “Combining this tailored HD TV solution with our optimized internet service represents the future of in-room entertainment. Motel 6 guests will have the at-home experience at their fingertips.”

DISH’s smartbox™ features the flexibility to support a custom combination of legacy analog and HD channels at the same property, while easily reconfigured to meet future expansion and technology needs. By enabling new feature downloads via satellite, smartbox™ can support the latest upgrades without the need for new equipment. With a compact form factor, smartbox™ takes up considerably less space and uses significantly less power than other solutions.

I thought those were really expensive. How can Motel 6 afford this?

- How can they afford NOT to do this; it's 2015 & they're obviously looking to upgrade all their rooms to HDTV. It's like needing Wi-Fi at a hotel, it's considered a necessity in this day & age & they have to keep up with all the other hotels out there
- I'm sure they're getting a price break from DISH on this (both the equip AND prog), since they are rolling it out across the entire chain. Since DISH is nationwide, they're probably also going to save prog costs by going with a national TV provider (as opposed to having to deal with numerous cable systems)
- It's a partnership w/Motel 6's current in-room provider World Cinema, probably another cost-savings
- It can be cheaper than having an HD set-top box in each room; with this system, a normal "commercial"/hotel HDTV can be used, which is probably what World Cinema already uses
- It's can use the same, current, coax infrastructure, since the linear TV channels are QAM based; no costly re-wiring needed

Yep, if everything is in clear QAM, all they have to do is rescan the HDTVs in each room and they're good to go.

Yep, if everything is in clear QAM, all they have to do is rescan the HDTVs in each room and they're good to go.

Not quite; these types of (HD) setups usually do NOT use clear QAM; it's QAM based, but the (HD) QAM signals are encrypted with Pro:Idiom, which is a encryption standard used in commercial HDTV applications, as I stated in my 1st post above. There are commercial grade HDTV's made, that can decrypt these signals internally, w/out requiring external STB's on each set; but there IS some sort of programming routine required on each set, in these types of setups. (either through a USB stick or through the SMATV system) Many programers REQUIRE some sort of signal encryption on (at least) their HD signals in commercial environments (mostly premium & other types of cable programming) & therefore cannot be sent out in clear QAM.

Not quite; these types of (HD) setups usually do NOT use clear QAM; it's QAM based, but the (HD) QAM signals are encrypted with Pro:Idiom, which is a encryption standard used in commercial HDTV applications, as I stated in my 1st post above. There are commercial grade HDTV's made, that can decrypt these signals internally, w/out requiring external STB's on each set; but there IS some sort of programming routine required on each set, in these types of setups. (either through a USB stick or through the SMATV system) Many programers REQUIRE some sort of signal encryption on (at least) their HD signals in commercial environments (mostly premium & other types of cable programming) & therefore cannot be sent out in clear QAM.

Just did a Super8 with a Directv Com2000 system

Had to program all the tv's with usb sticks to turn on the pro idium decryption.

I'm not sure if the smart box does pro-idium or not, but this will be the last time I stay at a motel 6. They just turned the light off for me.

- How can they afford NOT to do this; it's 2015 & they're obviously looking to upgrade all their rooms to HDTV. It's like needing Wi-Fi at a hotel, it's considered a necessity in this day & age & they have to keep up with all the other hotels out there
- I'm sure they're getting a price break from DISH on this (both the equip AND prog), since they are rolling it out across the entire chain. Since DISH is nationwide, they're probably also going to save prog costs by going with a national TV provider (as opposed to having to deal with numerous cable systems)
- It's a partnership w/Motel 6's current in-room provider World Cinema, probably another cost-savings
- It can be cheaper than having an HD set-top box in each room; with this system, a normal "commercial"/hotel HDTV can be used, which is probably what World Cinema already uses
- It's can use the same, current, coax infrastructure, since the linear TV channels are QAM based; no costly re-wiring needed

FYI World Cinema is just a scumbag reseller. I have run into them before. They like to under report drops when selling larger properties.

World cinema probably worked the deal and got dish to give a discount on the programming, or world cinema. Is discounting the programming themselves.

I'm not sure if the smart box does pro-idium or not,

100% sure is does; it's right there on the brochure I posted in my post...not to mention (again) some programers REQUIRE Pro:Idiom encryption in their contracts w/providers - so it would be silly if the Smartbox DIDN'T do it...as (obviously) your COM2000 system does. ;)

I learn something every day. So if most of the hotel TVs are all set up for HD, why am I frequently disappointed to find several channels in analog SD? Most often, locals? Is this just because of legacy headend junk at each property that won't be replaced until it dies?

Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah good question. You walk into your room and see a nice looking flat screen and good luck trying to find any HD to watch. Mostly letterboxed SD that makes everyone look like the squished mirror in the fun house!

Reactions: TheKrell
Honestly, in most major markets, with the exception of HBO, I think there are so many subchannels these days that the low and mid end hotel properties could just provide a full OTA lineup - in HD (or the best quality each channel is transmitted in anyway) and a lot of customers would be happy. Yes, people probably still want HBO and/or Cinemax, but that's really all you'd need. I wonder how long till they sell OTT HBO to hotels?

Honestly, in most major markets, with the exception of HBO, I think there are so many subchannels these days that the low and mid end hotel properties could just provide a full OTA lineup - in HD (or the best quality each channel is transmitted in anyway) and a lot of customers would be happy. Yes, people probably still want HBO and/or Cinemax, but that's really all you'd need. I wonder how long till they sell OTT HBO to hotels?
Not really. A lot of people expect and WANT the most popular cable channels they expect every hotel motel to provice like Fox News, CNN (especially those 2 news channels if they are from out of town), USA, Weather Channel, Discovery, Lifetime, ESPN (of course), at the very, very least. Sub-channel OTA is not going to cut it for any chain.

I see USA, for the wrestling fans, locals for the prime time and local news fans, CNN and FNC for the news junkies, and one or two of the lady channels(LMN and HMC). Lastly, to make it worth it, a single HBO station.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)