Moved a couple miles and now no local channels...HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

capric621@yahoo.com

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
I had my Directv hooked up in the city of Hazleton, Pa (two hours north of Philly) and now I have moved to West Hazleton, Pa (only about 2 miles away). We set up the dish and I am getting a 90 to 99 signal strength for everything on the 101. But the 110 and the 119 are coming up with 0. I can get every channel except my locals. I also have the three LNB satellite dish. I don't know if it is something I did in the hookup or if I am just out of luck? Can anyone help?

I had my Directv hooked up in the city of Hazleton, Pa (two hours north of Philly) and now I have moved to West Hazleton, Pa (only about 2 miles away). We set up the dish and I am getting a 90 to 99 signal strength for everything on the 101. But the 110 and the 119 are coming up with 0. I can get every channel except my locals. I also have the three LNB satellite dish. I don't know if it is something I did in the hookup or if I am just out of luck? Can anyone help?
You should have used the FREE DISH MOVER and had it professionally installed. Your zero signal strength tells you your answer the dish is either incorrectly aligned or something is blocking the 110 and 119 satellites.:)

:welcome

Yep something is misaligned on your dish. I think locals are spotbeamed on 119 for Philadelphia. So have Directv come out and fix the dish and try the movers advantage that boba mentioned. It could be trees or even a bad multi-switch. Heck, I would have them install the new Slimline 5 LNB dish for future programming even if you are not on HD today.

Going from Hazleton to West Hazleton is like walking across the street. :)

Yes, boba is correct. You have the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton local channels, so you need to have a signal on the 119 satellite.

O.K. another question

Directv has been giving me a hassle about moving it again because I moved a few times this year. Now I finally got a house and don't plan on moving so I kind of had to put it up myself if I didn't want to wait forever. If I get a picture later on today and show you guys the things around it, is there anyway you could tell if the nearby tree can be doing it, because if I don't fix this I will not be watching the NBA finals tonight! :(

Since you have 101, look out from the dish following the LNB arm. Picture the spot in the sky you think the arm is pointing. Now look to the right and lower on the horizon. If there is anything there like trees or buildings or any obstruction, then your 119 might be blocked. Its not as high as 101 and I had tons of problems with mine until I removed trees. If its clear then you may just need to align the dish better. If that doesnt work, take a look at your multi-switch and cable lines to see if they are the problem.

I guess the real question is if his locals are on 101 or a spotbeam or in some cases even on 72.5 which would mean an extra dish.
If on 101 then you might try going to D* central and try auto-detect for satellites. But really if in fact on 101 you should be getting them . At any rate try auto-detect because then you will know for sure what you are actually detecting. I had myself everything correct once and couldn't get locals. I hit auto-detect and when done still nothing. But a few hours later they started working then.

Scranton Wilkes-barre locals are on the 119 satellite.The only way to receive them is with a 3lnb and a 5 lnb dish.If you have the 3 lnb its easy to set up.Make sure you receiver is set to read a 3lnb dish. If your having problems ,try getting a satellite finder and start over.Make sure the mast is plumb,and then set your tilt.With a satellite finder your Install will be real easy with a 3 lnb dish.

I have a 3 LNB dish and my receiver is set to read it. What is a satellite finder?

A satellite finder is a signal meter. Some of the higher end ones will actually tell you what satellite your pointing at.

As far as the Auto-detect feature:

Press Menu - Settings - Setup - Satellite - Autodetect (should be in the lower right portion of the screen)

This process will override any settings you have made for your satellite configuration and set them to what ever it sees your system as.

I did the auto detect feature and now the local channels no longer come up as searching for satellite, they say channel not available or something along those lines. Now when I check the signal strenght for local channels it says not available in there too???

I will give it one more shot to help you.
1. Hit auto-detect.
2.After it runs and stops then hit restart recorder. DO NOT TOUCH CLEAR AND DELETE EVERYTHING!
3. After all that wait a few hours.
If that still doesn't work then either your dish is off focus or you have an issue with D* not giving you the locals.

If your receiver is set to read a 3lnb dish,and it still doesn't work,Then you have a dish problem or a receiver problem.Auto detect is only if you have no idea what dish you have,Like if its on your roof and you can't see it.Other wise it performs no other function.It shouldn't take hours to auto detect either.

O.K. well tell me if this means anything, when I did auto detect it set my satellite to the single LNB circle dish, when I am actually running a 3 LNB Oval Dish. Does this make any sense?

Let me add one more thing. I am only running one receive off this dish. Inside the dish there are four possible connections (I'm guessing the Multi-Switch) I have only one coax wire running from the far left connection to the inside box. I tried all four connections on it and all four did the same thing. But is there anything different I should be doing there?

Actually the auto-detect doesn't take long. But my meaning was for after the reset. The auto detect is mainly for use with more dishes in your setup as sometimes it won't detect all the dishes in combination, such as if you need 72.5 satellite. And there are many other uses if you know how to really use it.

CAPRIC, could you please provide a complete description of what you have-what receiver type and name,what type multiswitch, and etc.
I take it that you have the oval dish with 3 lnb's on it. So then you should have 4 lines(rg6 cables) coming from the lnb's to your multiswitch. You can make it work with less but may run into problem of only odd or even channels. Please confirm this so far because for anyone to help you we need all the details.

Status
Please reply by conversation.