Move to the EA??

LPB

Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Penn
Hi all. Kind of confused here. Several years back I converted from C-band to Dish, installing by myself a Dish 1000 for the Western Arc and a Dish 322 receiver. The best part of this was that I could re-use the existing coax for the 150 ft. run to the Dish 1000, which stands next the relic c-band dish. But now I have a HD television and the beginnings of issues with tree obstruction. The Eastern Arc satellites will give me much clearer sight lines, so I want to convert to the Eastern Arc (with a Dish 1000.2/1000.4)--and I already bought a Dish 222k to be ready for HD programming.

What I don't understand is, my current Dish 1000 only requires one wire from the dish to be run into the house. It's unclear to me if the Dish 1000.2 requires more than one wire from dish to receiver. I want to avoid running more wire if I can--it's a long run. Can a DPP44 be used out near the dish so only one wire needs to run from the dish to the house?

My interaction with the Dish people has been blessedly minimal over the years--the only time I ever spoke to anyone was to activate the ebay 322 that I'd bought years ago. Do they need to know which satellite locations I want to use with my new 222k? As far as I can tell, after upgrading to HD programming and activating the new receiver, I should be able to see everything I need on the Eastern Arc, including my locals.

Is there anything I'm missing?

The 1000.2 already has an integrated switch. If that's the only dish you are needing then only 1 cable needs to be ran to the reciever. Using a seperator at the reciever will allow both tuners to operate correctly.

Well, that's nice to know! Thanks for the info. The install manual doesn't mention that--at least not that I can find. Do you know which of the LNB connections that should be used? 61.5, 72.7, 77?? Does it matter?

Well, that's nice to know! Thanks for the info. The install manual doesn't mention that--at least not that I can find. Do you know which of the LNB connections that should be used? 61.5, 72.7, 77?? Does it matter?

i used the EA and it didn't matter what LNB connection i used.

I would hook it to port one, others work with no problem most of the time, but not always for some reason in my experience...

you only need one wire for one receiver when used with dpp separator, but any additional receivers will need a wire for each....

Not that it's needed right now but I actually pulled off a 4 room Hopper / Joey install recently with someone's similar existing setup. I placed the node out at the dish then used the single wire run with a tap at the house for the joeys.

Sorry to get off topic.

My locals are on 61.5, so I should be ok there. Maybe this will be a painless process. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You'll need an MPEG4 receiver to replace your 322. If you don't need a DVR you would want a ViP222/222k.

My locals are on 61.5, so I should be ok there. Maybe this will be a painless process. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It should be. The only thing that might be a problem is the old wire from the C Band dish. If it works good for the 322 it should work good for the 222 as well but sometimes the old wire won't work to 2200mhz which is what's required for good reliable service. If you have 2 wires in the old C Band ribbon cable you can use both of them and no DPP separator at the receiver. That will give a separate wire for each tuner and will not require as much bandwidth on the individual wires. Good Luck.

It should be. The only thing that might be a problem is the old wire from the C Band dish. If it works good for the 322 it should work good for the 222 as well but sometimes the old wire won't work to 2200mhz which is what's required for good reliable service. If you have 2 wires in the old C Band ribbon cable you can use both of them and no DPP separator at the receiver. That will give a separate wire for each tuner and will not require as much bandwidth on the individual wires. Good Luck.

Excellent idea. There is a indeed another coax in the c-band ribbon which also includes all the wiring for the actuator--perhaps was supposed to be for Ku? I had never thought of using two of them before. Anyway, I've a new dish on the way, it has LNBs for all three EA positions. I believe I can re-use the old mast, but it's getting pretty weathered after all these years so I may replace it. I never had any difficulties establishing aim, I'm just wondering what the Dish personnel are going to say when I request to upgrade to HD without a professional install? Oh, well, I've never given them any trouble before, so we shall see.

And if I didn't say it before, I appreciate all you guys chiming in. Thanks.

You should contact one of the DIRT members here on the forum. They can probably make that part painless too. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)