Mounting a fixed dish on a motorized dish mast

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
FL/TN
Somewhere I saw a picture showing how someone did this but I cant find it. I am interested in how a fixed dish mast was mechanically attached to the motorized mast below. Each mast were of different diameters. I seem to remember some store bought brackets were used to accomplish the task. Can anyone recall where it was or offer any suggestions.

Thanks

The only thing I can imagine is a fairly tall pole that has the fixed dish mounted at the top, and a motorized dish below.

Any motor I've ever seen has removable clamp that grips the pole. Open that clamp and close it around the mast and you have a mounted motor below a fixed dish.

As for two different size poles, just use an adapter that goes from one size to another. Hardware stores would have them. You would have to make sure it was securely attached - either welded or bolted.

The only thing I can imagine is a fairly tall pole that has the fixed dish mounted at the top, and a motorized dish below.

Any motor I've ever seen has removable clamp that grips the pole. Open that clamp and close it around the mast and you have a mounted motor below a fixed dish.

As for two different size poles, just use an adapter that goes from one size to another. Hardware stores would have them. You would have to make sure it was securely attached - either welded or bolted.

Thanks.
I have looked for adapters with no luck so I was thinking I could clamp a short smaller diameter fixed mast for a fixed small dish (20") to a larger motorized dish mast. The attachment point would be below the motor and the fixed dish mast would go up and past to the side or behind the motor. I know I saw a picture somewhere, I didnt save the location. :(

Well i had posted this picture a long time ago. However I cant find it now. The hardware was all new then. Now its rusty after a year or two. It was accomplished by two different size muffler clamps and a piece of flat steel. It is not on a motorized pole, but dont see how that would matter. This adapted
a 1 5/8 to a 2 3/8. Dont know if this was the picture your looking for or not.

Attachments

• DSCF0031.JPG
    DSCF0031.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 212
Well i had posted this picture a long time ago. However I cant find it now. The hardware was all new then. Now its rusty after a year or two. It was accomplished by two different size muffler clamps and a piece of flat steel. It is not on a motorized pole, but dont see how that would matter. This adapted
a 1 5/8 to a 2 3/8. Dont know if this was the picture your looking for or not.

Hmmmmmm. Interesting for sure and it might work for me with a motor above.
I'll have to check how far out the smaller mast must be, before it would pass by the motor.

Thanks

Those are two separate conduit clamps bolted together (different sizes), they are holding an attached 1 5/8" pole for my OTA antenna :)
Sounds good for something very light weight.
I wouldn't imagine putting much of a dish on the secondary pole, but maybe a little DBS one might work.
Darned clever these members! :)

Sounds good for something very light weight.
I wouldn't imagine putting much of a dish on the secondary pole, but maybe a little DBS one might work.
Darned clever these members! :)

I think it will work well for a single LNBF 18" pointed at 119°W. Even Dish 500 might not be too bad. Especially if you're not in a real windy area, or your dish is shielded.

Good point on the weight issue. My OTA antenna is a small Winegard Square Shooter, which doesn't offer a whole lot of wind resistance or weight. I'm not sure how well it would work if it were something as large and heavy as a typical FTA dish though... Also, keep in mind that my install is all on an NPRM and up on my shed roof.

I think it will work well for a single LNBF 18" pointed at 119°W. Even Dish 500 might not be too bad. Especially if you're not in a real windy area, or your dish is shielded.

Limited LOS issues here dictate a small array of this nature. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)