Moved to Phoenix do I need a Dish 1000?

ron2nd

Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
I moved to Phoenix a year ago and had a house built and am currently using Cox but want to get back to Dish for the HD content now that I am in my new house. I have been away from the Satellite side of things and have a couple questions.
1. I have a 811 and a 508 are these still good to use since I own them but did not know if it is old technology? I see on ebay they pratically give away the 811 now..I paid $400 for mine..
2. Do I need a Dish1000 if I want to get all the HD content available and is there a special switch needed to use the Dish1000?
3. Can I just subscribe to the HD content?
Thanks for any info on this...

Ron C

Hello!
First, the 811 and 508 are MPEG-2 receivers so they cannot see the new HD channels since they are MPEG-4. To see the newer HD content you will need a Dish 1000 and a new receiver, either a 211 (standard single tuner HD no DVR) or a 622 (dual tuner HD DVR). As for locals, you may still need a Dish 1000 and/or maybe a wing bird for 148 to receive locals and HD sice HD only comes on 129 and 61.5, depends on your local DMA.

Thanks for the Info

Wow I guess $400 went down the drain quick (only 2 years) the 811 did not have a long life. I bet that made alot of owners mad, I know it does me.

I moved to Phoenix a year ago and had a house built and am currently using Cox but want to get back to Dish for the HD content now that I am in my new house. I have been away from the Satellite side of things and have a couple questions.
1. I have a 811 and a 508 are these still good to use since I own them but did not know if it is old technology? I see on ebay they pratically give away the 811 now..I paid $400 for mine..
2. Do I need a Dish1000 if I want to get all the HD content available and is there a special switch needed to use the Dish1000?
3. Can I just subscribe to the HD content?
Thanks for any info on this...

Ron C
1. Seeing your 811 is inactive no you cannot subscribe to HD, DISH will not activate an old receiver for the MPEG2 HD channels so you can reuse it as a SD receiver or just trash it(you can still receive OTA HD but it must be attached to a satellite signal). The 508 is still very usable and does not have a DVR fee.
2. If you want HD you need a dish 1000 it comes with needed switches if DISH installs it.
3. There is no separate HD package Bronze is the minimum level for HDTV subscription.

As a previous customer you should be able to qualify as a "RETURNING CUSTOMER" and get all new offers except a refund of the $49.99 activation fee.:)

If you add a ViP211 to your account you can also have the 811 activated, but it will only receive the OLD HD channel lineup.

The Phoenix SD locals are on 119 and the HD locals are on 110 but you would still need the dish 1000 for the new national HD content.

Dish only has 5,10,12 and 15 in HD. If you want HD from 3,8,45 or 61 (6,706 on cox) you will need to put up an antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)