After new satelites go live?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
When D* starts sending the HD local feeds will they be sending all the channels that will be available? For example, the PBS channel in Sacramento has 6.1,6.2, 6.3 and 6.4. Will they be sending all 4 or just the main one? Or does anyone know?

Smthkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
ATLANTA
They will only send the main HD feeds first. they will not consider the sub channels until a later time in the future, if at all according to D*.

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Smthkd said:
They will only send the main HD feeds first. they will not consider the sub channels until a later time in the future, if at all according to D*.

If that is true then forget about HD locals in many areas. The affiliates will not budge from this issue with many cable companies and I dont see it being any different with D*. But I think you are mistaken.:confused: I think D* has caculated 19.3 mbps Mpeg2 for each station and they dont care how its divided among sub channels. Then I suppose they convert it to Mpeg4?

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
vurbano said:
If that is true then forget about HD locals in many areas. The affiliates will not budge from this issue with many cable companies and I dont see it being any different with D*. But I think you are mistaken.:confused: I think D* has caculated 19.3 mbps Mpeg2 for each station and they dont care how its divided among sub channels. Then I suppose they convert it to Mpeg4?

From what I hear D* will carry the subchannels of networks that do broadcast HDTV even if not full HDTV. For example in my area WFLA (local NBC station) has 8-1(HDTV), 8-2(Digital) and 8-3(weather map) and from what I hear D* will carry all three of those channels maybe not at first but they will carry them. Now when D* says they won't offer channels that aren't HDTV they are talking about a channel like WMOR32 in my area that only has one DT channel and they don't do HDTV at all. Also WUSF in my area has 4 subchannels that are all digital not one being HDTV and that means that WUSF won't be offering on D*. Also WEDU in my area (PBS station) has four subchannels with one of them being an HDTV subchannel so that means that D* would carry all the subchannels for this station.

I hope this gives you an idea of their plans and that they do plan to carry subchannels as long as their from a network that has one HDTV feed as part of those subchannels.

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Again Ill state that I dont think it will fly in some DMA's. I wouldnt be surprised if some affiliates demand All subchannels to be carried now with the HD channel not later. All or nothing and all at the same time. Yes they are that big of A$$holes here.

minorthr

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2004
earth
vurbano said:
Again Ill state that I dont think it will fly in some DMA's. I wouldnt be surprised if some affiliates demand All subchannels to be carried now with the HD channel not later. All or nothing and all at the same time. Yes they are that big of A$$holes here.

Didn't the fcc recently rule that you can not be required to carry multi-cast channels in order to get the main station. For instance say you local NBC has the HD, weather, and then another Digital nonhd channel. D* would only have to carry the HD channel and can not be forced to carry all of them.

steverobertson

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 23, 2004
Longhorn,

Any word on whether the RSN's will be rolled out as well? If they choose not to add them in then between this and the ST fiasco D* may in fact loose another customer.

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
minorthr said:
Didn't the fcc recently rule that you can not be required to carry multi-cast channels in order to get the main station. For instance say you local NBC has the HD, weather, and then another Digital nonhd channel. D* would only have to carry the HD channel and can not be forced to carry all of them.
Thats correct, the NAB lost the multicasting fight vs cable, BUT, there is no legislation saying that the affiliates must give or sell cable or Sat ANY local HD stations. Maybe when the analog is shut off but thats a long way away. As of today the affiliates still hold the upper hand.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts