Moving in with BF, What to do about DTV??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leenga

Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
I am a long time DirecTv customer. I have two DirecTivos that I love.

I'll be moving in with my BF who currently has Comcast. Trying to figure out what is best to do.

I can have him sign up for a new DTV account which will give us really good pricing the first year and a new Directv DVR for free. But if I want to use my Tivo units, we will more than likely have to pay $20 each in fees for new access cards since the new account will be in his name.

Or I can use DTV movers connection and just move my service, but then we lose out on the new customer pricing.

Not sure what to do. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of situation. Is there any benefit to just moving my existing services other than saving on having to buy new access cards??

If you do go with the new customer then you could get a referral and get an extra $10/per month for 10 months.

If your two year commitment is over, I would sign up as a new customer. If you move you would still have a new two year commitment, so you may as well get some perks out of it.

I know this is heresy,but why not just keep both? I have D* & I have Charter Cable(who gave me a deal with increasing my internet speed to 20mps.They[Charter cable] also had me sign up for a,get this,.....24 month commitment for cable,high speed internet(increasing from 5mps to 20mps was worth it),& phone service with unlimited long distance with my monthly bill dropping $10.00.)
We're just fortunate that the house is paid for & we don't owe anything on our cars. We just pay utilities,cell phone,property tax,Charter Cable,& D*.

My advice as an installer,

Suspend your account as you move in with the BF. It will cost you $5.00 / mo. See how you like the cable AND see how you like living etc. with the BF. You can still get him to open an account and have all the FREE stuff.

AND your account will still be open if you need the mover's connection for yourself. I think of all the ex spouses who had to sweat blood to separate their current credit history from that #@%## ex BF or husband who ran all that unpaid PPV.

Just looking on the down side of a 50 / 50 bet.

Good luck,

Joe

I just can't imagine any woman intelligent enough to not have cable having anything to do with a guy who would deal with Comcast. The compatability seems to me to be a much bigger issue than what to do with D*.

At least there was no proposed option to just accept his horrible Comcast, which would have really been just WRONG! Maybe the poor guy can be educated by a smart woman........

One other aspect to consider is the total cost. I get a $17 discount on my high speed internet from comcast by subscribing to cable television. The cheapest cable tv package is a ~$9 basic analog package...I think its just the locals and a couple of shopping channels, cspan.

But its still cheaper to have the basic cable and internet than internet alone. of course, the next step up to extended basic or basic digital is a good chunk of change, but last time I looked there were several comcast promos that would get you cable internet and basic digital for not a lot more money than cable internet by itself.

Can you use it? I have a couple of series 1 tivo's on it recording pbs shows and some backups of our regular shows that we dont want to lose if the directv box decides not to record it. I'm seriously considering sticking one of the dual tuner network tuner boxes in and plugging it into the cable, which would let my htpc tune and record shows with media center and also let any computer in the house lock a tuner and watch live tv. Neither of those things is plausible with directv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)