Motor limits? How far is to far?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
So after all of this. I was messing around with my motor and realized it wouldn't even get to 61.5 Yet were I placed it. I can go alot more room each direction. Now the book says default is 70 west to 70 east. What is the harm if I move them and does everybody move the default? I know pointing the big primestar dish off my porch I was hitting something and if I can adjust the limits for the motor. I'm sure I could hit it again. At least this was with the analog signal meter. Any ideas or help. I do realize the primestar is a little bigger than the 39cm dish I got. Oh and I'm in Idaho so if I can do some crazy stuff in the lower part. down by utah border. Let me know. Not up by canada.

thanks,

Josh

So after all of this. I was messing around with my motor and realized it wouldn't even get to 61.5 Yet were I placed it. I can go alot more room each direction. Now the book says default is 70 west to 70 east.

When it says that the default motor limits are 70 deg. west to 70 deg east that means it can go "up to" 70 degrees in either direction from the motor starting point of 0. 0 would be true south at your location. For example, my true south would be at 115 degrees. This is where my motor would be at the 0 position. Now with the default settings of the motor, I would be able to go up to 70 deg east or west from a starting point of 115 deg. No matter where you live in the US, you'll be able to get the full arc with the default motor settings. Hopefully I haven't confused you.

So let me get this straigh

Mine is about 113. so if I take 70 from that. I get 43 east? one way and 203 west? the other way. But I can't seem to get that far. So my logic could be flawed. I also tripled check to make sure it was not hitting the side of the house. Could be something I'm doing too. I'm going to double check tommorow since that is my day off. See what the limits are incase somebody changed them before shipment as a saftey. ALso it does not help that there is a big tree in that direction for the some of the other ones. Luckly most of the stuff I'm looking at is out in the open. Interesting how much stuff changes from east to west via trees, power lines and stuff like that.

laters,

Josh

I've found that USALS mode frequently will not go to the full limit of your motor travel, but Diseqc 1.2 mode will . Try manually driving the motor further west ( or east) and see if you get it to move.

Also if the dish hits something, it will go back to your true south. Where I am in MN (93.0) my motor should be able to go to 23.0W but once I get to 31W the dish hits one of the braces on the back of the mast so it goes back to true south. Make sure the dish isn’t hitting something

Also, as noted, USALS wont go the full length. Need to use Diseqc 1.2 for those far reach locations

Thanks, guys, for the tip about switching to 1.2 from usals. I had thought that Telstar 12 was beyond the reach of my SG2100 from here, but after switching to 1.2 I made contact.

A blind scan on T12 only produced one radio channel and no TV which I thought a bit puzzling, then I remembered reading that sometimes you have to specify manual scans (Iceberg pearl of wisdom, I think). Lyngsat was helpful here since many other lists for N.America ignore birds that far out, and result is 6 TV and about 13 radio channels. Pity I don't speak Dutch.

Thanks again for the useful tips! Next I will try for Atlantic Bird 1.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)