Moved and switched to Directv Stream - Is Gemini worth it?

iTurbo6

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 27, 2023
Newport Beach
I moved and no longer use satellite. I'm on Stream now and wanted to know if there is anything special or better about using a gemini off eBay vs just using an Apple TV or the Google TV app on a Sony.

I remember reading something about people buying the Osprey device off eBay for stream without a contract. Just wanted to know why this was the route they chose over Apple TV.

I think the biggest advantage of Gemini is that you get a remote that looks and acts like a cable box remote. If you ever find yourself wondering how to do complex tasks on a remote with 6 buttons, you’ll like the Gemini Air.

Is Gemini Air better than Gemini? I've always preferred wired over wireless and I don't think the Air allows ethernet even with an adapter right?

Is Gemini Air better than Gemini? I've always preferred wired over wireless and I don't think the Air allows ethernet even with an adapter right?
I've only used the Gemini Air, so I can't give you any advice.

Yes better but it would depend on your TV. The air has Dolby vision and HDR10+. If your TV supports those, you will have a better picture as long as you are streaming from sources that supports it.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

The original Gemini isn’t available for Internet customers anymore. You can get them used off eBay or whatever, if you want to chance it.

I moved and no longer use satellite. I'm on Stream now and wanted to know if there is anything special or better about using a gemini off eBay vs just using an Apple TV or the Google TV app on a Sony.

I remember reading something about people buying the Osprey device off eBay for stream without a contract. Just wanted to know why this was the route they chose over Apple TV.
I would not enjoy Stream without an Air or Osprey.
For me direct channel tuning is a must. IMO the apps on AppleTv, Roku, etc. are way too tedious.
I purchased some of my boxes directly from D*, others I purchased from FB marketplace.
You are taking a chance when purchasing from Ebay or FB marketplace however. There is a chance the box will not be able to receive a new download.

Are DTVs used boxes for streaming, still $50.00/ea and available? Wouldn't they be of 1080P Picture Quality? Many TV's today, do some Upscaling too.

Are DTVs used boxes for streaming, still $50.00/ea and available? Wouldn't they be of 1080P Picture Quality? Many TV's today, do some Upscaling too.
Last I checked they were still available.
Box is capable of producing 3840X2160p 60Hz 4k with HDR available.
HDR is either on or off and quite frankly I don't care for how the boxes do HDR.

Reactions: Wobble
We recently moved and switched from satellite to DirecTV Stream (not DirecTV via Internet). We have 4 Gemini boxes and the experience with them is better than our old receivers. The "junk" channels are gone and the boxes seem more responsive than our old satellite receivers.

Our main Gemini box is plugged into ethernet on a 1GB/s connection and the channels change quicker than with satellite.

I played around with the DirecTV app on the Roku and the Gemini box is leaps and bounds better.

If you have a DirecTV Stream account, you should be able to login to your account and place an order for the refurbished boxes for $49/ea. That's what I did.

We recently moved and switched from satellite to DirecTV Stream (not DirecTV via Internet). We have 4 Gemini boxes and the experience with them is better than our old receivers. The "junk" channels are gone and the boxes seem more responsive than our old satellite receivers.

Our main Gemini box is plugged into ethernet on a 1GB/s connection and the channels change quicker than with satellite.

I played around with the DirecTV app on the Roku and the Gemini box is leaps and bounds better.

If you have a DirecTV Stream account, you should be able to login to your account and place an order for the refurbished boxes for $49/ea. That's what I did.
Which way do you Not have to pay Monthly for the use of the box .... Stream or Via Internet ?

Thank you for everyone's input. I assume the boxes connect wirelessly from your router? Then call DTV streaming to activate streaming acct.?

Channels are 1080P or 720P depends on what the network provides
Not sure how your boxes work but I am able to choose what mine output from 3840x2160p (recommended),1080p, or 1080i.
IMG_0371.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure how your boxes work but I am able to choose what mine output from 3840x2160p (recommended),1080p, or 1080i.View attachment 170410
You do not want any streaming box to handle the up converting , they do not have the horse power for a good picture.

My Roku Ultra does Auto, so if native 1080P, it lets my TV, a Sony Z9K handle the video processing.

The only box that did a great job of the processing was the Nvidia Shield, but it had a graphics chip/card inside for that reason.

Reactions: harshness
I thought the $50.00 box is for knowing what channel you are on and or input the channel number of the station you want to view, via the accompanied remote. Just like having the Satellite box?

What is the $50.00 box for and how to connect to what? 3 boxes for 3 tv's. If it is not a simple operation to change channels....etc., I would not be interested in going internet/streaming. I am open to switching, but not enough details, I guess. User Friendly, is foremost.

I'm not looking to save money, but maybe improved picture quality if all channels are 1080p, and ease of operation, for example. Just collecting as much data for decision making process.

I thought the $50.00 box is for knowing what channel you are on and or input the channel number of the station you want to view, via the accompanied remote. Just like having the Satellite box?
It is. I have 2 of them and it’s just like directv satellite (minus the dish)
What is the $50.00 box for and how to connect to what? 3 boxes for 3 tv's. If it is not a simple operation to change channels....etc., I would not be interested in going internet/streaming. I am open to switching, but not enough details, I guess. User Friendly, is foremost.
mine are connected to the tv. You are over thinking this. 2 boxes for 2 tv’s.
I'm not looking to save money, but maybe improved picture quality if all channels are 1080p, and ease of operation, for example. Just collecting as much data for decision making process.
Why not save money? I’ve had both satellite and stream and other than stream not having the religious channels, shopping channels (the knockoff ones) and the music only stations it’s the same service. Same channel numbers.

Last edited: