Motor & two LNB's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dplus

Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Hi,
I have a question about my motor and DisEqc 4X1 switch. Currently I have one FTA receiver connected with HH Motor and circular polarization LNB. What I'm looking for is to add (strap) a linear LNB (beside the main focal LNB) to the configuration so I can catch on linear feeds of some sats. My question is:

If I strap the linear LNB beside the circular LNB and then run two cables (one from each LNB) to a DisEqc switch and then from the DisEqc switch to the Motor and from the Motor to the receiver.

1) Am I going to be able to switch from one LNB to the other even if the motor is between the switch and receiver?

2) Will this configuration interfere with the Motor function?

Thanks for your advice.

Hello and welcome to SatelliteGuys.US

I think you would do better putting the KU LNBF in the prime focal point and putting the DBS LNB to the side, KU satellites are MUCH weaker than DBS, so you NEED the KU getting as much signal as possible. You can then zip tie the DBS LNB to the KU LNBF, or there are dual LNB brackets available, I use zip ties : ) (The dish will also have to be 30" minimum for KU)

1/ This will work depending on the make of your receiver.

2/ Same again should work depending on the receiver.

On the Fortec you can set up the DiSEqC switch and Motor (DiSEqC 1.2/USALS Positioner setting) independently in the antenna set up screen.

About Receiver

PBS,
Thanks for your fast answer and thanks for the welcome. When I get into the settings for my dish I have the following settings for DiseQC: None, Motor, USALS, DisEqc A, DisEqc B, DisEqc C, DisEqc D. So it mean that I might not be able to control both separately.

(Just for your knowledge the options I have for the satellite are:
- C/Ku: None, 0/12, Tone.
- LO Freq.
- 22 kHz: On/Off
- 0/12V
- Tone Burst
- DiseQc: None, Motor, USALS, DisEqc A, DisEqc B, DisEqc C, DisEqc D.)

Now, if the above configuration doesn't work, Do you think I can use an A/B switch? I'm planning the following confoguration:

One cable from receiver to Motor. Then from the Motor to A/B switch, then from A to LNB1 and from B to LNB2. Will this work?

Thanks

Sounds like your receiver will not work then : (

The A/B switch will work but it means you will have to go outside to switch LNBF ?
I use the same method but I ran 2 coax cables indoors to the A/B switch, too cold to run outside all the time here.

Cables

Pbs,
Yeah, you're right. It is easier to have the A/B switch near you, but then from the A/B switch you run another cable to connect to the motor, right?

Or is there another configuration you recommend to me?

Thanks

I use one cable from receiver (A/B) to motor then to KU LNBF(to motor dish), then another cable from DBS LNB to receiver(A/B). I just use the trial and error method to find the DBS satellites, using the KU side to motor over a bit, then switch to DBS side to check for signal quality, with the DBS satellites being so strong its not hard to do, and it only needs to be done once, after the position is stored it will never need done again!

Remember the L.O. for DBS =11250
and for KU the L.O. =10750

Good luck!

Switches

I have seen some switches that offer switching capabilities using either 0/12V or 22kHz signaling. Do you think this also help me to switch the LNB's without the use of an A/B switch?

Also, how is the receiver controlling the motor? is the receiver using 13/18V signaling? Because if this is true, then I think I can have the possibility to use this kind of switch.

Actually, the models I'm looking are S-SM21 and S-SM21H

Thanks for your help.

A 0/12 or a 22kHz switch will be a great solution for your install since your receiver does not support simultaneous use of USALS and DiSEqC.

Recommendation

Thanks Brian for your answer. Which one do you think is better? Or what advantages have one over the other?

Thanks

One Dish 2 LNBs

DVB Master has the Flexiblock feedholder for $15.00 + shipping. I want to use a FTA LNB and DBS lnb on my 1 meter motorized dish. The wife is complaining about all the dishes (3) in the yard so this seems to be the best alternative at the moment.

Anybody else tried to use one of these units?

MrM

dplus said:
Thanks Brian for your answer. Which one do you think is better? Or what advantages have one over the other?

Thanks

A 22kHz switch cannot be used with an universal LNBF since the 22kHZ tone is used for high / low LO selection. If your receiver supports 0/12 VDC this option would give you the greatest configuratation options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)