Moving houses. Should I close my current account and lease or pay to move equipment?

BlackCatt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I am an early adopter of VOOM who purchased the equipment back in Nov. of 2003. I have enjoyed the ups of VOOM and not so much the downs of VOOM. However I am still pretty sure I want to keep it given my options. I will be moving houses at the end of this month. My question is should I close my current account and open a brand new account and try to get in with a lease or should I just transfer my old equipment and pay to have it installed again? Either way I am bringing my old equipment since I own it. But if I lease it would be a second unit.

I guess I am asking what are the +'s and -'s of going either way. Is the DVR gonna be cheaper to lease for me? Are they gonna give price breaks to the early adoptors when the DVR comes out (not likely)? What have other people done?

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance,
BlackCatt

How far are you moving? I moved about 35 miles, set up my equipment at the new place and it all worked well. When I called to "Reinstall" I had big problems - mostly in the billing dept - they tried to bill me for the equipment I all ready owned. If you are up to it and are not moving too far, just take it all with you and set it up yourself.

Lease or Buy

BlackCatt said:
I am an early adopter of VOOM who purchased the equipment back in Nov. of 2003. I have enjoyed the ups of VOOM and not so much the downs of VOOM. However I am still pretty sure I want to keep it given my options. I will be moving houses at the end of this month. My question is should I close my current account and open a brand new account and try to get in with a lease or should I just transfer my old equipment and pay to have it installed again? Either way I am bringing my old equipment since I own it. But if I lease it would be a second unit.

I guess I am asking what are the +'s and -'s of going either way. Is the DVR gonna be cheaper to lease for me? Are they gonna give price breaks to the early adoptors when the DVR comes out (not likely)? What have other people done?

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance,
BlackCatt

The choice is yours, if you lease you have to create a new account, with the special going on now you can get a three room install for $1.00, plus rental fees, extra outlet fee is dropped. If you decide to reinstall your old receiver then you will have to pay the $125.00 transfer fee, regardless of whether you install yourself or not. Also, there is no option for leasing and purchasing on the same account. If you decide to lease then you cannot use your existing receiver on that account as a second unit.
You might also try this option, start out on the lease contract, at the end of the contract drop the leased equipment and add your purchased equipment to the account.

gross67 said:
How far are you moving? I moved about 35 miles, set up my equipment at the new place and it all worked well. When I called to "Reinstall" I had big problems - mostly in the billing dept - they tried to bill me for the equipment I all ready owned. If you are up to it and are not moving too far, just take it all with you and set it up yourself.

I am moving about 25 miles away. I could possibly set everything back up myself but I would like to set myself up for multi-room viewing when I get more STB's and hopefully the DVR and I don't know if I trust myself with that.

spahoose said:
The choice is yours, if you lease you have to create a new account, with the special going on now you can get a three room install for $1.00, plus rental fees, extra outlet fee is dropped. If you decide to reinstall your old receiver then you will have to pay the $125.00 transfer fee, regardless of whether you install yourself or not. Also, there is no option for leasing and purchasing on the same account. If you decide to lease then you cannot use your existing receiver on that account as a second unit.
You might also try this option, start out on the lease contract, at the end of the contract drop the leased equipment and add your purchased equipment to the account.

So if I want multiple rooms installed / setup then it might be better to go with the new lease. Would I qualify as a new customer since I would just be cancelling this month and signing up next month? Has anyone done what you suggested by going with a lease until the end of the contract then switching to the purchased equipment? If I just switch to the lease, what would I do with my current equipment (assuming I don't try to re-use it after my lease term is up)?

spahoose said:
The choice is yours, if you lease you have to create a new account, with the special going on now you can get a three room install for $1.00, plus rental fees, extra outlet fee is dropped. If you decide to reinstall your old receiver then you will have to pay the $125.00 transfer fee, regardless of whether you install yourself or not.

Not neccessarily. When I moved last summer I took my equipment with me and installed it at the new place. I then called Voom and told them I needed to change my address. CSR did it over the phone without a hassle. And I wasn't charged. I am leasing my box.

Yes, I should have just called with a new address as well - The problem is that BlackCat owns the equipment and wants more receivers ($299 a pop plus install I think).

My advice? BlackCat, set it all up yourself, then buy a DVR and get your multiple rooms then (Your box, the DVR and any others you want to add with the DVR).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts