Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatelliteAV

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 3, 2004
Roseville, CA
While at the ANGA show in Cologne, Germany last year, I saw a product that many of you probably don't know about. In hind sight, many of us probably would have used this product sooner if we had heard about it!

Seems like so many hobbyist continue to try mounting oversized Channel Master (Andrews, Raven) dishes on HH motors designed for much lighter and smaller dishes. While some have success with modifying or replacing the AZ/EL mount, the fact remains that HH motors are not designed to handle the weight combined with the tremendous wind loads of these dishes.

I was very impressed with the design and build on the 1.2m version of the PrimeSat Polar mount CH12MK3 for the Channel Master, Andrews and Raven dishes. While I did not see the versions for the larger dishes at the show, they look equally well engineered. I am about to purchase the CH18MK2 model for an Andrews 1.8m fixed AZ/EL offset that was donated to our shop a few years ago. I will report in the next few months about the product and installation.

Check out the Primesat products on their website: http://www.primesat.eu/satellite_dish_polar_mounts.php

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

What I see there looks like it would be plenty stout for a 1.2m but wonder if the 1.8m model is a little more robust?

My hillbilly eyeball-engineering would like to see heavier gauge bracketry, and more/bigger u-bolts for the pole attachment.

Looking forward to your review.

The 1.8 and 2.4 versions are completely different design. The photos on the website show several different angles of each model.

I thought Andrews and Prodelin both offered such mounts years ago.
Just at steep prices.
Not a lot of market in the USA for such an item.
(except to saavy FTAers)

Thanks for the info.

I thought Andrews and Prodelin both offered such mounts years ago.
Just at steep prices.

Exactly! These Primesat products are much more reasonably priced for the hobbyist. As I recall, the Andrews 1.2 version cost was much more than the dish.

I've been using the same SG2100 motor on my 120cm Channel Master dish now for the past 9 years with no problems.

Attachments

• Satellite%20005.jpg
    Satellite%20005.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 941
I started this thread as members repeatedly ask how to motorize a Primestar. There are not many good solutions.

Your solution is somewhat protected and near the ground. While it works, the mechanical integrity of the motor would be tested by any significant wind gust. I certainly wouldn't volunteer to stand underneath of it during a windstorm if it were mounted any higher.

Today's SG2100 motor wouldn't be capable of supporting a 1.2m. The bracket is now paper thin. You probably have one of the good versions like I have before it went cheap.

Heck, that doesn't look like it would be very difficult to reproduce as a DIY project! A welder, bandsaw, CNC mill, brake, drill, drill press and some scrap metal, then buy the actuator and swivel pivot joints, arms, bushings, jacking bolts and mounting hardware. A person might even have enough ready-made parts from other dish and motor assemblies that you could even piece-part much of it together.

RADAR

If I were crazy enough to design a custom mount, it would utilize as many pre-made parts as possible.
That might include round or square tubing, possibly aluminum for rust resistance and ease of construction.
Yea, more expensive, but maybe only a few dollars.

However, if I were manufacturing a quantity of them, all parts would be bent or stamped in-house, and steel.
Then, would you spend the money to hot-dip galvanize them?
Would you powder coat 'em?

Would you put in the effort to show/adjust declination & elevation (something used only once).? :)

One reason I like dish pictures, is to study the mounts.
Some are incredibly simple in design and manufacture.

I lunch weekly with a buddy who has mill, lathe, drill press, torch, and bandsaw.
However, I would get a much bigger kick out of showing a design any of us could make with hacksaw, and maybe drill press.

And if you were serious, why not fabricate a simple H-H mount? ;)

If anyone wants to do either, start a new thread, and we'll talk.

Meanwhile the mounts above look pretty good.
I missed the prices...?

Yes, the pricing is not on the website. I woulld be interested if I felt it could handle a 1.8 Prodelin. That is a pretty heavy dish. The mount that SatAV mentioned looks a little on the light side, but the CH24100 looks a bit heavier duty.

I did the currency conversions on both of the good sizes. The 1.8M mount comes in at just under $900 retail WITHOUT INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING. The 2.4M mount comes in at just under $1300 retail again W/O shipping.

Last edited:
That just isn't what I needed to see in the winter, lol, now I can't wait until it warms up some so I can try piecing together one of those! Maybe I'll do it "RocketCity Redneck" style and make it out of old appliance parts. My only complaint will probably be that those old superjacks aren't very accurate. The brand they show on those ads might be better, but my experience with cheap ones is-they won't stop in the same place twice in a row. And how does the fta control that thing? Something like the gbox interface somewhere?

let's get calibrated

$900 or $1300 is about as outrageous as someone spending $1000 on a NEW BUD!
Yes, there are a few willing to do it. Very few.
I'll stand by 'till someone comes up with: under $200. :)

For that, you should be able to secure & refurbish an old Ajak 180.
Pendragon has one slinging his 6' Prodelin offset from horizon to horizon, like a chew toy! ;)

We were talking about the polar mount.

Maybe SatelliteAV will offer a more informed opinion as to what it would need as retail price to bring it to North America. :)

And congratulations on getting Dish Network that far south. ;)

To successfully manufacture this type of product in North America it probably would likely be for direct resale. Don't think that there is a large enough market to support a distributor level partnership.

This is about as cheap as they get . . . I got one . . you have to rotate the base ring.

Crap -vs- quality... No comparison.

Prime focus panel dish with 65% efficiency and panels that are thinner gauge than most 90cm dishes. Great first step for a starter dish, but I am sure that the Channel Master 1.2m is quite close in performance. Probably a little less, but not by much.

Last edited:
To successfully manufacture this type of product in North America it probably would likely be for direct resale. Don't think that there is a large enough market to support a distributor level partnership.

This is what I was thinking. To be able to get a reasonable discount, a container load would be the most efficient shipment. I find it real hard to believe there is a container load of customers out there. Local manufacture for direct sale would be the best bet for North American customers.

Crap -vs- quality... No comparison.

Prime focus panel dish with 65% efficiency and panels that are thinner gauge than most 90cm dishes. Great first step for a starter dish, but I am sure that the Channel Master 1.2m is quite close in performance. Probably a little less, but not by much.

Yes, that Chinese dish is absolute crap . . . I will post a comparison for KU soon

In another recent thread, we talked about importing Mexican-made 6' or 8' dishes (1.8-2.4m).
Some that might stand up to the coastal winds and salt air (so, molded?).
Never did get any feedback on that idea. :)

But what about Mexican-manufactured mounts?
They must make some, given their proctectionist attitude.
And they're close by.
Shipping of small quantities with short lead time shouldn't be a problem.

That just leaves price 'n quality. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts