Motorhome Satellite - Need Help

Mc2guy

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
NoVA
I am about to have an in-motion satellite installed on my motorhome, and I need some advice. I have been lurking here for a few days and am astounded by the depth of information, great site and resource!

Now, for the questions. I have searched several of these and can't find any straight answers so I'll dive right in.

Question 1:
I am having the dome installed at a local dealer, and need to bring in an active dish receiver to have them perform the install. I can't get dish at home due to my location, so I signed up for new service at a local radio shack. When I asked for the VIP 222, they said their was a "software problem with High Definition and dome satellites" and basically told me there were NO receivers that they could offer me that would allow me to watch HD on an in-motion dome.

I have since researched this issue and I think what the CSR meant to say is that I can't have a dual tuner receiver because the domes can only lock on to one bird at a time 110, 119, or 129 for the dome in question.

That said, shouldn't a single tuner HD receiver work just fine, e.g. a VIP 211k?

Question 2:
I don't need the ability to watch two different channels since I would be using either the main salon TV or the bedroom tv, but never both at once. Can the VIP 211k send a simultaneous signal to one TV via HDMI and another TV via coax? I know the channel would be the same, I am just wondering if this would work because I could just use the one box to send to two TVs on the same channel.

Question 3:
Since I know that occasionally I'll be parked where I can't see a sattelite, I'll need a portable to use on the ground. Which dish would work best for this...would a used Dish 1000 cover me ok?

Question 4:
Since I will own the equipment, does dish offer the ability to activate/deactivate service seasonally? I would only need service during the warmer months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mc2guy

I am about to have an in-motion satellite installed on my motorhome, and I need some advice. I have been lurking here for a few days and am astounded by the depth of information, great site and resource!

Now, for the questions. I have searched several of these and can't find any straight answers so I'll dive right in.

Question 1:
I am having the dome installed at a local dealer, and need to bring in an active dish receiver to have them perform the install. I can't get dish at home due to my location, so I signed up for new service at a local radio shack. When I asked for the VIP 222, they said their was a "software problem with High Definition and dome satellites" and basically told me there were NO receivers that they could offer me that would allow me to watch HD on an in-motion dome.

I have since researched this issue and I think what the CSR meant to say is that I can't have a dual tuner receiver because the domes can only lock on to one bird at a time 110, 119, or 129 for the dome in question.

That said, shouldn't a single tuner HD receiver work just fine, e.g. a VIP 211k?

Question 2:
I don't need the ability to watch two different channels since I would be using either the main salon TV or the bedroom tv, but never both at once. Can the VIP 211k send a simultaneous signal to one TV via HDMI and another TV via coax? I know the channel would be the same, I am just wondering if this would work because I could just use the one box to send to two TVs on the same channel.

Question 3:
Since I know that occasionally I'll be parked where I can't see a sattelite, I'll need a portable to use on the ground. Which dish would work best for this...would a used Dish 1000 cover me ok?

Question 4:
Since I will own the equipment, does dish offer the ability to activate/deactivate service seasonally? I would only need service during the warmer months.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Mc2guy

I'll answer the ones I can and let others chime in on the rest:

Question 1) I have no experience in using the in-motion domes, but it "should" work.

Question 2) Yes, all outputs are active on Dish receivers at all times. As you said, the signal would be a mirror. Not sure what you are planning to use as displays, but you can actually have 2 HD TVs hooked up to the 211k (one via component and one via HDMI) - again these would be the same signal.

Question 3) A Dish 1000 would work, but I'd go with a 1000.2 just because you'll get a little better signal. I know when I'm tailgating I sometimes get into issues where I can barely get one of the birds and it is nice to have that little extra cushion.

Question 4) Yes, it is called Dish Pause. I believe there is a nominal fee for the months you are deactivated but still under contract (I think it is $5, but don't hole me to that).

Question 1...the mfg of the in motion system would be the source for the correct answer. My personal experience was limited to Dish 301/311. I'm not speaking for all brands available. If the brand that you have picked doesn't offer in motion operation using a 211, may I suggest that you purchase a 211/222/612/722 as primary receiver using the 1000.2 portable dish when parked and the 311 for motion.

I called king controls and they indicated that I needed a VIP 211 or 211k (what's the difference?) to have in-motion high definition. I will go back to the distributor tonight and see if I can get the 211.

Thanks!

Mc2guy

The 211 and 211k are very similiar; that is, all if the same except the 211k comes with new 21.0 learning remotes and internally has a more efficient cooling mechanism. The 222k has the new learning remotes and is capable of having an OTA module installed so that the number 2 TV can watch the locals you pull from the 222k receiver on TV 1.

I have a friend with Dish who has done some consulting for the offshore rig "in-motion" installs. I'll send him an email and see if I can get some more info about the dome install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)