Mounting on top of a roof

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
i normally mount dishes on the wall or chimney wherever possible, but at this location im forced to mount a dish on top of a roof and looking for suggestions.

the roof is fairly steep (not flat in any areas) but im able to get up there and walk, its only a bungalow so its not high.

im trying to mount a 1.2m motorized dish so i need a post that will be very strong and stable, any suggestions on how to go about this?

it will be mounted above a garage so i have easy access to the roof underneath if needed for any reason.

why would you need to mount it on top of a roof? line of site issues?

a dish that big on top of a roof might have troubles if it gets windy

why would you need to mount it on top of a roof? line of site issues?

a dish that big on top of a roof might have troubles if it gets windy

yes line of sight issues, and i realize wind will be a problem, thats why i said the post needs to be strong and sturdy, thats why i dont want to use the crappy dish manufactured mounting post

If at all possible, mount it on the eave looking OVER the roof. The look angle should see over the roof and you can point it from a ladder, rather than standing on the roof. A pair of struts to stabilize it will help bunches, and will also make it easier to get plumb, a must for a motorized rig.

i normally mount dishes on the wall or chimney wherever possible, but at this location im forced to mount a dish on top of a roof and looking for suggestions.

the roof is fairly steep (not flat in any areas) but im able to get up there and walk, its only a bungalow so its not high.

im trying to mount a 1.2m motorized dish so i need a post that will be very strong and stable, any suggestions on how to go about this?

it will be mounted above a garage so i have easy access to the roof underneath if needed for any reason.

Hi, if the edge of the roof that you want to mount near faces south then consider using the stand off pipe mount. It is simply a long pipe stuck in concrete at the bottom and running just outside of the roof edge and mounted to the wall just under the roof using angle steel. This simple design is very strong and stable and can be scaled to work with just about any size dish. I have my 10 foot BUD mounted this way.

You may also be able to get it to work if the roof edge faces west or east but you would need to check LOS over the roof.

For a 1.2 meter dish you might try and find some 2 3/8 inch fence post. There is a fence supply store here in central Florida that will sell the post uncut at 20 feet long. You should be able to find the same in other large cities.

I will try to take some sample pictures, DC

Edit --- here are some pictures:

Attachments

• pipemountIMGP9775.JPG
    pipemountIMGP9775.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 197
  • pipemountIMGP9776.JPG
    pipemountIMGP9776.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 196
  • pipemountIMGP9777.JPG
    pipemountIMGP9777.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 200
  • pipemountIMGP9778.JPG
    pipemountIMGP9778.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
My preferred solution for roof mounting utilizes a vent sleeve. They are typically used to weatherproof roof penetrations for sewer vents.

Here are two views of the same installation - one as seen from above the roof, and one from below:

Attachments

• Dish85cm01.JPG
    Dish85cm01.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 221
  • BelowRoofLine.JPG
    BelowRoofLine.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 224
How are roof installations done for BUD's? I see them on houses, but I don't see anyone recommending it. If it needs to be done for "line of sight" - what is the best way to do it?

On BUDs around town, I have seen really, really long poles that go into the ground, for dishes mounted up above roofs.

Otherwise you do Non Penetrating Roof Mounts (NPRM) if the roof is flat enough and able to support the weight of ballast (concrete blocks, usually) to anchor the dish.

thanks for everybodys help and suggestions, before i posted this i was thinking about doing something like "grumpy guy" posted, that seems very sturdy, i just wasnt sure of how to seal up the hole around the post where it goes through the roof, i was thinking about using a 3-4 inch electrical conduit pipe,

On BUDs around town, I have seen really, really long poles that go into the ground, for dishes mounted up above roofs.

Otherwise you do Non Penetrating Roof Mounts (NPRM) if the roof is flat enough and able to support the weight of ballast (concrete blocks, usually) to anchor the dish.

I have seen many 10' BUD's installed directly on roof's of residential houses. They appear to be installed on a pole that penetrates the peak of the roof. Do they make NPRM's for BUD's that are angled for peaks?

My preferred solution for roof mounting utilizes a vent sleeve. They are typically used to weatherproof roof penetrations for sewer vents.

Here are two views of the same installation - one as seen from above the roof, and one from below:

Hi GrumpyGuy and the group, I really like your system for mounting the dish. I see it being very useful for people that have steep roofs and a real attic with access. The use of the standard roof vent sleeve would allow roof repair and even replacement without affecting the dish alignment and the roof workers would be familiar with it. The use of the electrical fitting at the top and the running of the cable inside makes for a very clean install.

Thumbs up! DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts