Motorola Droid's next update to be Android 2.1, includes multitouch browser

Wow i hope they are not bricking phones. I heard the Motorola Cliq was getting their update in march. I really feel sorry for them they are still stuck on 1.5!

I don't think they are... just classic internet rumors. :)

BTW, I installed the 2.1 port of the new launcher - I wanted to see what it looked like. I like the 5 screens, and the tools to bring up any of the five screens easily. The 3D app launcher, instead of the current bar, is ok. I could probably live without it. But the ported versions app bar only works in landscape if the keyboard is extended, and even then the 3D aspect is gone.

Probably a quirk of running it on 2.0.1 software.

you will see a total different version in OTA.youll know its real when you see live wallpapers. ere25 and ere29 do not have that.but they are sure fun to play with.
the new f/w wont be ere either. its going t obe a whole new build.
theres lot of talk of making 2.1 so difficult to root that many people wont bother with rooting the droid anymore. but some will do it to show it can be done of course.

That is from bill23 a very well respected motorola guy on howardforums....he says live wallpapers will be included and rooting will be VERY hard from here on out.

making 2.1 so difficult to root that many people wont bother with rooting the droid anymore. but some will do it to show it can be done of course. That is right!:D

My 2cents-Im new to android world and If I get somethings wrong, let me know...still learning all of this stuff....

I rooted my moto droid (for free), it took about 20 min and its pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions there plenty of chat forums and screen shots to reference online. I now have 5 screens, live wallpapers, multi touch browser, hd video, the ability to tether(wireless) etc etc. I can also overclock to 1.2 ghz which is just as fast the Nexus One (i think). PLUS Nexus One is only available through T-mobile or Google, so for those that have Verizon, will have wait for the CDMA version to be released and it still MAY only be available through Google...your customer support will only be email, phone and snail mail. ( just a thought)

Im not saying anything bad about the Nexus, I like it and would really think about getting it if i came to Verizon just for the design. I NEVER use the slide keyboard on my Droid, IMO its useless. But like I said in the beginning this is just my 2cents.

My 2cents-Im new to android world and If I get somethings wrong, let me know...still learning all of this stuff....

I rooted my moto droid (for free), it took about 20 min and its pretty self explanatory. If you have any questions there plenty of chat forums and screen shots to reference online. I now have 5 screens, live wallpapers, multi touch browser, hd video, the ability to tether(wireless) etc etc. I can also overclock to 1.2 ghz which is just as fast the Nexus One (i think). PLUS Nexus One is only available through T-mobile or Google, so for those that have Verizon, will have wait for the CDMA version to be released and it still MAY only be available through Google...your customer support will only be email, phone and snail mail. ( just a thought)

Im not saying anything bad about the Nexus, I like it and would really think about getting it if i came to Verizon just for the design. I NEVER use the slide keyboard on my Droid, IMO its useless. But like I said in the beginning this is just my 2cents.

great first post...welcome to satelliteguys :) I think the only thing to remember is the droid was not made to handle 1.2 ghz for every phone, so while some can handle it (like yours) others are bricking and you are also building up alot of heat and we really dont know what it does to the life expectancy...whereas the nexus one is made to handle those requirements 100% out of the box.

Thanks, good to be here..looking forward to learning some stuff lol

Luckily, there is an app out there that monitors the battery temp and you can set it up to control the speed based on battery temp to avoid over temp, which is GOOOOD thing!

Like you mentioned about the Nexus being able to run like that out of the box, that is one of the major plus' to the phone and why I would really think about getting it.

What did you do with it or modify in it's rooted state ?

I installed a bugless beast 2.1 rom on it...I bumped up the cpu also with the bugless beast. But my facebook widget didnt work, my twitter widget didnt work, and going 0-2 on programs I use I went back to stock.

There are several roms you could have chosen from, but I have not bothered with any. I am happy enough with how the droid is working, while waiting for 2.1 and Flash.

But glad you are back in the droid world James!

There's a leaked 2.1 ROM (not a 3rd-party, but supposedly from HTC) available for the Eris. I've downloaded it, have the instructions, but haven't got the courage just yet... :)

heres the straight .sbf file of the 2.1 with the 3d launcher and LIVE wallpapers...this is the actual flash not a nandroid backup and yes it will root your phone if you are unrooted! I am going to give this one a go as it seems to be the most official version there is!

edit: NO 3d launcher in this, same 2.0.1 launcher...getting ready to flash then I have to take off, will fill you guys in tonight on how it is doing!

Is this the 3d launcher that was ported from the Nexus? I had been running that, and it was quite quirky.

I thought I had read on either droid life or android central that the actual 2.1 for moto droid will not include the 3d clauncher, but will come with the option for 3, 5, 7, or 9 home screens. I am patiently waiting. Everything is working great right now, and I don't see a compelling reason to root.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts