Motorola is ending the search for a buyer for its set top box unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Motorola is ending the search for a buyer for its set top box and networking business, because it cannot find anyone willing to pay enough for the unit.

Yet another indication that they think too highly of themselves. Such arrogance and poor business decisions have made them the company they are today.....:rolleyes: I'm sure someone would take the reins (or at least the DCII license) if offered for a reasonable price.
Apparently someone failed to circulate the memo that they MUST share the marketplace. Something big M has never been very good at.

Sounds like apple computers with their death grip style control over their products and inflated prices.

Apple got products that people want and love. :D

I am an Apple convert. I wish I have done that way earlier. Would have saved me a lot of hair on my head from the headaches with Windows and how slow it is.

Apple got products that people want and love. :D

I am an Apple convert. I wish I have done that way earlier. Would have saved me a lot of hair on my head from the headaches with Windows and how slow it is.

I prefer Linux. :p

I had apple computers for a long time but my next computers is gonna be a windows mahine running linux probably.
Because the reason I bought apple is because u could go with their computers for a long time you could just buy a new processor drop it in and you're good to go.
But now they,ve gone like windows.
They changed thy're cpus from Motorola to Intel just like the pc's so people throw away their macs and go RUN and buy a new one.
PLus they made their new iPOds USB 2.0 ONLY so if you have an older computer THROW IT AWAY AND RUN TO BUY A NEW ONE.
I have an Apple G5 with dual 2.0ghz and and I can't find any software for this thing because every new apple software only works on Intel chips.
So I need to throw it away and go buy their i MAC that can't support ANY KIND OF UPGRADE so everytime I want to upgrade I throw it away and buy the next newer one

I had apple computers for a long time but my next computers is gonna be a windows mahine running linux probably.
Because the reason I bought apple is because u could go with their computers for a long time you could just buy a new processor drop it in and you're good to go.
They changed thy're cpus from Motorola to Intel just like the pc's so people throw away their macs and go RUN and buy a new one.
PLus they made their new iPOds USB 2.0 ONLY so if you have an older computer THROW IT AWAY AND RUN TO BUY A NEW ONE.
I have an Apple G5 with dual 2.0ghz and and I can't find any software for this thing because every new apple software only works on Intel chips.
So I need to throw it away and go buy their i MAC that can't support ANY KIND OF UPGRADE so everytime I want to upgrade I throw it away and buy the next newer one

There are Linux distro's that will run on that old Moto proc :)

Echostar should buy them... That would give them the in they need in the cable world, and it will allow them to bring their Slingloaded technology into millions of homes.

Echostar should buy them... That would give them the in they need in the cable world, and it will allow them to bring their Slingloaded technology into millions of homes.

If Echostar bought them the first thing Charlie would do is kill the 4DTV for good. Not good for c band subscribers. :( Better someone else not related to mini dishes get them.

If Echostar bought them the first thing Charlie would do is kill the 4DTV for good. Not good for c band subscribers. :( Better someone else not related to mini dishes get them.
Motorola did a good enough job of killing 4DTV themselves without Charlies help.

Motorola did a good enough job of killing 4DTV themselves without Charlies help.

I agree Scott, but Charlie used all kind of dirty tricks on c band subscribers to get them over to dish network, when he bought out Superstar, Netlink, & Turnervision. That by itself probably took away 60% of the subscribers. If he acquired the STB division it's all over for us I would think. Why would he keep us around? We need someone like Cisco that would be receptive to us.

EXACTLY!

Unless we could convince charlie that CBand would be a good investment. He has cband roots. Couldn't be too hard, especially if we could get Scott to lobby for us. :D :)

Yeah, the good investment part (for Dish) would be to buy up the competition (in this case a superior PQ + lower priced, PITA to him service) and shut it down.
Dare I mention VOOM, TIVO copyright infringement, alleged complicity in NDS CAM reverse engineering (although that sword cuts two ways) and I'd love to look him in the eye and ask him if an 010 board means anything to him..........

Yes good very investment..............

Yes Scott, your are correct Big M has abandoned the consumer DCII users, or more accurately has neglected us like the proverbial red headed step child because we are an insignifcant market share in the grand scheme of things.

I'd have to say Motorola is thinking with a forked brain. One side see the consumer C band division as old, archaic and not "with it" compared to the new tech of today. The other side will not give up it's control over it's intelectual property, typical Motorola mentality. Both trains of thought are in direct conflict business wise, and equally detrimental to the survival of the 4DTV/DCII service.

Yeah, the good investment part (for Dish) would be to buy up the competition (in this case a superior PQ + lower priced, PITA to him service) and shut it down.
Dare I mention VOOM, TIVO copyright infringement, alleged complicity in NDS CAM reverse engineering (although that sword cuts two ways) and I'd love to look him in the eye and ask him if an 010 board means anything to him..........

Yes good very investment..............

Very good points. Charlie plays dirty pool to get what he wants. Including his hand in Piracy with the VC-2. Why... for a buck and to kill off the competition.

Yes Scott, your are correct Big M has abandoned the consumer DCII users, or more accurately has neglected us like the proverbial red headed step child because we are an insignifcant market share in the grand scheme of things.

I'd have to say Motorola is thinking with a forked brain. One side see the consumer C band division as old, archaic and not "with it" compared to the new tech of today. The other side will not give up it's control over it's intelectual property, typical Motorola mentality. Both trains of thought are in direct conflict business wise, and equally detrimental to the survival of the 4DTV/DCII service.
Motorola is a screwup for sure, too bad GI still didn't own the STB division. I would have to bet the DSR 924 would have been made. Wonder if Motorola has any prototype papers in their possession for that proposed receiver?

Last edited:
If I understand it correctly the Starchoice series DSRs are the next evolution of the 4DTV IRDs but only for the Starchoice system. I would think that having Shaw make a bid to adopt it's stateside cousins would make the most sense. The IRDs should be similar enough to adapt to the US side of DCII and there is no direct conflict so no need to snuff out the service. They could draft the same (or better) arrangement with US DCII content providers as NPS et al, and let Mike peddle his pizza pans unburdened by the stigma of C band.:rolleyes:
They have or have access to an equivalant to the ACC for their services..........

4DTV has been fending for itself for so long that outside of potential warranty issues for the new IRDs, supportwise we shouldnt be a lot of trouble.

I wonder if it has even been seriously considered................

The only way something could happen for our benefit is all the cards would have to fall into place. Someone would have to take a chance on us. I don't think the problem is something couldn't get built it's currently Motorola don't want to deal with a small change job. They are so arrogant and greedy that if you don't give them a megabuck job they don't want to do business with you. If a more friendly company could buy or take over the 4DTV division I think something would be done. If Motorola don't want to deal with us why don't the license the technology to a third party to make the boxes for us?

Years ago I subbed with Netlink. They tried so hard to get me to switch and went so far as to call me to tell me I could keep losing channels if I didn't switch as a scare tactic. Back then Dish only had about 30 channels as it was. :confused: I bet many C banders fell for it.

This is one of the reasons I feel NPS aka All American Direct is too close to Charlie E. They look to sell whatever they can while on the phone with them.

Computer is a computer. I use both Windoze and crApple in my line of work.

My newest puter is an custom built unit that has 3 OSs (Win/Linux/Hackintosh)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)