Moved to Directv from Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Why did you switch from Dish Network to Directv?

• Customer service is horrible

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Contracts disputes (drop of channels)

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Equipment fees

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • Directv's promotion was too good to pass

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
crimpshrine said:
I put in the "notes to the installer" box to make sure he brings two HR24's when he comes this Sat for my new install.

I was wondering if there is a certain standard receiver that is better then the other or all of those about the same?

You can get a H24 which is an hd receiver. and hook to sd tv so you can have MRV on that tv.

I was with Dish for about 4 years, over time I had grown increasingly dissatisfied with the hardware and software in the ViP622. The DVR ran hot because of a poor hardware design and scheduling programs for recording was needlessly complex and obscure. You could have baked cookies on the top of our ViP622. We had several ViP622 hardware failures which added to my frustration.

Yesterday a skilled DirecTV installer set us up with an HR24-100 and I'm finding the hardware and software to be vastly superior to Dish. My only disappointment with the DirecTV service is that BBC America is not available in HD.

I will not miss the horrible, awful, painfully slow website at dishnetwork.com but once my two year contract with DirecTV is up I might consider going back if they have some decent DVRs and a competent web department by then.

We also have a TiVo Premiere XL and Time Wanker[sic] CATV which is highly unreliable but does offer the ability to record more shows simultaneously as well as access to streaming services and Amazon Unbox. I find that the HR24-100 compares very favorably with the TiVo Premiere, especially because the HR24 responds to user input much faster than any other DVR I have ever seen.

You can get a H24 which is an hd receiver. and hook to sd tv so you can have MRV on that tv.

Yeah that's what I wanted to do to start with but I'm paying $100 for the extra HDDVR and if I got a H24 I think I would have to pay another $100. Just can't afford to pay that much.

So since I've been with E*, I've heard the stories about how slow the channel changing is from one channel to the other with D*.

So my question is to all of the people that had E*. Is there really that much of a difference on how long it takes to switch a channel on D* compared to E*?

The reason I switched was no full time RSN, no NFL or Baseball package. Seriously a poll that has no programming option is rather worthless.

I picked other.. CS sucks.. Equipment failures.. software problems (cant seem to record 10% of the time).. constant disputes on programming.. rain fade (in florida its really bad, even get it on directv occasionally, dish with the slightly clouds).. nickel dime approach to billing.. screwing everything customers.. etc..

When I cancelled I explained there were far to many issues with their company.. good luck surviving...

I will not miss the horrible, awful, painfully slow website at dishnetwork.com but once my two year contract with DirecTV is up I might consider going back if they have some decent DVRs and a competent web department by then.

My computer locked up half of the time trying to log into dish website. Not that it mattered; they only let you change your program twice online before stating "you have to call to make any future changes".

Does Directv still let you make unlimited changes on their website?

I feel the same way. I would have never switched to Directv but Dish Network pushed me too far. I'm very happy with the switch and pleasantly surprised with all the features, MRV and picture quality that Directv has.

I feel strange now that everything just works with Directv. :)

I know it felt so weird to tune into an RSN in HD and get an RSN in HD! Dish has lost a lot of longtime coustomers, I have a feeling that like novicane, once word of mouth spreads, Dish will be loosing alot of coustomers. I give it 9 months!

Sweet...install guy just called and I asked about the HR24; there weren't loaded on the truck. He did some swaps and now 2-HR24s and 1-H24 are on their way. He commented on "You know your receivers". Thanks to this forum for ensuring I get started on the right foot.

Lied to about locals in HD .. announced on CC and a year later still not there. Also the RSN's in HD are great and really enjoy the MLB network. Dish just dropped too many channels and always seemed to be in disputes. Very happy with D*!

I moved over seven years ago (and things have changed for both since then) but my motivation at the time was a slight savings (plus I get a discount as a Hughes retiree) and access to some channels which Dish didn't carry (Trio and Newsweek International, both of which are long gone). I was also concerned about adding HD because of sight lines to either 61.5 or 129. I have never been tempted to move back.

I have to laugh (even though I don't find this at all funny)...my HR24/100 needs to be replaced already. It keeps locking up, dropping audio & rebooting by itself. The techs had me do a whole bunch of stuff before finally resetting the entire system (hard drive reformat) and it still kept on doing it's thing. They're sending me a replacement receiver via FedEx.

I should have added another option to the poll: "Because Dish removed the Absolute HD package". :) I knew it was just a matter of time for that package to be removed, it was a great deal for customers who had it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)