Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser -- Engadget

• It's based on Android 2.1. The build currently being circulated is identified as 2.1 version 1, mirroring the update just pushed to the Nexus One last week.
  • Google Goggles is now pre-installed (no matter how unhelpful it may be).
  • The browser's now multitouch enabled, just like Google Maps 3.4. Huzzah! No Flash, but then again, we weren't really expecting that.
  • Interestingly, the home screen's still got the same look as 2.0.1, meaning it doesn't adopt the Nexus One's rotating 3D grid of app icons -- it's still got the pull-up drawer tab at the bottom.
  • No active wallpapers. Bummer!
  • The news and weather widgets introduced on the Nexus One are included. Maybe certain capabilities of 2.1 are going to be restricted to devices with minimum performance benchmarks?
There's no word on timing, and for all our source knows, this build could still very well fail testing -- goodness knows it's happened with plenty of pre-production firmwares in Verizon's past. We'll keep our ear to the ground and you do the same.

OK Rocky no need for custom ROM's now!:D:up

Read carefully - it is no so clear that Motorola is including the new launcher or the live wallpaper. Of course if they don't the ported launcher would probably work with it, since it was based on 2.1 code.

Read carefully - it is no so clear that Motorola is including the new launcher or the live wallpaper. Of course if they don't the ported launcher would probably work with it, since it was based on 2.1 code.
I did see that. I honestly though you just wanted pinch to zoom.

I did see that. I honestly though you just wanted pinch to zoom.

I want the pinch to zoom, but I really want the new launcher -- five screens would be much better than 3. Widgets take up too much space.

I don't care about live wallpaper, as that would eat up battery life. But I'll be patient, and hopefully we'll have 2.1 soon.

I want the pinch to zoom, but I really want the new launcher -- five screens would be much better than 3. Widgets take up too much space.

Only 5 screens? Why would anybody want to buy a piece of garbage that will only give you 3 - 5 screens? ;) Any real phone will give you at least 7 screens. ;)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Funny. :)

We will find out how many screens sometime THIS WEEK. As Android Central is reporting that Motorola has posted on its Facebook page that the Droid 2.1 update will roll out this week!

See: Droid's 2.1 update coming this week, Motorola says on Facebook | Android Central AND Motorola Hi all-- we know you are frustrated with the lack of details regarding Android software upgrades and we sincerely apologize for not being able to share info sooner. We're happy to relay the 2.1 upgrade to DROID will start to roll out th

Sweet! And I was about to consider rooting mine. (I have a grad student who is a linux guru and he told me it would be a piece of cake!). I'll go legit for now. :)

Funny. :)

We will find out how many screens sometime THIS WEEK. As Android Central is reporting that Motorola has posted on its Facebook page that the Droid 2.1 update will roll out this week!

See: Droid's 2.1 update coming this week, Motorola says on Facebook | Android Central AND Motorola Hi all-- we know you are frustrated with the lack of details regarding Android software upgrades and we sincerely apologize for not being able to share info sooner. We're happy to relay the 2.1 upgrade to DROID will start to roll out th

Sweet! And I was about to consider rooting mine. (I have a grad student who is a linux guru and he told me it would be a piece of cake!). I'll go legit for now. :)
It is!! I don't have one yet but LOVE my LINUX and well lets just say i have helped a friend of mine with his!:D

More Moto Droid 2.1 update details

Android Central is reporting the details (supposedly straight from Motorola) of the 2.1 update for the Droid, that begins rolling out this week.

Motorola details exactly what you're getting in the Droid 2.1 update | Android Central

Voice recognition for virtual keyboard. Anywhere you can type, you can dictate. Swipe your finger across the keyboard (or press the microphone button) to activate. Same as on the Nexus One.
Virtual (on-screen) keyboard enhancements.
3D Gallery: Should be the same as the new gallery that's on the Nexus One, and that's been ported to the Droid.
Pinch to zoom: Already on board for Google Maps, now you'll have it in the browser and gallery.
News and weather widget/app. That's the widget from the Nexus One that we get questions about in our videos.
Previously published Google Maps 4.0 improvements.
Enhanced Music application. New tabs at the top for easier access an navigation to artists, songs, albums and playlists.
Google Goggles: Now built into Android 2.1. No separate downloads.
Fixes the security lock bypass.
Yahoo e-mail now has setup optimization.
Battery life improved.

The one thing missing is the launcher app that is in 2.1 via the Nexus. For me that is the biggest thing I was looking for other than pinch and zoom multi-touch. And I am a bit surprised it is missing Flash.

But there is a ported version from the Nexus, so I will probably go with it for the launcher.

And I was about to consider rooting mine. (I have a grad student who is a linux guru and he told me it would be a piece of cake!).
Does he have experience exploiting phones, i.e. rooting, or just following a guide on how to do it ? I used to be a Linux user (not quite a guru, but was pretty comfortable and good with it) and would never even try to figure out an exploit. I'd run a tool that would do it for me though !! Waiting on people to root the HTC Eris right now...

Pinch to zoom: Already on board for Google Maps, now you'll have it in the browser and gallery.

I have been trying to find an app to do this, because I HATE the way you have to do it now.

Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser...
Being new to Android, what kind of UI changes are typically seen going from 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 to 2.1 ? I would think that 1.5 and 1.6 look the same and a UI change came along with 2.0. Going from 2.0 to 2.1, I wouldn't expect much. Really only under-the-hood changes...

Live wallpapers, as rocky said, has to be a battery-killer. My phone is in my pocket most of the time so I wouldn't see them anyway ! Do people just stare in awe at their phones !?!? :D

From my understanding you can get the .apk for the launcher right mike? so If I update my droid with 2.1 then get the .apk for the launcher I will have the whole nexus one update? (other then live wallpapers, which whoooo carrreeeesss_

From my understanding you can get the .apk for the launcher right mike? so If I update my droid with 2.1 then get the .apk for the launcher I will have the whole nexus one update? (other then live wallpapers, which whoooo carrreeeesss_

There are reports that there are sometimes forced closes when running the 2.1 launcher on the 2.01 Droid, but once we have the 2.1 OS, I will install the .apk file for it from droid-life.com.

I also could care less about live wallpaper.

BUT I would wait on installing any 2.1 ported apps until the actual 2.1 updates. I already uninstalled the 2.1 apps I had installed (the gallery and news/weather widget). If it does not work the way I want it to, I'll have my grad student help me root it. :)

I merged the threads. I must have had brain flatus, in that I forgot we already had a thread on this from the other day when I created today's thread. :)

Being new to Android, what kind of UI changes are typically seen going from 1.5 to 1.6 to 2.0 to 2.1 ? I would think that 1.5 and 1.6 look the same and a UI change came along with 2.0. Going from 2.0 to 2.1, I wouldn't expect much. Really only under-the-hood changes...

Live wallpapers, as rocky said, has to be a battery-killer. My phone is in my pocket most of the time so I wouldn't see them anyway ! Do people just stare in awe at their phones !?!? :D

first. yes.. I stare at my phone. :D (Actually, when I am at work, it is in the multimedia dock, so it is in front of me. :) But I am not usually in awe of it. ;) )

I don't know about 1.5 or 1.6 since I started with 2.0, but when it went to 2.01, they changed the unlock screen, from a semi-circular rotary phone style swipe to a straight swipe; and there were minor tweaks to the way the application dock worked. And a font change in the clock - but all pretty minor.

2.1 with the new launcher changes things even more, but it does not look like Motorola Droid will get that launcher yet. If you have seen video clips of the Nexus' launcher, its pretty different.

Anyone get it yet?

No reports of it on any of the usual suspect sites. I would be surprised if it comes out this week, after Moto pulled the info from their facebook page.

The "buzz" in the forums is that maybe Moto is caving to the widespread complaints about 2.1 not including the 2.1 launcher. That said, I suspect that is just speculation.
And just as likely of the rumors that 2.1 was bricking phones and Verizon forced them to cancel the update.

No reports of it on any of the usual suspect sites. I would be surprised if it comes out this week, after Moto pulled the info from their facebook page.

The "buzz" in the forums is that maybe Moto is caving to the widespread complaints about 2.1 not including the 2.1 launcher. That said, I suspect that is just speculation.
And just as likely of the rumors that 2.1 was bricking phones and Verizon forced them to cancel the update.
Wow i hope they are not bricking phones. I heard the Motorola Cliq was getting their update in march. I really feel sorry for them they are still stuck on 1.5!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)