Moving in July, lease doesnt accept DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daveyboy2579

Original poster
May 11, 2009
NY
im moving in july have about 10mths left on my DTV contract. the apartment lease specifically says they dont allow dtv, only cable. trust must i would love to keep dtv, tw is garbage in this area hardly any hd channels. this was pretty much the only apartment i could find in my price range where heat was included so my options were limited. will i be able to not get charged the cancellation fee. what if i fax/email the lease form. i really cant afford the $200 fee. what should be the process, call dtv 1st or just say im moving and have them see that its not allowed. id like more information on this. if you want to pm me so lurkers who are looking to scam dtv dont use the info thats fine too. id apprectiate any advice. thank you

im moving in july have about 10mths left on my DTV contract. the apartment lease specifically says they dont allow dtv, only cable. trust must i would love to keep dtv, tw is garbage in this area hardly any hd channels. this was pretty much the only apartment i could find in my price range where heat was included so my options were limited. will i be able to not get charged the cancellation fee. what if i fax/email the lease form. i really cant afford the $200 fee. what should be the process, call dtv 1st or just say im moving and have them see that its not allowed. id like more information on this. if you want to pm me so lurkers who are looking to scam dtv dont use the info thats fine too. id apprectiate any advice. thank you
By law they can't stop you from getting sat. service.

daveyboy2579 said:

As mentioned OTARD is your friend here.

If you have already signed a lease, I would request a copy of their policy on dishes, then give them a copy of the OTARD rules and see what they have to say about it. They can put some restrictions on where you can put a dish, but they can't outright forbid you from having one.

If you have already signed a lease, I would request a copy of their policy on dishes, then give them a copy of the OTARD rules and see what they have to say about it. They can put some restrictions on where you can put a dish, but they can't outright forbid you from having one.

Of course, they could make life difficult for you in other areas down the road ....

Of course, they could make life difficult for you in other areas down the road ....

True, but this is a principal thing here, Jimbo. Besides, I don't live there! ;) :D

If the lease agreement says no dishes and you sign the lease good luck trying to battle it in court.

On the other hand if your window(s), sliding door, whatever face the proper direction and you put up a dish inside the place somehow they can't kick your door down and take the dish away.

OP,
IF your getting a apt that faces the correct way and it has a balcony, you can set it up on the balcony and there's not much they can do about it as you are in "your" space.
Make sure not to cause any damage at all when mounting it, do not mount it to the railings. Do not drill any holes to bolt it down, those would give them the right to act on it.

Use a concrete bucket with a pole in it ... very old and efficient way.
There are also online places you can get set ups that do not require anything being mounted permanently.

If the lease agreement says no dishes and you sign the lease good luck trying to battle it in court.

On the other hand if your window(s), sliding door, whatever face the proper direction and you put up a dish inside the place somehow they can't kick your door down and take the dish away.

A document that is in violation of the law can't be enforced even if you sign it. Prohibiting dishes outright is illegal.

daveyboy2579 said:

Set up a movers connection and play dumb. When they find that there is no LOS I'm sure the contract will be forgiven...

A document that is in violation of the law can't be enforced even if you sign it. Prohibiting dishes outright is illegal.

Well-said :up

Do you guys know if this situation applies to a Homeowners Association or a "neighboorhood" group that doesn't allow satt dish installs? It doesn't apply to me but I was curious.

Before I bought my house, I checked on this to insure no issues.

Well-said :up

Do you guys know if this situation applies to a Homeowners Association or a "neighboorhood" group that doesn't allow satt dish installs? It doesn't apply to me but I was curious.

Before I bought my house, I checked on this to insure no issues.

There are some allowances for dish placement in a HOA area. They can restrict you to the back yard, for instances, if you can get a LOS from there. No one can tell you outright that you can't have one at all.

Raoul pretty much hit it on the head.

HOA's can request the dishes are put of of view but if you cant get signal there and can, say in the front they cannot restrict it as long as you have exclusive use of that area

There are some allowances for dish placement in a HOA area. They can restrict you to the back yard, for instances, if you can get a LOS from there. No one can tell you outright that you can't have one at all.

Raoul pretty much hit it on the head.

HOA's can request the dishes are put of of view but if you cant get signal there and can, say in the front they cannot restrict it as long as you have exclusive use of that area

Thanks, guys. I'll remember this info if it's needed in the future.

Regardless if the landlord can tell him he can't install a dish, isn't the ETF prorated according to how long you've had the service out of the two years?

Thanks, guys. I'll remember this info if it's needed in the future.

my HOA tried it with me and my OTA antenna...For dishes they request that its on your deck or deck or on the edge of the roof not facing the driveway. Well my antenna was on the deck but had issues with some channels so I put it on the roof and the rule says "cant be more than 12 feet above the roof line"...mine is 8.

They said I couldnt do that and I explained that per OTARD I am covered because I need to put it there to receive the signal :)

Funny part is I'm the president of the HOA.....so we argue over my dish farm all the time. I have a 6 footer I wheel out in front of my garage to get some satellites that the house blocks on the other side. They said I couldnt leave it out for the weekend. I explained the rules state we can park cars one deep in front of the garage. Well my truck is in the garage so I'm parking that in front of the garage :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts