Moving from Hopper to Tivo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Tivo receives 110 channels from translators in my area. About 85 of those channels should have guide info. Tivo only has guide info for 12 of the channels.
Totally worthless. Before you get a Tivo check the guide.
Bruce

Hi Lifterguy,

One other thing you can do is pick up a TIVO mini and spend another $90 on lifetime for it. The mini will be able to access all the programs on your premiere. Very similar to a Hopper/Joey setup. I am doing this with a Roamio and Premiere. When I got the Roamio, they offered me lifetime on the Premiere for $100 which was a no brainer. The nice part is that I now have 6 OTA tuners available which is way more than I need and both machines have access to both hard drives.

I keep both a Netflix and Amazon Prime sub. That gives me more to watch than I have time for. Yeah, I killed the suggestions after a few weeks. It kept filling the My Shows to the point where it was difficult to find what I wanted to see.

I thought the Mini required a 4 tuner Premier to work?

Tivo receives 110 channels from translators in my area. About 85 of those channels should have guide info. Tivo only has guide info for 12 of the channels.
Totally worthless. Before you get a Tivo check the guide.
Bruce
when you are dealing with translators its a crap shoot. If I use my lake house zip code I only get a couple of the stations guide info. CBS & PBS. We also have ABC (analog), FOX (analog), My & another FOX in digital yet those have no guide info

I currently have a hopper system with a Joey and super Joey. The sat cable feeds to an attic splitter that feeds the rooms with wall fished coax. The hopper is connected to the modem and has a Moca network setup like it should be.

My question is, if I go with TiVo Roamio and the Minis, would I be able to basically hook it up the exact same way?

My thoughts are instead of a cable from the sat it would be coming from the antenna. Hitting the same splitter in the attic, using the same wiring feeding the sat equipment.

All I would do is put the Roamio where the hopper is, hooking it to the modem, and putting the minis where the joeys are. It would I'm my mind give me the same Moca network connections that I now have.

Correct? Or no, and if no, what would I need to do differently?

Merged my thread in the pub with this one.

I am looking at a Roamio OTA and two minis.
If I have read correctly here I would need the Moca adapter as well? And likely an active splitter at the junction point in the attic?

The only differences between the OTA and the "basic"
-OTA wont work with cable card (the slot is gone)
-OTA you cant get lifetime service on it

I made a post about an hour ago about something with the new "one pass" (replaces season pass) and I removed the post. I had some wrong info (thought you couldnt select a specific channel to record anymore when in fact you can)

So the TiVo skips the built in ads while watching hulu plus?

Noticed it today catching up on three different shows. Not the first ad

Ordered a Roamio on sale from Amazon last night. Will replace 211 on 1 Dish account I cancelled and the PalDvr I've been using at lake for my mom. It's acting up some and I don't have time to take it apart right now and look for bad caps. Was going to order the channelmaster but if something goes wrong with it, I become phone support or have to drive out to lake to deal with it, so went with Tivo. Hopefully it just works as advertised. Guess I will go with the lifetime on it when it gets here.

Reactions: king3pj
Well 4 days and Amazon still hadn't shipped the Roamio, even though Monday they shipped everything else I had ordered on Saturday. I cancelled the order and went by Bestbuy and got them to price match it, which worked out better because I had forgotten I had a Bestbuy gift card left from Christmas.

Got it all setup and learning how things work and making changes to settings and such. It's pretty fast and does produce a very nice picture, found all my OTA channels, setup a bunch of timers to test it out tonight.

Hopefully my mom adjusts to it quickly, after mainly having Dish/Pal dvrs for the past 10 yrs or so. Depending how SlingTV progresses, I might have another Roamio and Mini in my future.

Yeah, I don't get what's going on at Amazon. I ordered a pair of walking shoes a few weeks back that were sold from them, and they took almost a week to even ship it out. My orders over the last year have been getting slower and slower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts