Moved to a new house, Dish Network wants $100 upgrade fee now

owais

Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
Orlando FL
Hey all,

We just moved to a new house in between a 24 month contract with Dish Network. We called and informed them of the move, and told them that we won't be ready immediately to activate the service at the new house right away. They told us that we need to mail in the 2nd HD receiver (222k I believe) and keep the first (722k). We thought it was odd but okay, we mailed it back in the box they sent. We continued sending them $10 a month to keep the account active.

Now that we are ready for Dish again, they want $100 upgrade fee to get that 2nd box back. I tried explaining that we were forced to return it, so why would I pay to get it back? They would not budge. They would only give me free installation. On top of this, I want a 3rd box for another bedroom HDTV so that's another $100.

So, can I just buy my own receivers off eBay and have the tech install them when they come to install the Dish? I could resell them afterwards to recoup some if not all of the money. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Did you use the dish mover thing? You pack the recievers, they'll install a new dish at the new house. Think the service is $25 or something, but you re-up for another 24 months. I did this when we moved

If you buy from eBay, be sure to check with Dish to make sure the receiver doesn't have a balance on it. If it does, balance needs to be paid before they'll activate it. AS far as a technician hooking up extra receivers, he really can't do that. He is only allowed to do what is on the work order, anything more would be considered custom work. Will he do it for a "tip"? Possibly, but depends on the tech.

They actually charge you when you move? All three other providers in my area move and/or transfer you service for free with no charge at all nor no extension of your contract

They actually charge you when you move? All three other providers in my area move and/or transfer you service for free with no charge at all nor no extension of your contract

The key here is that the OP wasn't ready to activate service at the new house yet but wanted to deactivate at the old house. I think if he was ready at the new house to start with the price would have been zero....

I can help on this issue.

As far as "additional fees" on a DISH Mover, ONLY 500+ and 1000+ dish requires a charge of $100 for the equipment. For those of you requiring that dish, if you can, take it from the old residence and move it to the new residence. That will save you that $100.

Also, for those on a prepay account, there is a $100 fee for the DISH Mover itself. All other accounts are on a "free" DISH Mover deal.

To the OP, if you PM me your phone number I can see what I can do to take care of this for you with regard to getting the receiver back, and adding an additional. Sorry for the hassle, but I can help you out.

If you buy from eBay, be sure to check with Dish to make sure the receiver doesn't have a balance on it. If it does, balance needs to be paid before they'll activate it. AS far as a technician hooking up extra receivers, he really can't do that. He is only allowed to do what is on the work order, anything more would be considered custom work. Will he do it for a "tip"? Possibly, but depends on the tech.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check to make sure there is no balance. As for the install, I suppose I can do it myself too after the dish is installed/activated.

Well the installation itself is free, but they want a $100 upgrade fee to the second HD receiver back.

The key here is that the OP wasn't ready to activate service at the new house yet but wanted to deactivate at the old house. I think if he was ready at the new house to start with the price would have been zero....

This could be, there was a several month gap in between. But I'm not sure if this is why I had to return the second box in the first place.

As far as "additional fees" on a DISH Mover, ONLY 500+ and 1000+ dish requires a charge of $100 for the equipment. For those of you requiring that dish, if you can, take it from the old residence and move it to the new residence. That will save you that $100.

Also, for those on a prepay account, there is a $100 fee for the DISH Mover itself. All other accounts are on a "free" DISH Mover deal.

To the OP, if you PM me your phone number I can see what I can do to take care of this for you with regard to getting the receiver back, and adding an additional. Sorry for the hassle, but I can help you out.

PM sent!

This person was not charged for a Dishmover, but rather a receiver upgrade that was not necessary.

The customer had the correct equipment from the beginning, put the account on pause and was told to turn in one of the receivers. The customer sent it back, and now he is trying to reactivate and being told to pay $100 to get that receiver back

What the hell??

They tell you specifically to leave your old dish at your old house in the commercials and other places. Nowhere does it state what dish to take with you.....if you don't want to pay when you get to your new place.

Last edited:
This person was not charged for a Dishmover, but rather a receiver upgrade that was not necessary.

The customer had the correct equipment from the beginning, put the account on pause and was told to turn in one of the receivers. The customer sent it back, and now he is trying to reactivate and being told to pay $100 to get that receiver back
Which isn't the best customer service policy, but probably "sending it back" was done because they weren't making any money from him and did not want to put any more capitol investment in him than they needed to. They can send that receiver to someone else. He could have been on hiatus for a very long time. Now, charging to get it back?

This would be an occasion when buying one for around $100 makes more sense than sending Dish a hundred to lease.

Summing the last two sentences- This is not a smart policy on Dish's part. Did I put that mildly enough?

While the OP's situation is different, according to Dish, the $100 charge for 500+ and 1000+ means that the International customers are sc@#wd / hosed. They already pay a lot of money for only a few or even ONE channel. C'mon Charlie! I suppose I could see such a ridiculous charge if one doesn't want to re-up, as a way for Dish to get immediate recoup of the dual-band LNBF. Still this is pretty bad treatment to subs who are paying a ton for only a few channels over quite a bit of time. And considering as one poster said, Dish is always telling folk from the commercials to just leave the dish behind and they will get a new one at no additional charge (surely ittt-bitty print at the bottom of the screen regarding + systems) is disingenuous. And as for the seemingly helpful, but for some USELESS advice of, in some cases, climbing to the roof and risking injury--there are some old folks out there and no, they may not have youngin's around to help much--is a bit insulting considering how Dish Mover is promoted. I really do believe someone in such a situation ought to go through an AG regarding the + upgrade that seems never to be revealed until it is too late and the LNBF return requirement when Charlie wants the door to hit you on the way out. It certainly wouldn't be the first time DirecTV or Dish is found to have a few business practices NOT "kopesidic"

DodgerKing said:

No dish does not charge if you move under normal circumstances, and do not extend the contract, 1 free dish mover per account per 24 month. This is not normal circumstances. The reciever was probsbly requested to be sent back if the csr assumed you wanted dish pause. You kept 1 to keep it active. At 10 a month.

You didnt ask enough questions, and the csr didnt give you enough info.

Does everybody on here buy cars without first checking out what the financing agrement says? Probably not. Advice to any body looking to pause, cancel, start service, get everything on writting. Dont take anybodies word for fact.

All in all to the op. Cancel if you have no contract wait 6 months, coneback as a New customer.

yaz96 said:
What the hell??

They tell you specifically to leave your old dish at your old house in the commercials and other places. Nowhere does it state what dish to take with you.....if you don't want to pay when you get to your new place.

Not for international.

So let me see if i understand what the dish tech posted..

If you have a dish500+ or a 1000 dish and you move and leave the dishes behind you will be billed $100 for install at new home?Not too many people are going to be able to take those dishes down let alone re-install them.Does that mean dish mover only applies to the smaller dishes now?Please clarify.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)