Status
Please reply by conversation.

iammike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Roanoke,VA
Hey guys,

I just moved and am trying to sell my old house. My BUD moved with me of course, but the pole it was mounted on is very firmly planted in the back yard of the old place. I'm going to put a birdhouse on top of it, and was wondering if any of you had suggestions for how to mount it. My general thinking is to use some tapcons (cement anchors) into the top of my cement filled pole to hold down the birdhouse. Does anyone know of an easier method? The pole is made out of schedule 80 steel so it's probably going to be easier to drill into the concrete inside the pole than it is the pole itself.

Thanks,
Mike

Seems like a clamp around the pole would beat having to drill into the pole. Maybe a U bolt and some angle iron bracket to attach to the bottom of the bird house. Or something that slips over the pole with a set screw.

I agree with WRDAVIS that a simple clamp is the best idea.

That makes it easier if the new owner wants a place for his BUD. For a SatelliteGuy, it might help seal the deal. :rolleyes:

I am inspired by Iceberg and his penchant for hose clamps. - :up

Why not mount three "L-brackets" to the bottom of your birdhouse?
They would be arranged in a circle and the down-pointing legs would encircle the pole.
Add a big radiator hose clamp, and you've got a secure but easily removable pole-topper. - :D

I am going to have iceberg give each one of you a three day ban...

The obvious answer is.....

DUCT TAPE!

I am going to have iceberg give each one of you a three day ban...

The obvious answer is.....

DUCT TAPE!

Hmmmm . . . . . I'm not sure that potential buyers of my house will see duct tape as the selling feature that you do Stogie. I think I'll stick with Anole's plan for now, and keep the duct tape option as plan B in case I have trouble selling the place. :)

Here's what you could accomplish with a bit of effort.

Attachments

• scoutingpost.jpg
    scoutingpost.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 216
hammer drill the concrete in the top and put in some plastic anchors. 1/4" size and some number 10 screws should do it. should be pretty easy and clean looking.

Get some Twine rope and wrap it around the pole and use a glue gun to keep the rope in place. This way the pole will look a little more presentable to the prospective buyers and they won't realize what a pain its going to be to remove the pole from the ground.

Just saw all the new ideas. Some I categorize as good, some . . . . well let's just put them into an "other" category. :)

Thanks to all who have put in their 2 cents. Helpful or amusing, all are appreciated. I put the birdhouse up today and used Anole's idea. I also picked up a can of the same spray paint I used to paint the pole originally and painted the brackets and hose clamp. It's not exactly a work of art, but at least it looks like it was planned that way. No where near as beautiful as if there were a 10 foot BUD up there, but it should be good enough. Now I need to start planning on where I'm going to plant the BUD at the new place and get to work on my new dish farm. :D

I win? And I didn't even prepare an acceptance speech!

I put the birdhouse up today and used Anole's idea.
I also picked up a can of the same spray paint I used to paint the pole originally and painted the brackets and hose clamp.
On behalf of Iceberg-followers everywhere I must protest the painting of the beautiful stainless hose clamp! - :rant:
You really must post us a picture!

All joking aside, I was going to compliment the PVC pipe flange idea, Cadsulfide came up with.
Attach it to the pipe with a little silicon caulking, and it should hold tight.

As a modification of Gabshere's idea, what about screwing four cup-hooks into the bottom of the birdhouse?
One at each corner.
From those, you could hang a wind chime, or a hummingbird feeder, or other items that suit your sensibilities. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)