Moving from BEV to Shaw this summer and appreciate your input

mecdatlanta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Greetings CDN Satellite Experts!

First of all, I want to apologize for being a taker and not a giver. I visit this site relatively infrequently and GREATLY appreciate you helpful bunch of people who help me out every time. My wife, kids and I live in Atlanta and if it weren't for your help, they wouldn't have French programming, which is so key to them learning the language in a geographical location that offers no exposure at all.

I have been reading the threads and it looks like if I don't buy a Shaw receiver/dish this summer when we are in Canada we might be without tv next winter. If anyone feels differently (I would love to get another year out of this hardware), please let me know.

So my question is (assuming that everyone agrees that it is time to switch this summer), what hardware should I buy and how difficult is it going to be to make the switch at my Atlanta home. I will be taking down my BEV dish and replacing my DVR (I don't recall the model -- probably doesn't matter). We only have one receiver from which the signal is distributed throughout the house so that we can watch the same channel in other rooms. Our remote is RF, so we can change the channel from any room.

I am looking for a receiver that offers DVR capability. I don't think that I want to get into multiple receivers, but you may have some advice for me on that. I will say that the image quality is not fantastic in some of the other rooms. I had a professional installer come out and spend a few hours reconfiguring things (before he came we weren't getting any signal). I don't know if much can be done to get that signal much improved. So maybe changing things so that we have an additional receiver or two would give us the better quality image is the way to go. I just don't know how costly the extra receiver would be and we really use the DVR extensively, so sitting a room with a receiver that isn't connected to the "main" receiver with DVR probably won't work for us. Whatever the solution, if we had two rooms covered, that would probably be enough.

I don't think there is anything that I am missing. I guess where to buy the unit (order from Shaw, or buy from a retail/online resource?), would be the last one.

Again, thanks in advance for your help.

Don in Atlanta

So, if I'm understanding correctly you're currently a BEV subscriber. The best way to ensure you get signal is to switch to Shaw. My understanding is BEV reduced the signal strength to avoid snowbirds.

You should switch providers while in Canada, that way you get the best promotions, and the receiver(s) that meets your needs.

As per the dish and the LNBs it maybe easier to find them in Canada. I'll let the gurus answer as to what is the best option to get canadian dishes and LNBs.

Dish size I'm guessing should be at least 90 cm to prevent rain fade. You may need two dishes, unless you can manage to either take a Shaw dish with you or find it in the US.

A friend who used to live in Veracruz, Mexico had two 2.40 m dishes one for the SD english programming satellite and a second one for the HD and French programming.

Hope it helps you until a canadian system guru appears.

i'm not a guru, but i have learned a few things from experience. the gurus are iceberg and mike kohl, who has recently returned to the forum (yay!)

the receiver you want is 630, which requires two lines from dish. outputs are HDMI and component. if you need to connect multiple tvs (LIkely via coax) you would ned either an RF modulator or vcr.

regarding how to purchase, as kikenovic siad, if you have family in Canada and are using their address for billing, you could qualify for good deals on hardware and programming

as far as dishes, you could use the 75cm elliptical dish put out by SD. IF you do purchase through friend/relative, the 75cm would be easier. however, if there are problems with LNBF, getting replacement would be a bit harder. alternative is two separate generic round dishes with switch attached to the LNBF. upside to this is that if there are problems, replacement parts are readily available, but your setup may be a little trickier.

Before you invest in a 630 you should visit the Digital Home Forum/Canadian Internet, Phone, TV, and Wireless Providers/Shaw Direct and view the threads on the the problems with this unit. There are several threads, some "sticky" and some not, that have over a thousand posts in them. The PVR features of the 630 have been buggy to say the least, and the issues don't seem to be getting resolved, even after being on the market for some time.

There are rumors of a 700-series of receivers that are coming out, but for now, they are just that: rumors.

Also, spare LNB's for the standard Shaw dish are available from an Internet enterprise in Montreal; I keep a spare in the garage, but even after 18 months in the Arizona sun, the original unit is working fine. I had to go the standard Shaw dish route due to HOA restrictions on having more than one dish......

If you're interested in French programming only (and HD programming), you could get away with a single 90cm dish, since most of the French programming comes from the Anik F2 satellite. If you go this route you will be missing RDI and one of the French cartoon channels, and you will get almost no English programming.

Finally, be aware that Shaw is going to utilitze a third satellite that is to be launched later this year (maybe!). This new satellite, Anik G1, will not reach the southern US, and so whatever programming they put on it will not be available to you (or me). For now, it appears that the two satellites currently in use will remain in use, but I'm not sure it's been made public what, if anything, will be lost to us when this new satellite comes on line.

Last edited:
I'm also in metro Atlanta and I'm using a 75 cm dish with a 630 and a 600. It works perfectly here.

I hired someone locally to install my dish since the best line of sight was on my roof. It look a bit of time for the installer to hit both of the birds since his meter had generic info about the 2 satellites. I gave him detailed information about the specs and once he programmed that in, I was able to receive both HD and SD programming.

As for French programming, I only get SRC, RDS, RDS2 and RDS-info. Those come in just fine for me.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Thank you everyone!

I guess my only dilemma is should I wait for the 700 to come out. Does anyone know (or have a hunch) when it might be coming out?

And my second question is: Do you think I can get another year out of my BEV setup here in Atlanta? We only travel back to Canada once a summer. While it wouldn't kill us to go without tv for a few months, I'd hate for BEV to no longer distribute its signal starting this Aug, right after we get back to the USA. We do get visitors periodically, so someone could bring the unit with them mid-year, I suppose.

Thanks again for your help with this. If BEV's signal stops b/w now and the summer, I at least know the 630 with two dishes is going to be the best option for us.

Don

As for French programming, I only get SRC, RDS, RDS2 and RDS-info. Those come in just fine for me.

That's likely due to your subscription, and not due to your dish configuration. If you subscribe to an English package, you get a few French stations; and the reverse is also true: subscribe to a French package and you get a few English stations thrown in as well.

I have the "tout-en-français" package. They give you about 60 French stations in channel 700-799 range. Some of them are time-shifted versions of SRC and some of them are local stations from the TVA and V networks, so when carrying network programming, they're duplicates. I'm not sure if my package is still available; they may have re-bundled it and renamed it. A visit to the Shaw website should give you the available French packages. There is a package called "Parfait Bilingue" that has a good mix of both English and French, but I believe you have to have a service address in Québec to obtain it.

I can say this from experience - avoid the 630. It is JUNK. I cancelled my sub to Shaw Direct because of it.

peano I don't think my 630 is that bad. It's not as good as my Optic PVR in Calgary but it's nice to have a Canadian sat down here in sunny and warm AZ in the winter.

peano I don't think my 630 is that bad. It's not as good as my Optic PVR in Calgary but it's nice to have a Canadian sat down here in sunny and warm AZ in the winter.

I wouldn't be cancelling Bell yet there have been no problems getting a strong signal here in AZ we have heard that there would be no signal before and it only got better.I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's only a bunch of rumors and I sure can't see them eliminating there signal to the snowbirds they would go bankrupt over it.

Marg, it is not a rumor, just like 82W went away this next fall you will not have Bell Satellite in the southern US. They do not care about the subs they will lose, it is still a very small percentage to the overall subscription totals they have. Your only hope would be for the launch of Nimq6 to fail. It is scheduled to launch around June 30th so in the fall there will be no more Bell for you in Arizona.

SatBeams - Satellite Details - Nimiq 6

The 630 is only $140... I guess I can always use it for a couple of years then switch it out

I get the impression that a good number of people had some bad experiences with the 630. Hopefully they (Shaw) have ironed out the bugs. If not, I guess I don't have much to lose. The unit ends up costing $139.99, installed (I wonder if they'd come to Atlanta to install it -- just kidding). I would really love to be able to wait for the 700, but I may be with a dead Bell system before that happens. I need to pull the trigger this summer.

Thanks everyone for your input! This is a great forum. I'd have a hard time figuring this stuff out on my own.

Best,

Don

I'm not sure if my package is still available; they may have re-bundled it and renamed it. A visit to the Shaw website should give you the available French packages. There is a package called "Parfait Bilingue" that has a good mix of both English and French, but I believe you have to have a service address in Québec to obtain it.

per the Shaw site when you click on Parfait Bilingue Extra package it says this

Disponible seulement au Québec.

Available only in Quebec ;)

Here is the French pdf for the packages....also has bilingual options
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/documents/SD_Online_French_1111.pdf

the 700 series receiver is all rumour at this point. you shouldn't wait for something that may or may not come out. If you want to keep french programming this fall, you will need to switch to shaw direct as Bell's footprint will change. as far as which receiver to use, if you want built-in DVR, 630 is the way to go. true, some people have had major problems with this model and have voiced their complaints on the forum that joshuals speaks of. keep in mind there is a selection bias; if people don't have problems, they won't post. Personally, I've had one hiccup in a little over 7 months of having the 630, which we attributed to my 5-yr old daughter hitting the 10-second rewind repeatedly in a short time frame. after she lost her dvr privileges, we haven't had any glitches. also to note, on his site, Mike Kohl does not recommend or sell the 630 and instead suggests using a separate external recording device. also note, you can purchase 2 or 3 600's for the price of one 630.

The 6xx series receivers still have a long way to go to be programmed to their potential and are only 1.5 years old. The 7xx series was mentioned by one person on their very first post, no one else has any information on it. Odds are there will not be a 7xx series receiver for another 5 years...

If there is one lesson to be learned with Shaw Direct is to never hold your breath waiting on them. They still have not offered an external hard drive option for the 6xx series.

Salut Frenchophile,

Can you point to where Mike Kohl makes separate external recording device recommendations? I visited what I think is his only site at global-cm.net, but couldn't find any mention of it. It sounds intriguing. Merci!

Don

also note, in english programming packages, you may still be able to subscribe to French bundles and channels via pick one/pick two

as an English only sub the only French you can order is the Selection Radio (12 french radio) and the French sports combo (RDS, RDS Info, RDS2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)