Moving dish a few inches?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MountGilead

Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Mount Gilead, Ohio
The base plate my dish is mounted to is loose because the four lag bolts are slightly loose. My guess is that because they are likely only screwed into my metal roof, then plywood subroofing that over time the holes slowly enlarge.

My thought is to simply drill four identical holes but literally a couple inches from its current location.

I know I'll have to worry about this again down the road.

1) Can I move a few inches without worrying about the signal?
2) What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys MountGilead!
As 907TECH said, it's likely you would have to repoint the dish if you move it. If it's really that loose you are probably losing signal now so what do you have to lose? If you have access in the attic you could replace them one at a time with a fender washer against the sheathing. If they are really bolts it would be easy. If they are lag screws then you would have to replace them one at a time. If the sheathing is that bad you should have that attended to anyways.

Reactions: solarvic
I have a steel roof and no one is going to mount anything on it. To much chance of leaks. I left the original shingles And used 1x4 sheathing strips on top of shingles and put the steel roof on that. I agree with raoul 5788 idea of what to do but with a little more modification. You could put some sheating strips or or a piece of 1/2 inch plywood under your roof to stiffen up your roof. Make sure you do not use screws that are too long and penetrate your roofing .

Previous post, My previous suggestion was a little overkill as i jumped to conclusion it was for a c-band dish. After reading your post again I guess it must be a small dish. I would try to avoid putting any new holes in your steel roof because of leaks. Try to follow chip,s idea and use bolts that have a nut on the inside of your attic if your wood is still ok. You still could put a couple of short pieces of 1 inch wood on underside of wood to make your roof a litter more solid. I couldn,t do this on my roof as I have a double wide pre manufactured home and can,t get into the attic.

Thanks.

I can't get to the underside of the roof where the dish is now. Problem appears that with the slightest breeze, I get pixels I thought/think because the dish rocks.

Think an epoxy like liquid nails along the seems of the b are might be enough?

Thanks.

I can't get to the underside of the roof where the dish is now. Problem appears that with the slightest breeze, I get pixels I thought/think because the dish rocks.

No way to tell without seeing the integrity of the roof, unlikely it would make much of a difference, though. I'd look into having it moved, perhaps to a pole mount like Jimbo suggested.

Thanks.

Are you using Dish Braces on the DISH? or just the base --Add the Brace legs that should stop the Base from moving --just a thought

Reactions: TV Junkie
Over time what will happen (even though there are no leaks) is water will get around the screws and rot the wood.

The 2 center bolts should be in the roof rafter, but that rarely gets done. The installer usually puts a 1/2 inch socket adaptor on their drill and screws in the lag bolts to the roof where ever it will hold.

Sometimes it’s best to mount the dish on a pole, or see if you can convert the roof mount into a wall mount and go into brick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over time what will happen (even though there are no leaks) is water will get around the screws and rot the wood.

The 2 center bolts should be in the roof rafter, but that rarely gets done. The installer usually puts a 1/2 inch socket adaptor on their drill and screws in the lag bolts to the roof where ever it will hold.

Sometimes it’s best to mount the dish on a pole, or see if you can convert the roof mount into a wall mount and go into brick

Who said there is brick anywhere?

Reactions: Jimbo
Who said there is brick anywhere?

Nobody!

However if A brick wall is available, that will probably be your best choice besides a pole mount.

Pole mounts are great, but they could get disturbed, where as if you mount to brick and put it high enough it likely will never move or need to be adjusted.

Nobody!

However if A brick wall is available, that will probably be your best choice besides a pole mount.

Pole mounts are great, but they could get disturbed, where as if you mount to brick and put it high enough it likely will never move or need to be adjusted.

Or the brick may crumble .... :( :oops:;)

The base plate my dish is mounted to is loose because the four lag bolts are slightly loose. My guess is that because they are likely only screwed into my metal roof, then plywood subroofing that over time the holes slowly enlarge.

My thought is to simply drill four identical holes but literally a couple inches from its current location.

I know I'll have to worry about this again down the road.

1) Can I move a few inches without worrying about the signal?
2) What else should I consider?

Thanks in advance!
Hey friend you can probably get away with the dish move IF you plan ahead.

I have several dishes mounted on home made pallets. A few months ago I moved one of the pallets / dish more than 50 feet without signal loss.

What I did was after marking the dish / mast itself with sharpie marker, I also marked the pallet orientation by way of compass with sharpie.

Picked up pallet, moved it out behind shed, put compass on pallet and rotate to correct alignment, reattached coax, TV.

Plan ahead. Make sure it's working as desired before move.

To move your dish those four inches I would put my cell phone in compass mode on the lnb arm to get a rough reading. Drill, move, re-measure with cell compass. Adjustments will most likely be obvious and minuscule.

youcandoit.gif

Hey friend you can probably get away with the dish move IF you plan ahead.

I have several dishes mounted on home made pallets. A few months ago I moved one of the pallets / dish more than 50 feet without signal loss.

What I did was after marking the dish / mast itself with sharpie marker, I also marked the pallet orientation by way of compass with sharpie.

Picked up pallet, moved it out behind shed, put compass on pallet and rotate to correct alignment, reattached coax, TV.

Plan ahead. Make sure it's working as desired before move.

To move your dish those four inches I would put my cell phone in compass mode on the lnb arm to get a rough reading. Drill, move, re-measure with cell compass. Adjustments will most likely be obvious and minuscule.

View attachment 151281
Normally, you can't do that as the compass will be too close to the metal and cause the compass to be off on the readings, but your on the right track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)