Moved to Directv from Dish Network

Why did you switch from Dish Network to Directv?

• Customer service is horrible

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Contracts disputes (drop of channels)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Equipment fees

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Directv's promotion was too good to pass

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I made the switch a few days ago because of all of the above mentioned. Just canceled Dish about an hour ago.

I chose all the above but I never had a problem with cs, Lucky me.
I'm getting installed tomarrow between 8 & 12. Hope all goes well and I will be calling Dish shortly after that to cancel.

Too many reasons. #1 is equipment fees and adding the dvr fee on top for AEP subs.

S~

Mostly all of the above.
The Customer service wasn't too bad IMO.
But the Fee's are just too much.
Charlie Lies on his Charlie chats
Too Many programming disputs and lawsuits
Too much Unannounced changes with pricing and programming.

I started with D* in 1994 or 95. On 1997 a swap for E* because the international channels were better on E*. I left right back after D* got a good selection of spanish channels, three years later. At one point I considered going back to E* but after taking to cs I decided to stay put. E* cs sucks, must of the time you need a translator to understand what they are talking about it.

CS sucks on Dish....still does
D* has MLB Net
D* has the RSN's in HD...all the time. Not part time, part part time (games JIP'd) or no time
The offer they gave me
The offer Qwest gave me by bundling
Other than Versus, D* very rarely has a channel dispute. It always seemed with E* there was a dispute, either national or local

I have to laugh at this line from Dish in regards to the PBS injunction they have going now (if you dont venture to the E* part, when STELA was written up Dish thought it was the cats meow. Then they realized that ANY new HD market they add they have to add PBS in HD and have all HD markets that are up on Dish have to have PBS by end of year 2011....Dish says they dont have the TP space.....yet they could add 30 some odd SD locals market)...anywho in the thread Scott posted Dish's response. Here is part of it

We believe that our customers should be the ones who decide what they want to watch on TV and how they want to watch it.
Charlie must be referring to D* customers :)

Was a Dish customer for 13 years. Stayed with them despite them killing the AEP price advantage, and unknowingly paying for an HD package charge for months after Dish dropped the fee. But the latest receiver fees were the last straw. Got 2 HR24s and 2 H24s installed last night, and cancelled Dish today.

Direct was never an option until now because it didn't have the ability to feed the whole house from the DVRs like my 525/622/508 setup with Dish. MRV replaced the whole house setup (all in HD no less) I had with Dish, the additional 30 dollars Dish decided they were justified to charge me for the privilege of using a second SD output on the DVRs levelled the playing field cost wise, I no longer have to have 2-3 remotes in every room if I want to watch programs from the different DVRs, and I get Sunday Ticket as part of the initital offer, which comes in about $60 less than what I was paying for Dish. I also thought Dish's DVRs were far superior to Direct's, but from what I've seen so far the 24s are right there.

So congratulations to Dish on finding a way to lose a 13 year cash cow.

I was with Directv for nine years untill I decided I just wanted a change to see what the other side was like, liked on paper how Dish had more Programming options in regard to packages.Made it over a year with Dish, I just missed some of the programming that was on Direct and not Dish (Sunday Ticket, HD RSN full time,MLB Network) Just add FSC in HD, and I am set :) I am with Direct to stay

Last edited:
I chose all the above but I never had a problem with cs, Lucky me.
I'm getting installed tomarrow between 8 & 12. Hope all goes well and I will be calling Dish shortly after that to cancel.
Let us know how your install goes!

For me if I was going to cancel, I would be doing so because of the equipment fees. I was lucky this time and was able to drop my bill down by removing programming I never watched, however the next time DISH jack things up I will consider moving to DIRECTV.

Let us know how your install goes!

For me if I was going to cancel, I would be doing so because of the equipment fees. I was lucky this time and was able to drop my bill down by removing programming I never watched, however the next time DISH jack things up I will consider moving to DIRECTV.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
There's 2 straws that broke this camels back......
1. the launch of new channels that I would need a new dish, if you don't hangout at Satguys you would never know they were launched. My girl friend had no idea there were more HD channels and she's the primary couch potato/bill payer.
2. Earlier in the week, Mets games on SNY part time HD(JIP'ed) and I'm not even a Mets fan.:)

Two reasons why I left. Equipment fees and the new hardware Direct has now. I had both several years ago and would have kept Direct if they had a decent box.

Oh and reason three before Bob beats me to it........ fulltime HD RSN!!! :)

I had 3 reasons:

1) Dish dropped the VOOM channels. I really liked 4 of them.

2) Direct has better HD picture quality. Surprised this isn't on your list.

3) Direct offers MLB:EI. I'm very surprised you don't have expanded sports offerings on your list.

That's why the last one is "Other" because I knew there will be other reasons. But you're right, Sports is definitely missing there. Sports is not the main reason why I switched but I like the MLB network. :) IMO, the HD picture quality is about the same on both providers so right now I think it is not a big reason for people to switch. Dish Network is having problems mainly with their equipment fees increase and their customer service.

My main objective was to find out how many Satelliteguys members are switching from Dish Network to Directv in the last few weeks.

I picked all of the above even though I have not had problems w/ customer service. All other reasons applied. I switched about a month ago and really happy I made the switch. Kicking myself for not dong this earlier. Love the MRV!!!!!!. Love MLB network & of course fullt ime RSN's.

I switched on 6/26, mostly because of the fees. Also got tired of waiting for the VIP922 promises that still aren't available. The MRV is what really sold me and works great. We love the equipment and service. Haven't looked back, very happy with D*.

Was a Dish customer for 13 years. Stayed with them despite them killing the AEP price advantage, and unknowingly paying for an HD package charge for months after Dish dropped the fee. But the latest receiver fees were the last straw. Got 2 HR24s and 2 H24s installed last night, and cancelled Dish today.

Direct was never an option until now because it didn't have the ability to feed the whole house from the DVRs like my 525/622/508 setup with Dish. MRV replaced the whole house setup (all in HD no less) I had with Dish, the additional 30 dollars Dish decided they were justified to charge me for the privilege of using a second SD output on the DVRs levelled the playing field cost wise, I no longer have to have 2-3 remotes in every room if I want to watch programs from the different DVRs, and I get Sunday Ticket as part of the initital offer, which comes in about $60 less than what I was paying for Dish. I also thought Dish's DVRs were far superior to Direct's, but from what I've seen so far the 24s are right there.

So congratulations to Dish on finding a way to lose a 13 year cash cow.

Wow! Ditto!! This is exactly me. If I didn't know better I would have thought I wrote it myself. I was a top tier customer subscribing to AEP for more than 10 yrs. with three HD DVR's. I like the way you put it. They slammed me with $34/month in extra dual DVR fees for the privilege of using their 2nd SD output. I was livid over this. Their own customer service people acknowledged the fees were excessive. When they engaged their customer retention executive, I complained about this and the HD Platinum charge. Remember when they offered that at no charge for AEP subscribers? The guy had no memory of this, but because I was getting so used to these games from Dish I actually took a screen shot of the offer on their website because I knew I would need it to prove to them one day they offered this. When I emailed it to him, he explained that this was a long time ago and their prices have changed several times since then. Really? It was something like 9 months ago!! These are the games they play. Offer an incentive and then slip it away and hope you don't notice. Occasionally they would sneak a $5/month fee into my bill for one or more receivers and claim that it was not hooked up to a phone line or the internet, which was complete B.S. All receivers were always hooked up to the internet. I had to watch my bill like a hawk. I got so tired of this. Meanwhile, I can't turn the TV on without seeing one of their commercials bragging about how they are lower than DirecTv. I kept thinking, that may be true if you have one TV. The dual DVR fees were the last straw.

I stressed then about whether I had made the right decision to switch. I had always been happy with Dish's programming and hardware and very underwhelmed with what I would see with DirecTv at a friend or neighbor's house. I would have never switched without a good kick, and then Dish provided it. I can tell you the new HR24 and H24 receivers are great! I am very happy with their performance. I have no regrets!

Scott, I see your post too. That was their suggestion to me. Dumb down your equipment and hardware and yes, that would lower my bill. That actually irritated me more. Their fees are too high and they play games with your bill. That is what needs to change, not my programming. Come to think if it though, I did change my programming and now my Dish Network bill is ZERO.

I had always been happy with Dish's programming and hardware and very underwhelmed with what I would see with DirecTv at a friend or neighbor's house. I would have never switched without a good kick, and then Dish provided it. I can tell you the new HR24 and H24 receivers are great! I am very happy with their performance. I have no regrets!

I feel the same way. I would have never switched to Directv but Dish Network pushed me too far. I'm very happy with the switch and pleasantly surprised with all the features, MRV and picture quality that Directv has.

I feel strange now that everything just works with Directv. :)

After being a DISH customer for six years, we just found out that at least 24 VOD movies were charged to our account, many for movies started at the same time (up to 4!) while we weren't even home for six weeks. Since DISH customer service has no explanation for this except that somebody must have ordered these, even though we were away and the TV and remotes were not touched for six weeks. Also, we noticed that someone deleted much of what we had saved on our DVR and added around 15 shows we never watch to the record list.
A closer look at our bill shows that VOD were billed to our account back in April and again in May and then now 24 in June and July, all 6.99 and sometimes for the same movie repeated a couple of days later and as I mentioned, very often two at the same time and also four at the same time.
Since DISH thinks there is no explanation for this (one guy actually told me he never heard of such a thing), we are getting rid of DISH and moving to DIRECT. When I call the customer service line, the recording says, "I see you are one of our top customers."
Yep... we were, Center Ice every year, top programming and extras, three receivers.... but now we are not fans of DISH any longer. I have never been treated so poorly by agents who are supposed to provide customer service. They deny there is any alternate explanation except that someone here ordered these things and have no explanation for how someone could have changed our recording choices. This is clearly an error on their end or a flaw in the system they are refusing to acknowledge. This is completely unacceptable. I did finally get 11 of the unbilled movies value credited to my account (I'll believe it when I see it.), but the fact remains that 14 more I have already paid for when I did not order any of these. Nobody ordered these movies on my TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts