Status
Please reply by conversation.

thiggin2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 28, 2004
TampaBay Florida
I'm thinking about getting a Fortec Star FS6D dish and a H180 motor from Sadoun. I know they say you can mount the motor to the dish if you use 2 peices of angle iron. The picture they have on there site doesn't show much detail. My question is does anyone have any better details when it comes to adding the angle iron to the dish. I just dont want to put it on wrong and spend forever trying to align the dish.
Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing for some time now. I guess everyone is waiting for someone to take the leap and test one of these things. I already have the dish and using the BSC-621 and this motor for C & KU on one dish sure sounds appealing. I'm not sure I have the skills needed to be the first beta tester though.

I too wanted to use this motor drive on my Channel Master 1.8m dish. However, it only supports up to 59 pounds and my dish weighs a whopping 81 pounds.

I have one of these dishes I have experimented with. It has a rather unique circular mounting base. It appears mostly designed for fixed mounting. When I use it, I have it bolted to a wood pallet with concrete blocks. This thing tips over easily when setting up. Best to have help. I was looking into converting mine to a polar style mount with salvage parts from another old dish. As far as quality,these are great for the money and affordable to ship.

I'd really hate to spend $400 on this setup and not know for sure how to do it. I remember reading the forums over at Sadoun and they were suppose to post the instuctions with better pics on how to do it but I haven't seen them yet. They have a pic and say it can be done so I'm guessing they have done it but just have given any details. I have e-mailed them but there alittle slow on the replay, so hopefully they will replay with what I need :) .

I wish I was a better fabricator, but I would hate to spend $150 for a dish and it turns out to be a birdbath after I mess it up :D . I'm a "plug n play" type of guy :) .

ill try to help out the best i can.I to bought this dish and motor and C/KUband Feedhorn.I installed it on a 6foot pole Plumb.Alone to.I bought the angle iron and drilled a few holes on the ring where there wasn't any and bolted them to it.Then installed the motor.Ive set the dish up but have only gotten a few sat so far with it.Going to keep trying.The instuction leave nothing to be desired for the motor setup so good luck.The system seems to be pretty well made for the money tho.Disregarding there stand.Oh i put 3 feet in the ground 3 ft above.Ill take some picture its easyier for me to understand with pictures.Ill send them shortley.http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m49/ski5010/

Last edited:
great pix !

Oh, geez!
Is that all it takes?
Someone was really thinking.

Anyone who can't fabricate that should go take a remedial shop class!
A hack saw, drill, and a few bolts, and ya could do your first one in an hour or two.
The second time ya did one, it'd take what? about 15 minutes? :)

I was expecting a far more involved design and fab job.
I was envisioning 1x1 aluminum extruded "L"
This pre-drilled steel might be a little heavier, but real easy to work with.

Jagee - how long did it take you to make yours?
Your fabrication seems fine, and has nothing to do with alignment troubles.
Keep at it, and you'll make good progress.

edit:
Oh, just looked more closely at the great pix.
Is that 4..6 inch screw on top of the motor bracket the adjustment for declination?
How easy it it to get to and adjust?

Last edited:
Hpe i didn't interfer with someone else site,I didn't know there were more then one forum for the same forums.Sorry thought i was helping out.How many site do you own or run

two, Two, TWO times the fun!

Hpe i didn't interfer with someone else site,I didn't know there were more then one forum for the same forums.Sorry thought i was helping out.How many site do you own or run
Sadoun has his own satellite hardware business, and is a gold sponsor / supporter / advertizer here at SatGuys.

He has his own support forum, too:
I just read the 1-page of that thread, and must say, it's got top-notch minds giving answers!
Getting the dish up 'n running , just based on that thread, should be a breeze.
And I haven't even looked at the pictures, yet!
Hardly any reason to comment further, here.
(well, except it shows why the term "declination" should be used for only one thing and not two)
(okay, two things: the forum date is wrong) ;)

Well done! :up

Thanks to all for the reports on this dish/motor combo!

I am not getting the SQ that the guy on Sadoun's forum is with my 6 foot stationary (75-80 on the nets). I wonder what he gets on the KU side with the 621? Great idea he had to reuse the old tubing from the ground mount too.

My dish tipped over when I was moving it to my new home a few days ago (causing minor damage) so I am not as confident that it would be worth motorizing now, although I seem to get the same signal strength.

Yea, thanks for the replies and pics/links :up . Now that I got more info and better pics it looks easier then I was thinking it might be.
Now I think I will order what I need and give it a shot :) .

Well just ordered my C-Band system from Sadoun.
-FS6D dish
-BSC621-2 LNBF
-Mercury II receiver (thanks Jamal for catching my mistake :) )
-H180 motor
-VBox II positioner

I will hopefully get it together next week and let you know how it went and supply a few pics of the dish/motor combo :) .

thiggin2 when you get your dish would you look inside your lnbf and tell me if that needle is almost thank you.straight or is it curved.Im thinking mine might be bent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts