Motorized Help (Which numbers?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pomernman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Questions, questions, questions???

1) Why do Dishpointer and Sadoun Satellite Dish Look Angle have different Lat/Long, Elev, Az (true/magnetic)? Which one do I use? My zip is 29078.

2) What is declination used for? Do you use elevation for a specific satellite (i.e. G25) or the dish (30 - declination 5.510 - per manual) which equals 24.5.

My motor is set to Latitude 34 (from Sadoun Satellite Dish Look Angle and dish elevation is set to 24.5.

3) What about true south? Do you point motor or dish or both? Is it the true or magnetic azimuth? As I said Dishpointer and Sadoun Satellite Dish Look Angle have differing numbers.

GeoSatFinder agrees with Sadoun SDLA.

Nearest true south Sat Nimiq 2 (82W, compass 188.4, dish elev. 50.2)

What about declination?

Maybe someone can answer one question per response. I would like you to keep it short and simple.

Just a note: Nimiq 2 is not on my receiver.

Thank you sincerely for any help received.

part of the answers:

- I use GeoSat and Satellite Finder; Sadoun should match.
- numbers below come from Sat Finder:
- your ZIP= Lugoff , South Carolina
- latitude = 34° 13.776'
- longitude = 80° 42.882'
- but , you can find your lat/long from searching Google with "latitude longitude [your city, state]"
- most of us use a compass to find direction, so you use the magnetic column from a calculator, to aim your dish
- the side of your motor marked "Latitude" is set to your actual latitude (about 34.1)
- if the other side of the dish has "Elevation", ignore it.
- when starting, you set the motor to 0, or the center of its range
- then, you aim the motor/bracket South with your compass, corrected for local magnetic offset
- then you mount the dish onto the motor shaft, and aim the dish south.
- adjustments that follow, will consist of three things:
- 1) tweaking the motor bracket on your pole for exact south.
- 2) tweaking elevation using dish bracket where it mounts to motor shaft
- 3) set the skew or twist of the LNB to center or zero, when your dish is due south
- declination is accounted for with most aiming calculators, so unless you are setting up a BUD, you can probably ignore it.

And the best piece of advice, is to follow the manufacturer's mounting and alignment instructions... or the ones on the Sadoun web site.
I know they are confusing for the first time, so I hope the above hints will help de-mistify it. ;)

Quick questions:

1 - What about elevation on dish? Is it 50.1 then if I am disregarding declination?

2 - Aiming dish to Azimuth (magnetic) 191.4?

Motor is set at Lat 34.2 (as close as possible). LNB is 0. Motor at 0.

I will try figures later today. I need to tie down (wire support) pole to keep it from wobbling.

Thanks!

Here's another site that tries to give you some helpful answers on aiming the motor, but the Sadoun motor info should be sufficient.

Yea, I get about 50.2° elevation of the dish, but that's not necessarily what you set the dish's mount to. (see above)

I get about 189.9° magnetic Azimuth for aiming to your 82 bird, which is close enough to your 191.4°

Wobbling is not an option. Stiff 'n secure is the only acceptable answer.

My answers here and above do not constitute the entire solution to setting up your motor.
These are just refinements or explanations to help
For better info, see the manual or Sadoun site and follow those instructions.

The Pole must be Stable and Plumb. That can't be stressed enough.

1 - What about elevation on dish? Is it 50.1 then if I am disregarding declination?
From Sadoun's page:
Motor is set to your Latitude, 34.2.
Dish Elevation is 24.
Be sure you are using the correct indicators for both. It is usually not the bolts.
The Dish Elevation marking are known to be off a few degs, Motor Latitude are accurate.

Can you list all your exact equipment?

My elevation on dish will go only to 29.5. The top bolt hits motor arm. I'll put dish elevation back to 24.

I do understand the need for the pole to be plumb and unflexible. I'm going to guide wire with turn-buckles.

My equipment is from WS International.

Sonset DTH6500 receiver, Winegard 76cm DS2076 Dish, TRACKERII+ standard Ku LNBF dual polarization, SG6000 HH DiSEqC1.2 motor.

I did see on the Sadoun site Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew... that my elevation should be 50.2.?

Well time to go I'll be back later. Thanks and thanks again!!!!!

The satellite position in the sky is at a 50.1 degree elevation. This angle for a specific satellite has nothing to do with the angle that you set the motor or the dish angle.

The combined angle of the motor angle, the dish angle and the offset angle for the LNBF will then be aimed at the desired satellite when the motor is rotated to the correct azimuth.

On Sadoun's Dish Calc. page, you would select Your Motor v.s the Sat. But I don't see the SG6000 listed yet, you could probably use the SG2100
Motors are listed at the bottom of the Sat List.

If you can, post a Pic.

Ok, can you spell it out for me? I'm just not wired for this angle/elevation/compass stuff.

What elevation do I use on the dish?

If it is 50.1 my dish hits the top of the motor arm (at 29.5).

I'd have pics but SD card is full.

The motor is set to Latitude 34. Correct?

What you should do? (my opinion?)
set motor to 34 (or 34.1)
set dish reflector to 24.5
point motor south (as in true south) compass should be between 184-185 degrees (I think)
using receiver, set up for USAL's, drive dish to AMC5 @ 79.0w, do a blind scan, or try for 12182 H 23000, also you can try and peak the dish while you're here
Good Luck..!!!

Thanks everyone for your help! I think I'm getting closer. :)

The pole will not be moving. It is plumb. Motor at 34. Dish elevation 24.5. Azimuth is at 184.5.

Ok, now to find a live TP with the satellite finder. What do I do now? I'm reading other threads/posts and motor and receiver manuals. I'm sooooooo confused.:confused:

Your best bet is to take a small TV and your receiver out to the dish with you. Hook it up with a short length of cable, then select a know live tp on the receiver antenna setup menu. Then, you'll only be searching for Quality on that one tp. When it starts coming in, you'll be excited, cause then you've got something you can tweak to maximize.

?But How? Do I move anything? Dish? Motor? Azimuth? Elevation?

I'm outside with small tv and receiver but I'm lost.

up/down, left/right, which sat????

I choose AMC5@79W 12182 2300. I'm moving dish elevation (up/down) (max 29.5 as stated above) and azimuth (left/right). I'll move by hand then do blind scan.

Need help finding Sat

See also Motorized Help (which number).

Anybody out there that can lend me their mind?

How to find Sat? I'm blind scanning AMC5 now AMC9.

Do I move anything?

Thanks

See also Motorized Help (which number).

Anybody out there that can lend me their mind?

How to find Sat? I'm blind scanning AMC5 now AMC9.

Do I move anything?

Thanks

Need more info. Are you using a dish positioner motor?

Edit, Never mind my question, I read your other thread. The dish needs to be pointed at the mid way position of the arc at initial setup. As I recall this is around AMC3 or 5? Re read the instructions for the motor initial setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)