Mounting Direct TV Dish on long pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pseudopod56

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Does anyone have experience mounting a direct tv dish on say a 50 foot pole? (there is another building and trees blocking the south) My apt. won't let me drill or perminantly attach a dish, but it seems by law I can have a pole as long as it is 12' below roof line, and within my patio area (2 story townhouse).

I also wonder if screws are considered perminant, If not it seems I could just attach a 12' pole to the eves of the roof rather than a large flag like pole.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend you do that, but I'm sure 10 people will tell you that is a good idea.

They wont allow a dish yet you are allowed to mount a 12' pole (to the eave) ???
Dont you have a balcony or something where you can set something up ?

There are options other than (Permanently mounting)

My wife was against a dish up on the roof, so I cemented down a 4ft fence pole in the corner of the yard and mounted the dish to that... there's a little bush in front, so it's hidden nicely.

One suggestion, I wouldn't go much longer than that... unless your using some sort of guy wires to bolster it, a dish on a long pole is going to act like a sail... rocking in the wind.

One of my buddies lives in a condo complex that is pretty strict about anything permanent. What he did is similar to my setup. He got a big (2 ft diameter maybe) garden pot from the Home Depot, mounted a fence post in it by putting in a little cement, and filled the rest with mulch (to cover). The D* installer had no problems with sturdiness or anything, the install is clean and sits in the corner of his patio.

For us, wind isn't really a problem because the dish isn't more that 2-3 feet off the ground...

--rob

Well, After viewing my area, I don't think the 12 foot pole on the roof would help, as the trees go up another 20 feet higher than that on my roof. There is an area across the way that is clear of branches about 30x40 feet that I am wondering if the signal could get through. I am pretty sure we can screw bolts into the patio, just not the main building. I was thinking of raising it to the level that it could get a signal with the 46 degree angle needed. Will this be enough room? I am confused as to how much open space is needed. Here is a digram of my situation:

Attachments

• dish_diagram.gif
    dish_diagram.gif
    6 KB · Views: 947
http://www.bjup.com/services/bjhomesat/tech_support/obstacle.html

This may help you in determining your location.
At least to clarify the missing of the trees and the other apt. bulding.
You need to check your co ordinates carefully for the system you intend to use in your zip code.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The link above is concerning the installed height of youre dish ...and not ground level.

Try it on the patio

we do a lot of RVing we have had our dish 2 feet of the ground on our stand
between two 11 foot high Motorhomes 10 feet apart.
and still had about a 85%
we was locked to the sat before the other motorhome pulled in but did not lose it
try it see if you can get a lock
bob AZ

Thanks,

I guess I will find out Friday when we put it in. I have heard conflicting reports so I was trying to think of other options. I will keep my fingers crossed.

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts