Motorola i1 and Sling

BigFella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
Just North of LA
Sling doesn't officially support the new Motorola i1, but does anyone know if it will work with it? Sling says the new Sling app for Android works with v1.5 and above. I believe the i1 will be 1.5 or 1.6. Thanks...

No, but it's a nice to have. I was looking at the i1 mainly because it's the first (and only so far) Android phone out there that doesn't require a contract.

The thing that would worry me is that it only has android 1.5. Seems like it would at least have 2.1 since it is a new phone. The internal memory on that device seems low as well. Yes it has no contract, but it is a very lacking android device in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm just trying to economize where I can while keeping as many bells and whistles as possible. I think the phone will take a 32MB SD card but I may be confusing it with one of the bazillion other phones I've been investigating.

I was more thinking the internal memory. If I read right it only has 260MB of internal memory instead of the 512MB that most others have. This will just limit you on how many applications you will be able to load onto the phone.

I was more thinking the internal memory. If I read right it only has 260MB of internal memory instead of the 512MB that most others have. This will just limit you on how many applications you will be able to load onto the phone.

Gotcha - I didn't even think about that. One more thing to consider, but lack of Sling would be the deal breaker.

If you don't want to be locked into a contract, I would start looking on CraigsList for an HTC Hero. You can get one used in very very good condition for just a little bit more that the i1. This one will do Sling with no issues and is already upgraded to 2.1. This phone will get you more life than the i1 in my opinion.

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it. Do you know if that phone will work with Sprint?

I have the HTC Hero on Sprint. It is a really nice phone. The only other phone on Sprint that I would switch it for is the HTC EVO.

I'd like to stick with Sprint because their family plan would be the cheapest for us. I'm REALLY tempted by the EVO but I'm trying to be good, and that's why I was asking about the i1. Perhaps the Hero would be a good compromise between the two. Thanks again for your advice. I haven't shopped for a phone for several years, so I'm just trying to get updated on all of these new fangled features and phones.

There is one huge glaring problem with the i1 .....

It bleeping iden for crying out loud. Hence why sling does not support it. iden has no real data speed behind it and W-iden towers were turn off years ago to make more room for iden calls. if sprint / moto had any idea what they were doing they would of kept iden radio/ and stuck a rev a evdo radio in for data . Or made them like the other hybrids cdma/evdo for calls and data and iden for PTT.

Basically sling does not want you to try and push video over a less then 56k connection .

otherwise it should work just fine with wifi . I seen reports of the i1 being pretty rootable ... root it and stick apps2sd and get a nice 8 gig micro sd card and your set.

Thanks for the reply Stone, but you lost me with some of the jargon (as I mentioned, most of this is new to me). What do you mean by "rootable" and "apps2sd"?

rootable = Being able to obtain root access (Unix term for super user) to the device. This allows you to install non supported apps that normal android users can not access. It also means that you can replace it with a newer image of Android if some 3rd party developers

apps2sd = Program that stores the Android application on your SD card instead of the internal memory. This app requires a phone that has root access to it.

Thanks Jag!

So, apps2sd addresses the issue that you brought up earlier re: the 256meg of internal memory the phone has? Does this equate to RAM?

"rootable" = something I shouldn't mess with...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts