Mounting problem: tall trees

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmgarvey

Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
South Jersey, US
I currently have Comcast and HATE dealing with them (many, many problems over the years), so I took advantage of a great offer with DirecTV and scheduled the install for today. The installer claims there doesn't appear to be ANY way to get a line of sight. He has requested a supervisor to come out and see if there is any way to get a line of sight from the roof.

The problem is tall trees that surround my townhome. Since it's a very tiny yard, my options are limited in terms of where I can put a dish. If I were to use a pole mount, how tall could the pole be? Does it have to be mounted in the ground, or is it possible to mount it on a pole anchored to the house?

I have never had satellite TV, so any help or suggestions at all would be appreciated. I REALLY don't want to continue to be stuck with Comcast.

are their trees all around the entire house, including the backyard?

I have a huge tree in front right where SOL would be, It took manuvering and such to get a perfect place. I have it in backyard, right where the LOS is ok enough not to have a tree or anything in front of it.

Mine was mounted into the ground with cement. I hope this helps.

I currently have Comcast and HATE dealing with them (many, many problems over the years), so I took advantage of a great offer with DirecTV and scheduled the install for today. The installer claims there doesn't appear to be ANY way to get a line of sight. He has requested a supervisor to come out and see if there is any way to get a line of sight from the roof.

The problem is tall trees that surround my townhome. Since it's a very tiny yard, my options are limited in terms of where I can put a dish. If I were to use a pole mount, how tall could the pole be? Does it have to be mounted in the ground, or is it possible to mount it on a pole anchored to the house?

I have never had satellite TV, so any help or suggestions at all would be appreciated. I REALLY don't want to continue to be stuck with Comcast.

I have a 12 ft pole imbedded 3.5 ft in the ground with no guy wires. As long as you have enough cement in the bottom, it will be fine.

A pole on the house won't make much difference. If you have tree issues, its likely the trees will continue to grow and eventually block your reception. Your pole can only be a few feet as the pole will start to sway, much less the installer doing it.

What I would suggest is find a local retailer and have them bring out a guy and check. Tell them you will definitely get it if they can find a LOS (line of site). They will be more inclined to help you and stretch the rules if its possible. The way you have described it, it looks like you are out of luck. Can you cut/trim trees? Will neighbors let you use their property?

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the trees are pretty much all around the property, front and back yard. I could possibly trim a few branches, but not do any substantial cutting, and I rather doubt it would help much. Guess I will have to see what the supervisor says.

If it's impossible with DirecTV, is it likely to be any different with Dish Network? I know they use different satellites, but my understanding is you need the same southern view for either one.

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, the trees are pretty much all around the property, front and back yard. I could possibly trim a few branches, but not do any substantial cutting, and I rather doubt it would help much. Guess I will have to see what the supervisor says.

If it's impossible with DirecTV, is it likely to be any different with Dish Network? I know they use different satellites, but my understanding is you need the same southern view for either one.

If you can't get DirecTV, then you won't be able to get Dish, especially in NJ. But again, I'd check with a reputable local retailer. The ones dispatched by DirecTV will only tell you if its possible within their tolerance. For example, if a pole on your roof or a 12' pole in the ground could get you working, there is no way they would suggest that. Sometimes an install can go in if you find someone willing to do it or willing to pay the cost.

I have a 16' pole in the ground, 30" in the ground, the pole is supported to the house at the roof line and approx 4' above the roof line.
You can use as long a pole as you may need, as long as it's supported.

He's in a townhome. Probably can't remove a dandelion without the townhouse association approval. Trimming a tree is probably out of the question.
The OP better meet with the HOA president before attempting any funky DIRECTV dish installations. Some even claim - No dishes installed on roof !!

He's in a townhome. Probably can't remove a dandelion without the townhouse association approval. Trimming a tree is probably out of the question.
The OP better meet with the HOA president before attempting any funky DIRECTV dish installations. Some even claim - No dishes installed on roof !!

They (HOA) has to deal with teh RIGHTS of the owner, which says YES he may put a dish up as long as it's 3 feet or smaller.

They (HOA) has to deal with teh RIGHTS of the owner, which says YES he may put a dish up as long as it's 3 feet or smaller.

Teh RIGHTS of the owner only say the townhouse HOA can't say NO DISHES ALLOWED, they(HOA) can get very creative with their rules and still be within the FCC law about dishes.

Teh RIGHTS of the owner only say the townhouse HOA can't say NO DISHES ALLOWED, they(HOA) can get very creative with their rules and still be within the FCC law about dishes.

Take them to court, that will change thier "better than thou attitude" ...

Therwe are many ways to make your dish acceptable, covers, painting whatnot.
Depends how bad you want it.

You can use the Dishpointer app for Iphone or Android to check your line of sight. Very easy to use. Just calibrate the compass after opening the app and look through the camera for the 99-101 sats and move it 10 degrees left and right, which is what DTV will do. Good luck. Post your results.

Couple ideas for you, considering I live in Washington and have seen some pretty interesting installs to get around infringing trees....

First off, is there any way to put your dish in front of the tree line? Like out front by the road. You can run the cable up to around 400 feet with no issues-- my mom lives in the woods so that's what we ended up doing for her... There was a clearing out by the mailbox.

You can also try multiple dishes, although this is easier with SD than HD. Back when HD was on 101/110/119, I saw a few installs with 3 dishes pointing through various cracks in the trees. Now that everything is on 99/101/103 it's a narrower window, and should be easier to get LOS.

Also the person who told you that getting Dish would be harder is wrong: they now offer Eastern Arc which in Jersey will put the satellites higher in the sky and to the SE rather than SW like D*. I do agree that if you can't get D* then there's no way you could get E's Western Arc, but the Eastern should be a different story If D* fails. In fact there is a Eastern Arc install here in Washington at a place that has tall trees to the south anD west--but clear to the east--so they have An Eastern Arc setup that points about 12* above the horizon.

Good luck!
--Nat

Here's a thought, CUT the TREE!

Couple ideas for you, considering I live in Washington and have seen some pretty interesting installs to get around infringing trees....

First off, is there any way to put your dish in front of the tree line? Like out front by the road. You can run the cable up to around 400 feet with no issues-- my mom lives in the woods so that's what we ended up doing for her... There was a clearing out by the mailbox.

You can also try multiple dishes, although this is easier with SD than HD. Back when HD was on 101/110/119, I saw a few installs with 3 dishes pointing through various cracks in the trees. Now that everything is on 99/101/103 it's a narrower window, and should be easier to get LOS.

Also the person who told you that getting Dish would be harder is wrong: they now offer Eastern Arc which in Jersey will put the satellites higher in the sky and to the SE rather than SW like D*. I do agree that if you can't get D* then there's no way you could get E's Western Arc, but the Eastern should be a different story If D* fails. In fact there is a Eastern Arc install here in Washington at a place that has tall trees to the south anD west--but clear to the east--so they have An Eastern Arc setup that points about 12* above the horizon.

Good luck!
--Nat

400 ft is NOT recommended ....

I would say 150 ft, 200 max, some have ran longer successfully but it's a case of losing your signal when you get much longer than that, unless you move up to RG11 and then theres the same issue once you go far enough.

there is near 0 chance a d* Tech is going to be able to get RG7 let alone 11. and dont forget that now everything is done swm install, 1 line, so multi dishes are really a thing of the past. I have done these crazy installs before to attain line of sight, Ive even strung 2 Ka/Kus together with a 6x8 to get the 119 in for someone that was ridiculous btw due to the 103 ports. but now that swm is the standard this stuff isnt seen done much. Also just because something will work doesnt mean the tech is required to do it, or will do it. My cust gave me 350cash to do that dual dish setup. and after the amount of wire and supplies i used, (bought conduit from the depot) i made like 200. Now that I work for comcast, and have access to rg11 i would highly recommend using it for anything over a 150-175' trench, just make sure you have the fittings and tools to work with it. better yet, stick your dish on a pole by the ped and hook into the comcast UG lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts