Moving Recorded Shows between Accounts (Not Allowed)

Heck, content owners don't even want you to have a permanent version of their content. This is why they've been pushing crap like Ultraviolet. I remember a quote from George Lucas about video tapes. He said that it really bothered him that people could watch one of his movies multiple times while only paying for it once. He felt that he should get paid every time that movie was watched.

True. A creater saying that I understand why they would. But reality is when you make something to be seen or heard, there is a limit to what remains protected and what becomes fair use when paid for. And it has been demonstrated over and over, the more you restrict the more it hurts the industry. The more you make it available at somewhat of a reasonable cost, the more the industry prospers. Happened with movies early on, happened when music went digital and could be heard anywhere on anything. In fact the $1.29 or so single song purchase over having to pay for a whole album liberated both the buyer and the industry.

The rules are in place by the request of the programmers. If DISH did not agree to those rules then we would have external storage. I have talked with DISH about this and their hands are tied on this one unfortunately. :(

They are afraid you will record a show or move and then bring it over your friends house to share.

Ok, except for being able to transfer to a computer (A good thing) sounds like Dish, where you can transfer between units on your account also.
Keep in mind, you are probably paying for that ability of transfering to a computer. I have not checked in awhile but something like $12.95 a month or $500 lifetime of device after purchasing the unit. Some of that most likely is an industry fee, some because they can fee.
Well technically, you're paying Tivo for the guide, and it is expensive. $19.95/month without a contract, $14.95/month with a 1 year contract or $12.95/month for any Tivo after the first one (with a contract). And finally lifetime service is $499.99 for the first Tivo and $399.99 for any Tivo after that (up to six Tivo's on one account).

I bought an older Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime off of craigslist for $50 for my 32" crt bedroom tv. Tivo was offering deals for people with lifetimed Series 2, but without a HD Tivo. So I picked up a refurbished 500gb Premiere with lifetime sub for $529.98. I use it for ota and it works very well with my HTPC (which has three tuners). With six tuners to record from, a HTPC (with 2 X360 extenders) and three Roku players, I'm all set if we decide to "cut the cord".

Cable shows on TiVo can be marked by the the cable company as no copies allowed. So, TiVo will not allow transfer to a PC of these shows.

Well technically, you're paying Tivo for the guide, and it is expensive. $19.95/month without a contract, $14.95/month with a 1 year contract or $12.95/month for any Tivo after the first one (with a contract). And finally lifetime service is $499.99 for the first Tivo and $399.99 for any Tivo after that (up to six Tivo's on one account).

I bought an older Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime off of craigslist for $50 for my 32" crt bedroom tv. Tivo was offering deals for people with lifetimed Series 2, but without a HD Tivo. So I picked up a refurbished 500gb Premiere with lifetime sub for $529.98. I use it for ota and it works very well with my HTPC (which has three tuners). With six tuners to record from, a HTPC (with 2 X360 extenders) and three Roku players, I'm all set if we decide to "cut the cord".

Good info, Thanks. Btw - I'm not knocking Tivo at all. Under the right circumstances I could be interested in it. Just pointing out when someone compares it and says you can do this or that, it's not like you buy it then everything is free. (I know for a fact many people think that) There's an ongoing cost for what it can do.

Network connected Tivo's on the same account can transfer and stream content with each other. You can also transfer content to store and watch on a pc and even transfer it back to one of your Tivo's. There is software available that will allow pc stored content to be converted to other formats that can be watched on mobile devices or on someone else's pc (which can be watched on Tivos attached to a different account). And there is software available that allows streaming of pc stored content to your Tivo's. The only content that can't be transferred are cable recordings that are flagged "copy once" (like HBO). Although you can still stream it between two units. Content recorded on a Tivo is your's to keep and not the providers to take away.

And TiVo doesn't really like this, but they have the legacy of open source and has a legacy BEFORE the content providers and owners became more restrictive. This is why no subsequent DVR (and, of course, RePlay TV with similar features was released at the same time as TiVo--along with the DishPlayer 7000 with software by Microsoft--in those content owner ignorant days) has ever had a transfer to PC feature. The content owners have come to DESPISE this. Also, because of the open source, there are all sorts of published work arounds on the internet for sorts of little extras for all boxes up to the Series 4. The Series 4 comes with a few more restrictions in this regard, but not entirely locked down, but being locked down is TiVo's goal, and the TiVo forums grumble about it. And most TiVo users find the officially sanctioned TiVo Desktop to restrictive and use alternatives from the net, and now TiVo wants to charge for any TiVo Desktop.

A TiVo external HDD is "married" to that particular DVR forever and can be used only to increase recording capacity, functioning like a Dish 211K, not for archiving, an inferior solution in my IMHO, and I am a TiVo owner like the TiVo product. When that HDD dies, so do ALL of your recordings, even those that may be on the internal HDD. Disconnect the external HDD and changing it, than the same result: All recordings lost, even those on the internal HDD as some recordings are actually spanned between the internal and external HDD.

However, the key for the external HDD's on Dish is tied to the account, and when the use of HDD's is at the conditions that content providers and owners will allow. Dish and other MVPD's or TiVo don't necessarily care what you do with the content (except for when the content people pressure them), but ALL restrictions for any of these devices is all imposed by the content owners and providers. It may have been the only way Dish could get them to agree to an external HDD feature without being sued, which means a court will halt production and sale of such disputed device or service until resolved, many years later. So, it is all about getting everyone to agree to a scheme and move forward with no lawsuits. Not consumer friendly at all.

