Moving Question...Nashville

erikc

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Tennessee
I was a member here years ago, but I guess my profile went away. Anyway, here I am. I live in the Nashville area and get the HD locals on the western arc. I'll temporarily be assigned near Memphis (35 miles east of town). Ill be taking my receiver, since nobody will be back home for a while. From what I can tell on the spot beam maps, I should still be able to see my local news channels over there. Can anyone confirm my research? I'm not too sharp when it comes to translating transponders into spotbeam maps, but from what I can tell, I should be good to go. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

I was a member here years ago, but I guess my profile went away. Anyway, here I am. I live in the Nashville area and get the HD locals on the western arc. I'll temporarily be assigned near Memphis (35 miles east of town). Ill be taking my receiver, since nobody will be back home for a while. From what I can tell on the spot beam maps, I should still be able to see my local news channels over there. Can anyone confirm my research? I'm not too sharp when it comes to translating transponders into spotbeam maps, but from what I can tell, I should be good to go. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Yes Nashville and Memphis are on the same spot beam, spotbeam 38. Are you planning to do your own install of the antenna (dish) or are you having it done by Dish? If Dish does it, they'll set you up for the Memphis locals since that's the DMA in which you'll be residing. If you do it yourself, don't change the service address from Nashville, because if you do, Dish will provide Memphis locals and not Nashville. Or if Dish does the install and sets you up for Memphis, just call and switch your service address back to your Nashville address. Both are also on the eastern arc and are on different spots so if Dish does an eastern arc install, you may not be as lucky just switching the service address back to Nashville.

If they have not dialed the power down on the transponder, it looks like the spot should be good for the western arc. The eastern arc spot is a little more questionable.

Does your receiver have ota and can you put up an antena at your new location? If so you might be able to the locals from both cities. You might need an amplified antenna. I'm in the Rochester NY dma, but with a rooftop antenna with a booster I can get Syracuse ota with no problem. I'm about 50 miles from the Syracuse transmitters.
You can go to tvfool.com and check signal strengths.

That's the plan. I'd like to set up some rabbit ears for the locals, but still keep up with things back home. Several years ago, I was working in Memphis, and a did the same (back in '04 or so), with a dish 500. Something happened with the spotbeams one day, and I was forced to switch to the Memphis locals. I was hoping to keep everything on Nashville this time, and it sounds like I'm good to go. FYI, this will be a 722k, with a dish 1000.2 west arc. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Joey over VPN?

Access to EHDs in multi-Hopper architecture

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)