"Move" Question

chays99

Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
Texas
I'm interested in "moving" from College Station, Tx to Dallas, Tx. Before changing my service address, I wanted to confirm that this will work. After researching, and reading multiple threads here, I'm still not sure if this will work.

I can't find any information that tells me which dish I have. When I hit menu 6 1 1 it shows that I am locked in to Echostar West 119. Can I obtain Dallas locals based on this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm interested in "moving" from College Station, Tx to Dallas, Tx. Before changing my service address, I wanted to confirm that this will work. After researching, and reading multiple threads here, I'm still not sure if this will work.

I can't find any information that tells me which dish I have. When I hit menu 6 1 1 it shows that I am locked in to Echostar West 119. Can I obtain Dallas locals based on this setup?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Dallas SD locals are on 110W Transponder 29 Spotbeam 21, so if the only satellite you receive is 119W, the answer would be no. You would need a Dish 500 with twin LNB (or the equivalent) picking up both 110 and 119. Even then, since I'm not sure whether you would be within the Dallas spotbeam. Perhaps someone else who knows for sure will happen by. I'm just going by what's on published lists.

Thanks for the reply.

Are the HD locals on 100W also? The HD locals is really what I trying to get.

When I look at the dish outside, it doesn't show that it is a 500, but the point satellite screen says 500 under the dish option. Is there any way to tell which dish I have?

As far as the spotbeam reaching this area, I think it is possible. I have read of other people in this area receiving the Dallas locals here.

Thanks again.

The system info screen shows that I have signal on 119, 110, and 129. When I try to go to channel 175, the screen says that this channel is available for immediate upgrade. I guess the current programming package didn't include this channel.

Thanks.

So now you go into the 6-1-1 screen , Scroll over to satellite , up or down untill your on the 110, Then put Transponder 29 on and see what you have .I have a 7 here in PA ,so I am out of the spotbeam.

Here's what I found:

At menu 6 1 1, I changed the satellite to 110 and spotbeam 29 and had a 33 on the signal meter.

The 119 satellite that was programmed for the local programming is at a 74 on the signal meter.

With a 33, am I within the spotbeam?

Thanks.

Thats low , but I would say yes.
If I were you , I wouldn't do it. Just because if your getting a 33 with sunny clear skys, Next time it rains a little even, you may have a broken signal. I wouldn't do it unless your signal is atleast a 40 on a spotbeam. But thats just me.

When I checked spotbeam 21 based on the previous post, I had a much higher signal. Are the Dallas HD locals on various spotbeams?

Today is 100% overcast and the weather is acting like it is going to rain. It's definately not a clear day, but it's not full blown rain storm either.

33% should work. I am getting a 22 on the meter for sd locals in cleveland and I am at the other end of spot 9 on 110 and have had no weather effects at all, even on Dec 31 when that snow storm rolled through.

Big surprise here, but now I'm a bit confused!

All I'm interested in the Dallas locals in HD. At menu 6 1 1, what settings do I need to change to see if I am OK? I put the satellite option on 110, but then the transponder option changes to spotbeam on and off as I scroll through the options.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the fast responses.

OK guys, I think I'm close. I called my buddy back in Dallas and had him confirm his settings while tuned to an HD local channel. He was on satellite 110 and spotbeam 31. When I tune to these settings I get a signal around 50 on the meter.

So, at this point, I think I can safely change my service address. After I do so, do I need to point the satellite to 110 and 31 or will everything magically appear once Dish inputs the change? Also, how long will it take for the changes to take place once I contact Dish?

Thanks guys. I know this has been a beating.

If you already pick up 110, and as long as you can see the transponder, the only thing is that if the spotbeam does not go that far south, you will not get the signal. As I said before, that is what happened to me with my move. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

OK guys, I think I'm close. I called my buddy back in Dallas and had him confirm his settings while tuned to an HD local channel. He was on satellite 110 and spotbeam 31. When I tune to these settings I get a signal around 50 on the meter.

So, at this point, I think I can safely change my service address. After I do so, do I need to point the satellite to 110 and 31 or will everything magically appear once Dish inputs the change? Also, how long will it take for the changes to take place once I contact Dish?

Thanks guys. I know this has been a beating.

If you're in the beam, you will see the programming without having to do anything on your end.

I assumed since I could lock in to 110/31 that I was within the beam. I guess this isn't the case. I'm about 180 miles from Dallas. Any guesses as to whether I'm within the beam?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)