Last edited:
Heck, content owners don't even want you to have a permanent version of their content. This is why they've been pushing crap like Ultraviolet. I remember a quote from George Lucas about video tapes. He said that it really bothered him that people could watch one of his movies multiple times while only paying for it once. He felt that he should get paid every time that movie was watched.

Does he still hold to that view? Considering the tremendous wealth he's accumulated with people buying content on media that consumers can view over and over again, I hope he has changed his view.

Network connected Tivo's on the same account can transfer and stream content with each other. You can also transfer content to store and watch on a pc and even transfer it back to one of your Tivo's. There is software available that will allow pc stored content to be converted to other formats that can be watched on mobile devices or on someone else's pc (which can be watched on Tivos attached to a different account). And there is software available that allows streaming of pc stored content to your Tivo's. The only content that can't be transferred are cable recordings that are flagged "copy once" (like HBO). Although you can still stream it between two units. Content recorded on a Tivo is your's to keep and not the providers to take away.

Streaming content between TiVo's is ONLY Series 4 (all Premier models), and S4 is controversial for it poor, underpowered performance compared to the Series 3 which gets a lot of love compared to the numerous posts of contempt for the S4 units (I've experienced the PAIN of the S4 Premier line, the S3's are sublime). We are hoping TiVo gets it right with Series 5. The public postings of the FCC give us some hope.

Last edited:
I've never read all the details of my DISH contract. I doubt if many have. This appears to work differently than say ITunes, where having purchased a recording you can make private use copies. With DISH your DVR fee allows you to view only those recordings made with a device associated to a particular account with a device associated to a particular account. The recording is not yours. TiVo would seem a better way to go if you have concerns about flexibility or long term commitment.

But that means the MSO's: CABLE TV. Or the FLAG intensive Verizon FiOS that is causing TiVo users grief beyond belief. UHHHG. I thank many here would go to DirecTV (a good service) before cable, and that includes me.

This kind of sucks.... I guess maybe I record way too much stuff.... and my DVR fills up so I dump it to external drives.... not like it's CRITICAL stuff here.... but never thought I would just have to abandon it all....

I watch and then DELETE stuff.... like most people.... and get a DVD or BluRay if I really like something....

I just wanted to watch my recorded shows.... this is pretty crazy they don't allow that. (or at least allow it a certain # of times).... like once... would be nice.

I mean... I have a heavily modified TiVo series 1 (sony brand svr-2000) those devices were awesome, and there are ways to bypass HDCP protection... if I REALLY WANTED TO.... but I just wanted to be able to watch all that crap i recorded and then delete it....without a big hassle.

oh well....

Anything I've ever really wanted I've recorded to a DVD recorder. True, not HD, but a good SD with a good bit-rate and a good up scaling DVD or Blu-ray player, and it is almost an HD experience (having recorded from an HD channel,not Dish's horrid PQ SD channels) and really easy to focus on the content and forget it's not HD.

The rules are nonsense and as such should have no place in a civilized society. If you make an analog recording, you can watch it wherever and whenever you want. Therefore, a digital recording should be no different. Anyone who says otherwise has no credibility as a rational human being, as far as I'm concerned.

You are correct, sir, but the problem is that is NOT how the greedy content owners see it. They were busy snooping on 13 year old girls on the internet as they downloaded bubble gum pop and promptly sued their parents and settled for cash payments form the hapless family in the thousands of dollars. GREED; AVARICE!

The whole push to the digital broadcast realm was in large part for the content providers to put tighter controls on copy protection. There are no rational human beings in the MPAA or broadcast arena.

I would say the push to HDMI, not the digital realm as DirecTV and Dish as we know it as a formidable competitor to cable or MSO's would be IMPOSSIBLE without digital technology.

Last edited:
Streaming content between TiVo's is ONLY Series 4 (all Premier models), and S4 is controversial for it poor, underpowered performance compared to the Series 3 which gets a lot of love compared to the numerous posts of contempt for the S4 units (I've experienced the PAIN of the S4 Premier line, the S3's are sublime). We are hoping TiVo gets it right with Series 5. The public postings of the FCC give us some hope.

Of course I was talking about the Premiere models. Those are the only models Tivo currently makes. And the S3 models are better than the S4's in only two ways, they can handle mutlipath ota signals better and they can be modded. Otherwise the S4 models are far superior compared to the S3's. Streaming between S4's alone make it a better choice when it comes to a multiple tv solution. The S4's are far more future-proof compared to the S3's because they can handle MPEG4 while the S3's can't. And the 4 tuner models combined with the new Mini is a good choice for a WHDVR. Of course I still feel my HTPC with X360 extenders are the best. Both Tivo's and HTPC's are more versatile products than what pay-tv providers are offering.

I am planning on moving out of my parent's house and want to take dish and my dish recordings with me. Dish suggested making a new account for myself in the new location. I told them but I heard my recordings won't work on a new account. But they INSIST that is wrong and they will work on any account by transferring them with an EHD. I've been told this by 4 reps: 3 on the phone, 1 in chat. Am I missing something here or are they all wrong?

And the best thing for me to do would be to move our current account to my new place and let my parents open a new account, correct? They have no recordings to worry about, only me.

I am planning on moving out of my parent's house and want to take dish and my dish recordings with me. Dish suggested making a new account for myself in the new location. I told them but I heard my recordings won't work on a new account. But they INSIST that is wrong and they will work on any account by transferring them with an EHD. I've been told this by 4 reps: 3 on the phone, 1 in chat. Am I missing something here or are they all wrong?

And the best thing for me to do would be to move our current account to my new place and let my parents open a new account, correct? They have no recordings to worry about, only me.

They gave you bad information. If you want the recordings, take the account with you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Wow. They are ALL wrong. How can so many people make such an egregious blunder?

Exactly. Good move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)