Moving Fees for Hurricane Sandy Victim! Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do you know, or can you get to know a install tech that might do the job on the side for a lot less? I am a tech myself and have been contacted by individuals that did not want to pay the high fee and we worked out a price to pay for my time and parts that was a lot less than what Directv was wanting.

Do you know, or can you get to know a install tech that might do the job on the side for a lot less? I am a tech myself and have been contacted by individuals that did not want to pay the high fee and we worked out a price to pay for my time and parts that was a lot less than what Directv was wanting.

If my company found me doing that type of thing, I would get told about it for sure and reminded of the rules I agreed to when I started ... they would say it's a "Conflict of Interest" ....

Hopefully not suspend me or worse.

As mentioned I would try the retention department and explain the situation, and as has been said dont just say you want to cancel, but that you are having to move because of the hurricane damage. And if that dont work, you might be able to find a installer who will do it for alot less. Good luck with your situation I hope it all works out for you.

I will say that this would be something I as in former stonecold supervisor would put the customer on hold call a rentention supervisor, do an attended transfer and get the credit applied. Really I could do it my self but probably would of gotten a slap on the wrist for but retentions they tend to take a blind eye to, especially when it natural disaster related.

I will say that this would be something I as in former stonecold supervisor would put the customer on hold call a rentention supervisor, do an attended transfer and get the credit applied. Really I could do it my self but probably would of gotten a slap on the wrist for but retentions they tend to take a blind eye to, especially when it natural disaster related.

I had a CSR stay with me as she performed a three way call (or, "attended transfer"). It was the most amazing customer experience moment of my eight years of installing. Why don't more companies do this???

Does the OP know of anyone who could do the job? A friend or family member? Other than that, I'd agree with Scott. Look into your insurance. Also, doesn't Directv all subscribers to suspend their service for 30 days. That could buy you some time.

If my company found me doing that type of thing, I would get told about it for sure and reminded of the rules I agreed to when I started ... they would say it's a "Conflict of Interest" ....

Hopefully not suspend me or worse.

Plenty of contractors out therethat would be more than happy to do this work for you.

Does the OP know of anyone who could do the job? A friend or family member? Other than that, I'd agree with Scott. Look into your insurance. Also, doesn't Directv all subscribers to suspend their service for 30 days. That could buy you some time.

It's six months IIRC.

My sister ran into something similar! Not a disaster for sure!! But......... She was planning on moving soon when she signed up for service. CSR who did her contract said, "No problem!" We'll move the Dish into your new place! Never mentioning the $200+ fee until the day came!!! So, instead of paying the fee i downloaded a android compass app went over to her house recorded the exact degrees the dish was pointing at. Yanked it off the roof, snagged the cable, splitter,swm and receiver. Took it over to her new house 8 miles away, planted a pole in her yard and set the dish to my previous compass readings. Ran the cable into her house doing the drip loop, grounds and all and bingo dish was very close to being spot on. After some slight adjustments. I was done!!! Sister happy!!!

I would call the Attorney Generals Office, this is no different in my opinion then price gouging. You may also get more mileage by calling the local papers and news. This is ridiculous behavior after a disaster.

According to their site you can cancel.

http://support.directv.com/app/answ...lping-customers-impacted-by-natural-disasters

"Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account."

So you can simply cancel and if needed switch to another option if they are unwilling to move you.

DIRECTV has policies in place to assist customers who are impacted by natural disasters, and we work with these customers to find a solution that best fits their needs. Options available include:

Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account.
Account suspension - For customers who are without power for an extended period, we offer to suspend their account until power and services can be restored.
No-cost service calls - If service can be restored at the customer's home, we will send a technician at no cost to ensure the dish is properly aligned and to fix any technical issues.
Equipment - For customers whose equipment was damaged in the storm, we offer to waive equipment replacement costs if they continue their DIRECTV service.
If you are a customer that has been affected, please contact 1-800-531-5000 so we can remedy your situation immediately

It says nothing in there that they will move your system.

Sounds to me like if the Dish was blown off your balcany or lost its alignment they would do the service call at no cost.

I think this poster should just see about getting it covered as part of his homeowners insurance. If this is something that can be covered, then why ask Directv to do it for free?

Claude Greiner said:
It says nothing in there that they will move your system.

Sounds to me like if the Dish was blown off your balcany or lost its alignment they would do the service call at no cost.

I think this poster should just see about getting it covered as part of his homeowners insurance. If this is something that can be covered, then why ask Directv to do it for free?

"Account cancellation - If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm, DIRECTV will cancel the account, and waive any fees associated with the inability to return equipment, along with any remaining agreement on the account."

Pretty sure that if you must move from your home due to direct impact from the hurricane, I would say that falls under "If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm".

Pretty sure that if you must move from your home due to direct impact from the hurricane, I would say that falls under "If service cannot be restored at the customer's home due to the damage from the storm".

Thats the way I read it as well.
They will allow you to cancel if needed, if they won't move you, cancel and sign back up with your new address.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts