Moving service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

buddy42

Original poster
Apr 28, 2012
huntsville al
I want to move my direct tv service to a new home with a direct satellite already installed. The house is also prewired with hook ups in every room. I only get searching for satellite signal if I connect my receiver to the room outlets and my satellite wire to the corresponding wire in my box outside. Is there anything I need to connect between my receiver and the connector on the inside wall?

I should also add that my friend brought his portable dish over and it only works if ran straight to the receiver and won't work if hooked up outside to use the existing wiring.

What does the dish look like? Round? Oval? How many LNBs?

Just because the house is prewired does not mean every outlet in that house is connected to that dish. I HIGHLY doubt all of them are.
Techs only hook up the rooms that have Receivers and TVs in them.

Once you find out your Dish type and Switch Type (Multi or SWM) you need to go into your satellite set up and change the dish type and switch type to the corresponding choices.

To do this you must press Menu (or on Dxxs and Rxxs hold Info) and you should see the option either Repeat Satellite set up, or system set up. Go into that and press the dash button, under number 7. And enter the correct settings.

Good luck. Let us know what you are working with and we can help you config.
Also because it only works when he hooks up a jumper to the portable dish, that could indicate wiring issues somewhere. Check wall plates, make sure they are rated for DTV. Check for any unnecessary connections.

The dish is oval with only 1 LNB. None of the rooms are wired up for Direct Tv. The satellite cable runs straight to the box outside the house with the wires for all the outlets. The original owners had Direct TV until they switched to cable, so at one point I know the outlet I'm trying to use worked with Direct. The satellite only has 1 cable running from it because the original owners only had 1 receiver, which is all I have at the moment. For some reason, it just won't work when I try to use the wall connection. It's like it doesn't receive a strong enough connection to pick up the satellite.

It's because the cable company has hooked their service back up so somewhere you have a cable splitter. If its just got 1 line it may be a SWM system which would require a power inserter. Does the dish say slimline on it?

Cable internet is hooked up now, but the cable tech said we still should be able to use satellite at any of the locations the modem wasn't hooked up. The dish looks like the slimlines, but I can't remember if I saw it wrote on my particular dish. What happens if it has a cable splitter in the line?

Any splitters in line will have to be replaced with barrels. If you use a swm type lnb, then you can use splitters, but only swm approved ones.

The splitters would probably be in the attic, wouldn't they? Would replacing the splitters interfere with the cable internet hooked up? Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep you posted.

You need to determine which line is running your Internet. Once you've done this DON'T TOUCH IT. Then you need to determine what kind of dish you have. If its SWM you need to trace a line all the way to a room. You will need to place a power inserter in this line and make sure it's hooked up to either the approved SWM splitters power pass port or straight to the dish. If you have an old school LNB you will need to trace a line to a location and make sure it's hooked up to the dish. From there you need to just simply hook it up and sit and wait for it to receive the satellite signal and BAM you're eating popcorn watching tv. :)

The splitters would probably be in the attic, wouldn't they? Would replacing the splitters interfere with the cable internet hooked up? Thanks for all your replies. I'll keep you posted.

The splitters could be anywhere, the lines need to be traced. The cable internet has to be kept separate from the Directv cables, they can't be on the same lines.

raoul5788 said:
The splitters could be anywhere, the lines need to be traced. The cable internet has to be kept separate from the Directv cables, they can't be on the same lines.

Start outside where the cable meets the house and follow it from there. Its going to be you fastest way. If it leads to the attic you know your splitter is there, if it oes to the crawl space then it's there. They're placed in different spots so each house is different

Status
Please reply by conversation.